Passing on Beast Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tylerrewa

Passing on Beast Hunting

Unread postby Tylerrewa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:16 pm

I am a new beast hunter and like most people grew up hunting pre set stands. I am also a new father and have a while before he comes of age to climb his first solo set. I am hoping to hear from other fathers on if they put their young hunters in a ground blind, pre-set stand, put up a treestand beast style or had them try and use a climber?

I don't see myself having any private parcels of my own anytime soon, so most likely public land hunting and hunting by permission. I am going to try and gain some permission to hunt some property but most everything around me has blinds on it or I'm assuming is leased up and leases are expensive where I am at. I'll knock on some doors but I'm not counting on anything.

Just wondering what other beast hunters have done or are doing for the next generation of hunters.

Hunt your Hunt
Uncle Lou

Re: Passing on Beast Hunting

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:53 pm

You didnt say how old he was, but said you were a new father. So I would say let him win a couple cage matches before you make him go BEAST ;)

Enjoy your early years with him, BEAST hunting is too serious for a toddler
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:01 pm

I would take my kids on short sits in a ground blind/stand and on short walks to get them in the woods starting at age 4. Each year they go a little further and sit a little longer. You have to make it about them and not about you, it should be fun and exciting and with any luck you get to see some nature along the way. Eventually they start to see some action and soon they are fighting to go hunting with you.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:08 pm

I have had the best luck using ground blinds with young kids. It allows em to move around a bit and not scare of game. I find it important when it comes to kids to put them on some action or they seem to lose interest. I have good luck putting em on bait piles with close personnel action. Chances are u aren't going to see the Giants, but in this case I choose quantity which provides them a close quality hunt. Don't be afraid to run a add in a small town paper for property to hunt. After the season is typically best cause the farmers already picked crops and spend a lot of time in coffee shops reading the paper. Also look up properties that are just offering grazing rights, some people aren't aware they even have deer on there land. Good luck
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:29 pm

I don't have any kids yet but I've got some people into fishing. The trick is to let them see some success early on. I imagine this would translate well to hunting too. They need to actually see deer.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:58 pm

Ground blind is a good bet with young kids, and then graduate them to ladder stands as they get older with you in the hang on next to them.

Make sure they are comfortable, warm, and bring snacks and something for them to fidget with while in the blind. As MN mentioned, make sure the see deer when they go......it isn't all about big bucks when your kids are with you.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:35 pm

I always took my kids hunting the way I hunted. I started them each at about 12 which is what was legal back then. They carried a stand on there back and I set the stands up and we went mobile. If I wanted them to have action on the pressured public it needed to be that way. The hardest thing about kids and hunting is the new generation is growing up in an instant gratification society. They want instant success. And really, that's not what hunting is supposed to be about... If you ask me there are to many special seasons for kids, and to many fathers that will do anything or take there kids anywhere to make sure they get that instant success. A few years of struggling and working towards a goal builds character, and makes the man.
I say hunt them like you hunt. Let them be part of the group just like the men in the group.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:12 pm

I started my kids with invitations to scout and track deer. When the interest developed, we sat together in ground blinds. While neither girl decided to hunt on their own, they both enjoy scouting and understand/respect the rights of people that pursue game.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:34 am

I like dans post. I have 2 girls, I've taken them both, sat in a ground blind 2x, my oldest has sat in a tree stand with me as well, my youngest will be out at least once this year. Most of my spots I would have a had time getting them into, don't have hip boots for them. :mrgreen: i do try to get them out when weather is decent and bugs aren't To bad.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:39 am

My son sat 2 years with me to observe. We started at age 8. Last year, age 10, first year with a tag he started beast hunting. Sat thermal tunnel in hill country and shot his first buck. He has only hunted using beast tactics/knowledge over the last few years. I carry both stands, he follows along. This keeps us stealthy in our approach.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:41 am

dan wrote:I always took my kids hunting the way I hunted. I started them each at about 12 which is what was legal back then. They carried a stand on there back and I set the stands up and we went mobile. If I wanted them to have action on the pressured public it needed to be that way. The hardest thing about kids and hunting is the new generation is growing up in an instant gratification society. They want instant success. And really, that's not what hunting is supposed to be about... If you ask me there are to many special seasons for kids, and to many fathers that will do anything or take there kids anywhere to make sure they get that instant success. A few years of struggling and working towards a goal builds character, and makes the man.
I say hunt them like you hunt. Let them be part of the group just like the men in the group.

Same thing I say, 'cept Dan says it nicer.

Took me 7 years to get my first, another couple years for the 2nd, etc.

That all being said, it is more fun to see deer and if you can set them in a good stand they'll see deer. Plus they'll learn how to really hunt as opposed to just sitting in trees hoping.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:39 am

Small game hunting can be a good way to teach a beginner woodsmanship and it is usually a faster paced more target rich environment.
It can be a good way to work on the basics.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:18 am

Jdw wrote:Small game hunting can be a good way to teach a beginner woodsmanship and it is usually a faster paced more target rich environment.
It can be a good way to work on the basics.

I agree w this.

The main thing is dont pressure them into anything bc it will have you banging your head against the wall. Just bring home the meat, everyone gets excited and gathers for pics or a story. Then eventually they will want to go, but then id just take them on a tracking job first. They gotta handle at least seeing the aftermath to know. If they do and love draggin gone out then I think you'll have your answer. Thats my .02
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:52 am

I have two daughters, one 21 and one 17, I also have a son that's 12. I've been with them all when they took their first deer. It's an awesome experience!! When I look back or when we talk about past hunts, it's the small things that mean the most. My kids will say, dad remember that time we fell and you slid down the hill or do you remember those cheeseburgers we used to get from the store. My goal was to always to make it fun for them and try to soak it all in..... With that said, if you want to kill crap, we've found a LW assault with four sticks with aiders on my back and a millinium m100 on my sons is the way to go. Stay mobile and hunt until the fun runs out. Your kid will tell you when it's time to go, trust me!
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:41 am

Wetfoot wrote:I started my kids with invitations to scout and track deer. When the interest developed, we sat together in ground blinds. While neither girl decided to hunt on their own, they both enjoy scouting and understand/respect the rights of people that pursue game.

Im a recent first time dad, my daughter is 13 months old. I plan to introduce woodsmanship and basic skills to her the same way you have. I want to get her out on scouting missions for a few years and see how she takes to it. If she decides not to hunt that is totally fine, but at least she will understand the process and learn valuable lessons like navigation in the woods, safety, reading terrain, plant/tree species, etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”