Plans...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Plans...

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:52 am

What are your plans for this coming season? How you hitting it start to finish? Goals?

Dewey

Re: Plans...

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:10 am

Gonna hit proven spots I didn't get a chance to hunt last season since I spent much of it in Iowa. Very high water in local marshes may alter some plans but I will adapt as I go. If I put a buck down early I will likely hop to a different state with over the counter tags as I have a lot of time off work in October/November.

#1 goal....Have Fun. ;)
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:13 am

My goal is to kill a 3.5 year old on my small private or public land using beast tactics. In all my areas this will probably be a top end buck. I'm gonna hit it hard first week of season because I'm on vacation then I'm off again two weeks during the rut.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:20 am

kill a doe ASAP!!!

I lost all my venison due to a freezer malfunction last season so I want to build that back up

i want to locate a buck I passed up last year and found his sheds after season. I'm almost positive he will be a 3.5 YO this year. He had a split brow and a double G3 last year. If he blows up I would like to get a crack at him. He's basically going to be my first try at a target buck.

I would like to try and hunt the rut. I've never hunted the rut before because I've always tagged out early. This year I want to try and make it a point to get into some spots I've found over the years that are going to be great rut stands.
Joe™
wiz

Unread postby wiz » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:22 am

Plan to apply what I am learning to hunt local public land and small parcels of private land that I own. My goal is to harvest a mature buck during during both the bow and gun seasons. Another goal is to find at least ten big buck beds and develop plans to effectively hunt these areas. Improve hunting equipment to have a more silent, mobile setup.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:24 am

1. Re think pressure on my own land and bordering properties. We keep the borders kind of open with the exception of on neighbors who posts and invite his high school bud's for camp. Regardless I think I need to own up to pressure that I create for myself. I need to be mobile on my own property
2. Do better scouting on private that I have permission on and find more. I just need more spots, and there is plenty of private landowners that I have relationship's with. Got a 300 acre piece the other day.....maybe more to come
3. Hunt public in a meaningful way. I have been scouting 3 3k-5k acre pieces for about one year now.....at least every other week. I am really closing in on some gold........I think. This is where I have the best chance at a stud.. .vt=120"......
4. Do a better camera survey with strategy. Went from 3 to 8 cameras.
5. Get my mobile setup better situated. This is the addition of a saddle or mobile lock on with sticks.
6. Finish cyber scouting.
7. Enjoy my best prepared season yet......I went a decade with little success.....in the past 2 years I have tagged 5..... which in VT is somthing. Now the bone on top needs to get bigger.
8. Enjoy it, don't blame the state or neighbors, hold myself accountable.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:25 am

Won't have an exact plan until summer scouting is over and I know what is around for bucks at each spot.

If I don't have any solid leads, I plan on hitting up an area I've scouted several times and haven't had a chance to bowhunt. Got some super setups there. Will give it sits early/rut/late. I'll be concentrating on that spot to figure it out. I know there are good bucks there late...

Otherwise keep working through my bedding areas that I know produce. Won't be doing too much experimenting at new spots since time didn't allow it this spring.

I'm hoping to tag out in MN then do a weekend hunt or two out in SD. Goal is a 3.5+ on public with my bow.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:25 am

I'm on wait and see mode. Sleep has been very elusive over the last month. I'm run down with no energy. I have alot of setups to do yet. Mostly ground level cattail spots that I needed to reach close to full growth. Before making shooting lanes and accesses.

If I don't get these done I'll be mainly in doe mode for the season. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: I get more energy soon.

Chronic Lyme sucks!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:33 am

I have a couple promising spots on public that I understand a litlle better based on winter scouting. I am really trying to figure out how some of the bucks in the public grounds that I hunt react to other more popular hunting seasons in my area. I also have plans to hunt a few new public spots that I didn't get to scout.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:57 am

I'm planning on hunting all totally new bedding areas this season. Totally committed to beast hunting this season. Hopefully all my spring scouting will pay off! I've got 30+ new set-ups, so it's gonna be a "go with my gut" free for all. I'm hoping to get a couple sits in each spot, to get some feedback. It should be entertaining if nothing else.

My goal: To gain experience bed hunting! To gain knowledge of what bedding areas are productive! To advance beyond a rookie "beast" status! To Have FUN!!!

Oh and maybe if all the stars align, shoot a 3.5+ buck.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Precision Whitetails

Unread postby Precision Whitetails » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:02 am

I will be hunting public land here in PA. Goal is a buck 115" or bigger and two mature does.

I have a several public land areas that I hunt and was able to get 26 stand locations prepared to hunt this winter / spring. As we get into September I will take a look at some trail cam photos and do some quick non-intrusive scouting to decide what areas to focus on.

Next year I am hoping to incorporate an out-of-state hunt into my plans.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:03 am

Plan starting the season with standard evening hunts bed to food and some oddball bedding locations. Play with cameras to see when the chickens are coming home to roost. Ease in to the rut and save best stands for prime time making adjustments along the way. Goals: mature close encounters... and 2 doe's for the freezer with mucho fun along the way.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:09 am

hunting FL from early Aug through mid Feb, all public.

Try to get out of state a week in Sept and 3 weeks in Nov. All public.

Don't really have any specific goal. Just like to hunt as much as I can.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:13 am

tgreeno wrote:................. I've got 30+ new set-ups, so it's gonna be a "go with my gut" free for all. I'm hoping to get a couple sits in each spot, to get some feedback........................
:clap:

I think you can buy it all, learn the hot tactics, spend thousands on habitat management, de scent for hours on end .................,but having 30+ spots ready for a good gut feeling. That's $$$$$$$$$
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:14 am

Man season is coming fast, still in work mode on some house projects but those will be tied up soon. Then the goals are to chase some older bucks on public, take the kids duck, grouse, deer hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”