Becoming an efficient DIY hunter

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Becoming an efficient DIY hunter

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:03 am

Just got done listening to the RR7 podcast. Good listen for any guys that are going to be taking trips. Spysar and RR7 both have it dialed in. Typically, I get a chance to kill couple good bucks in a season, however, I could do better. In my all day sits, really had a lot of time to think about becoming more efficient.

Historical data is really important. Joe is always talking about it. Its one of the biggest takeaways that I have picked up from this site. Collecting data, analyzing it then trying to correlate the data into a hunting plan. Why am I sitting / hunting an area for 10 days, sitting all day. WHEN, I really could do the same thing in 3-5 day period. Granted, I get chances to kill A good buck.That gives another 7 days to hunt a neighboring state. The passed couple years, it really hit me.

Collecting data is great. But if you don't study it...try to figure out annual patterns with it, the data does not do you a lot of good.

So I decided to forfeit my KS tag so I could get more time in NE. (guess state KS decided it was time for me to see some different ground) :lol:

Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: Becoming an efficient DIY hunter

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:41 am

Getting it done in just a couple days impressed me so much about Andy. It must suck though filling your tags in 2 days all the time. A lot less sunsets to watch from the tree. :whistle:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:50 am

No offense to Spysar, but RR7 is on a totally different level as far as efficiency. He's arguably one of the best trophy hunters in America in that regard.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:18 pm

Both are phenomenal hunters and i have gone through old post and tried to learn as much as possible from both of them. So many amazing hunters on this sight just love learning from all of them.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:26 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:No offense to Spysar, but RR7 is on a totally different level as far as efficiency. He's arguably one of the best trophy hunters in America in that regard.

I would disagree with that statement. You mustn't have followed Spy as long as I have.
I would argue equals...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:56 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:No offense to Spysar, but RR7 is on a totally different level as far as efficiency. He's arguably one of the best trophy hunters in America in that regard.

I would disagree with that statement. You mustn't have followed Spy as long as I have.
I would argue equals...

Eric is working with far more vacation. Andy isn't taking a 3 week venison tour during the rut. He has a 3-4 days of vacation during the rut. He has very little vacation overall. Andy also has a wife and kids.

Again no offense to Spy. I look up to him, but man is RR7 efficient. Elite force serial killer.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm new to this site but I'm just curious if someone goes aggressive and has instant success and another hunter plays it safe and picks his spots. Both get there deer, how is one better than the other? I always here hunting is not a competition but every time I turn around its who is better than who. I'm just curious
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:30 pm

I think we/they hunt as works best for us/them. No competition. Guys just like to make that stuff up.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:00 pm

I have talked with Mark many times about getting Andy on the podcast. It was a good podcast they did. Looking forward to him coming back on to dive in with more detail next time. Great stuff!!!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:32 pm

I would gladly take advice or hear strategy from either spy or rr7. No ratings system here just feed my brain.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:45 pm

I enjoy the journey of being a DYI hunter. I don't really want to seal the deal in short time frame. The season is short enough already. I want to get as much "tree stand therapy" as humanly possible during a season. When I was young I used to shoot the first buck that came by, sometimes I'd be done buck hunting in 1 or 2 days. That was efficient, but kind of disappointing too.

The problem with the overlapping seasons of other states, I feel like I'd be shortchanging my WI hunting & season. I want to totally exhaust WI public lands before I move to another state. If I'm fortunate enough to shoot a good buck with my bow early, I will start exploring more of WI for the upcoming years. Though, doing an out of state hunt with another "beast", is on my bucket list.

Guys, I don't think hunters compare themselves to each other, as much as outsiders do. I know I definitely don't! Only the bucks & I are in my equation. I am here learning how to become a better hunter, not trying to impress anyone!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Blinginpse

Unread postby Blinginpse » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:58 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:http://wiredtohunt.com/2017/07/27/wired-to-hunt-podcast-162-planning-executing-diy-deer-hunting-trips-with-andy-may-live-from-the-qdma-convention/

Thank you I was lost
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:10 pm

tgreeno wrote:I enjoy the journey of being a DYI hunter. I don't really want to seal the deal in short time frame. The season is short enough already. I want to get as much "tree stand therapy" as humanly possible during a season. When I was young I used to shoot the first buck that came by, sometimes I'd be done buck hunting in 1 or 2 days. That was efficient, but kind of disappointing too.

The problem with the overlapping seasons of other states, I feel like I'd be shortchanging my WI hunting & season. I want to totally exhaust WI public lands before I move to another state. If I'm fortunate enough to shoot a good buck with my bow early, I will start exploring more of WI for the upcoming years. Though, doing an out of state hunt with another "beast", is on my bucket list.

Guys, I don't think hunters compare themselves to each other, as much as outsiders do. I know I definitely don't! Only the bucks & I are in my equation. I am here learning how to become a better hunter, not trying to impress anyone!

And that the whole reason I started the post. No matter what spot your at...always more to learn. You can either say "we'll if I had what he had" or you figure to do better with what you DO have.

What I look for in my own game are ways to improve. The challenge is what drives me. When you can sit back and really not care if people think your good a hunter or not as good as that guy...only then can you truly enjoy hunting to its fullest. Because there is always going to be someone who shoots better and bigger bucks.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:09 pm

tgreeno wrote:I enjoy the journey of being a DYI hunter. I don't really want to seal the deal in short time frame. The season is short enough already. I want to get as much "tree stand therapy" as humanly possible during a season. When I was young I used to shoot the first buck that came by, sometimes I'd be done buck hunting in 1 or 2 days. That was efficient, but kind of disappointing too.

I agree with this. My level of satisfaction goes way up up when I have a real tough season and then finally kill a hard earned buck. The ones I got very early in the season weren't nearly as satisfying. Last year it took me 19 days and 112 hours on stand to kill my Iowa buck. My first time bear hunting in 2006 I killed a bear on opening day after only a few hours on stand. I'll be honest it was kinda disappointing. In 2015 I spent 7 days and over 50 hrs on stand, passed some nice ones and ended up killing an average bear. My goal was to get the full experience and that was mission accomplished. I thoroughly enjoy every bit of those tough hunts. Don't think I will ever be an efficient hunter.

Some guys want to fill as many tags as possible but I'm just not wired that way. Give me one or two good bucks a year and I am completely satisfied. Never been about numbers for me. When I see guys killing 4-5 or more big bucks a year I wonder if they are truly enjoying each one or if they are just too focussed on the next one and only look at them as numbers. Kinda sad to see nice bucks minimized like that. Each one is special to me, even the small bucks I killed in my younger years.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”