Drone Usage?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lastcast#1

Re: Drone Usage?

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:42 am

JoeRE wrote:Some states have banned them for assisting a hunt but I am pretty sure thier use will become mainstream. Just like 4-5 years ago everyone was against cell cameras and now it seems like a majority are Ok with them. Give drones another 5 years to sink in.

The blood of those who resist shall grease the almighty wheels of progress, and that probably includes me :? :lol:

Throw me into the grinder as well Joe. Michigan passed legislation early on to ban drones and I hope it stays that way on public land..I imagine your right though.

Chad

Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:14 am

I don't understand why drones are being outlawed on public lands. If my wife who is a non hunter and want to use her drone to follow her hiking routes or to capture scenery on public land, I think that she should be allowed to.
We as hunters sometimes forget about the non hunting community, they have just as much rights to use the land for their enjoyment.
I also have no problem with people that want to use a drone for hunting related activities.
whitetaildna
Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitetaildna

Unread postby whitetaildna » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:32 am

To the original question, I would never use a drone to see if a buck is in his bed.

To the rest of the thread, I own a drone and love it. I don't use it during the hunting season though. Like most people stated already, states have already caught on and in most states it's illegal to use during hunting season. I don't think it replaces any scouting though as some kind of referred to, as you still need to get boots on the ground to truly figure out a property. But it does allow you to see a property from a different perspective which can be an added benefit. Technology is continually changing, and if used correctly, I don't see why a drone can't be a tool to help someone be successful.
Alex Comstock

Founder of WhitetailDNA

http://www.whitetaildna.com
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:39 am

Findian, in Pennsylvania hunters paid for the state game lands by buying hunting licenses, they have purchased over a million and a half acres since the inception of the game lands system. Tax payers money from the general fund did not buy the land. So as far as I am concerned the general public has no right or privilege do do anything on game lands that the PA Game Commission prohibits. We have a problem in this country, people buy toys and have they have no where to play with them so they expect someone else to provide the playground.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:31 am

Seems like a fair chase issue to me. The line between man vs beast and machine vs beast is getting more and more blurry.
woodswalker
500 Club

Unread postby woodswalker » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:42 am

How can it be fair chase to use a drone as an actual part of a hunt? In many states of you fly into a camp, you are not allowed to hunt until the next day. There is a good reason for that, so the hunter and the pilot do not use the plane to locate animals and then immediately hunt for the animals. It may seem like fair chase to some but it sure is not fair chase to send out a machine to report back to you where the quarry is so you can then pursue it. In my state it is unlawful to drive around trying to locate game with your vehicle and then get out and try to kill that animal and I am glad it is and those who get caught doing it get prosecuted. Substituting machines and gadgets and gizmos for out door skills cheapen the act of hunting.
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:17 am

woodswalker wrote:How can it be fair chase to use a drone as an actual part of a hunt? In many states of you fly into a camp, you are not allowed to hunt until the next day. There is a good reason for that, so the hunter and the pilot do not use the plane to locate animals and then immediately hunt for the animals. It may seem like fair chase to some but it sure is not fair chase to send out a machine to report back to you where the quarry is so you can then pursue it. In my state it is unlawful to drive around trying to locate game with your vehicle and then get out and try to kill that animal and I am glad it is and those who get caught doing it get prosecuted. Substituting machines and gadgets and gizmos for out door skills cheapen the act of hunting.

I agree. I was implying that using a drone should not be considered fair chase.
woodswalker
500 Club

Unread postby woodswalker » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:27 am

I apologize, I missed the word "issue" when I read your post. It seems we are in agreement.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:29 am

woodswalker wrote:How can it be fair chase to use a drone as an actual part of a hunt? In many states of you fly into a camp, you are not allowed to hunt until the next day. There is a good reason for that, so the hunter and the pilot do not use the plane to locate animals and then immediately hunt for the animals. It may seem like fair chase to some but it sure is not fair chase to send out a machine to report back to you where the quarry is so you can then pursue it. In my state it is unlawful to drive around trying to locate game with your vehicle and then get out and try to kill that animal and I am glad it is and those who get caught doing it get prosecuted. Substituting machines and gadgets and gizmos for out door skills cheapen the act of hunting.

If you are using it to locate deer to go out and kill that day, then by no means is it fair chase.

Now if you are using it as a scouting tool out of season, to me it is no different than using google earth.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:55 am

Jonny wrote:

If you are using it to locate deer to go out and kill that day, then by no means is it fair chase.

Now if you are using it as a scouting tool out of season, to me it is no different than using google earth.

That's apples and oranges.
Joe™
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:23 am

For those of you that feel it necessary to use a drone to assist in scouting are kinda going against everything The Hunting Beast stands for.

Reading threw the threads I don't see anything about drone leading to success.

Boots on the ground, glassing, and shining. About the only thing that comes close to that technology would be the use of trail camera and Google Earth. Looking at maps is not even comparable to drone use.

If you feel the need to use a drone I feel your in the wrong place and are giving up on what hunting use to be. I understand hunting is far from what it use to be when you talk to members on here, parents, and grandparents but using drones? Give me a break. I agree with woodswalker, and being a resident of the same state like he said that drones going to hit the dirt if it's flying by me.
Joe™
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:51 am

Outdoor814 wrote:For those of you that feel it necessary to use a drone to assist in scouting are kinda going against everything The Hunting Beast stands for.

Reading threw the threads I don't see anything about drone leading to success.

Boots on the ground, glassing, and shining. About the only thing that comes close to that technology would be the use of trail camera and Google Earth. Looking at maps is not even comparable to drone use.

If you feel the need to use a drone I feel your in the wrong place and are giving up on what hunting use to be. I understand hunting is far from what it use to be when you talk to members on here, parents, and grandparents but using drones? Give me a break. I agree with woodswalker, and being a resident of the same state like he said that drones going to hit the dirt if it's flying by me.

I agree 100%
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Actually the few that use drones for "scouting". To get up to date terrain pictures aren't cheating. It's no different than renting an airplane to do the same thing. The Wensels used airplanes and recommended doing it. To get a better idea of the lay of the land. This was before aerial photos were in color and well before GoogleEarth.

An aerial pic is an aerial pic in my book. Whether it's taken froman airplane, satellite ....or drone!

That said I personally would never use one. Even to get current photos.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:00 pm

It would irritate the crap out of me if one was buzzing around while I was hunting.... although there are some hunts when geese and cranes make you want to go crazy with all the noise.

If someone was using one on public late winter early spring it wouldn't hurt much.

Hunter and wildlife harassment should be illegal and enforced.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:32 pm

I remember on one episode of Finding Bigfoot they used a drone with thermal imaging. Thought that was pretty cool except they didn't find the big guy. :lol:

I could see where something like that could be nice for landowners to monitor trespassers.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”