Preferred Big Buck browse

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Preferred Big Buck browse

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:26 am

We all know that deer like acorns, and crops, and apples, but what about the rest of their diet? I'm a young hunter, and not really that experienced of a woodsman. I can read deer sigh (to a point) and can tell hey dummy a deer clipped this off or those are acorns on the ground. So help me out.

I'd like you to post pictures of things you notice deer browsing on through the year, please exlplain where I might find it. What area you are hunting. When the deer will be eating it. The name of the plant. How to identify it. And pictures of the plant, the part the deer eat and a photo after it's been browsed on.

I'd love for this thread to continue through the season.

And since there are REALLY green hunters here, let's include common farm crops and oaks (like how to tell white from red) that will make this a complete reference and a good opportunity for everyone to brush up on their woodsmanship. Thanks guys! Do your thing!

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Preferred Big Buck browse

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:36 am

One thing I find they eat a lot and don't hear anyone talk about is green leafs. When high winds blow off green leafs they tend to pile up in places based on topography. There's pref leafs just like anything else, that's why it's always important to be vigilant and pay attention to what is going on, not just looking at the woods. Food sources seem to be very predictable year to year where I hunt. Once u figure it out it never really changes. (I don't have to deal with crop rotation).
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:46 am

I subscribed to this one, anyway they like berries and I've seen them eating sassafrass leaves a few times. There was a thread last fall about them liking the minerals in maple leaves
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:33 am

Preferred browse is what is in season and it is not specific to big bucks, it pertains to all deer. They will eat farm crops, they will eat wild plants, and they will eat bark and buds from trees and shrubs depending what time of the year it is. Remember, there were deer in this country before farm crop were even planted.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:42 am

Berries , Dogwood , Red Dogwood up North.

In South. Pine nuts.

White, Red oak acorns.

Dogwood not very common where i hunt.

Maple Leaves those trees that hold brown leaves blocking sight found everywhere lol. One area i hunt has hundreds of them. If you hunt the south you can't miss maple trees.

Blackberrys which are rare in woods found in clearcuts.

Persimmons they love when ripe. Very rough bark hardwood has green ball looking things all in tree when ripe they change color.

Hunting food sources in south is crazy foods everywhere.

Many types of green fresh grasses grown on roadsides of hunting areas.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:01 am

woodswalker wrote:Preferred browse is what is in season and it is not specific to big bucks, it pertains to all deer. They will eat farm crops, they will eat wild plants, and they will eat bark and buds from trees and shrubs depending what time of the year it is. Remember, there were deer in this country before farm crop were even planted.

I understand that it pertains to all deer. We just spend a lot of time focusing on big bucks, besides BIG BUCK in the title draws attention. I was looking for an in depth description of things that they like, what things are in season when, it doesn't help me at all for you talk down to me. Explain WHAT bark bark and shrubs and wild plants they eat, WHEN do they eat those certain things, WHERE do those plants grow?

Its easy for you to SAY you know things. Prove it by explaining to me.

Apparently you know something about browse, TEACH what you know. I know there were deer here before crops. My willingness to learn does not make me an idiot. Quite the opposite actually.

If I interpreted your post the wrong way, I apologize. I have known this form to be a place to learn and discuss. And posts that can be taken the wrong way could possibly stop someone from asking a question that could lead to information that helps you kill your next buck.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:10 am

This is a study that Texas Parks and Wildlife did in my area of Texas. I know many browse species and preferences are regional, but a lot of these species can be found throughout North America.
It may help.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwd ... 0_1017.pdf
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:11 am

Listen Skippy, you asked a question and I provided an answer, deer food is not specific to sex or the size of the deer. The list of wild plants that deer eat is very long and varied, both wild and farmed food depending on the seasons. I was not aware that I had to specifically name all the plants trees and shrubs deer eat. We have a thing called the internet, just google it instead of demanding that someone else provide you with the information. My first response was not meant to be terse. This one is.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:22 am

woodswalker wrote:Listen Skippy, you asked a question and I provided an answer, deer food is not specific to sex or the size of the deer. The list of wild plants that deer eat is very long and varied, both wild and farmed food depending on the seasons. I was not aware that I had to specifically name all the plants trees and shrubs deer eat. We have a thing called the internet, just google it instead of demanding that someone else provide you with the information. My first response was not meant to be terse. This one is.

Okay. Then why do we have a sight like this? This is a collection of people that LOVE to talk about deer hunting. I know you can google it. And find studies and botanical data. I'm looking for real world experience, "Hey I've noticed in my area deer really like "this plant" in the early season, it usually grows in marshy areas, and then a breif description or picture. It's not hard to offer help. If you're gonna talk a big game, play a big game. Im not demanding anything from anyone. I said if YOU know so much, enlighten me. If you don't want to contribute, don't. It's that simple. When this thread gets filled up with good helpful responses.. I hope you read it and find something you didnt know about browse. And I hope it helps you hunting, even if you are a class A JackWagon
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:24 am

woodswalker wrote:Listen Skippy, you asked a question and I provided an answer, deer food is not specific to sex or the size of the deer. The list of wild plants that deer eat is very long and varied, both wild and farmed food depending on the seasons. I was not aware that I had to specifically name all the plants trees and shrubs deer eat. We have a thing called the internet, just google it instead of demanding that someone else provide you with the information. My first response was not meant to be terse. This one is.

:lol: :lol:
-John Wayne-
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:41 am

Honeysuckle
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:46 am

Like mentioned it's variable. Depends on time of year, age of plant, etc.

Maybe this will be a start:

https://www.fs.fed.us/nrs/pubs/gtr/gtr_nc065.pdf

Like mentioned it might be easier to google it. Different areas in the same state have different names for the same plant quite often. Dan talks about Red Osier Dogwood for both food and bedding. I only knew it as redbrush until joining the Beast.

Most any young woody plants will get browsed on. Either the buds or the leaves. Sometimes the bark.

Many times grassy fields hide forbes underneath. Deer love forbes.

You may have better luck talking to your local deer biologist.

Good luck and If you learn a few. Don't be mad and not share it on here. I find it interesting myself. And should spend more time learning them myself.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:50 am

stash59 wrote:Like mentioned it's variable. Depends on time of year, age of plant, etc.

Like mentioned it might be easier to google it. Different areas in the same state have different names for the same plant quite often. Dan talks about Red Osier Dogwood for both food and bedding. I only knew it as redbrush until joining the Beast.

Most any young woody plants will get browsed on. Either the buds or the leaves. Sometimes the bark.

Good luck and If you learn a few. Don't be mad and not share it on here. I find it interesting myself. And should spend more time learning them myself.

I never thought of talking to the local biologist, I will certainly give him a call. I would share should I learn some, I support adding to anyone's deer knowledge and would be willing to help anyone any way I could. Thanks!
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:52 am

I'm curious to hear some foods from the Northeast that deer like if possible. I just know the usual stuff like crops, acorns and apples.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:02 pm

isitseasonyet? wrote:
stash59 wrote:Like mentioned it's variable. Depends on time of year, age of plant, etc.

I never thought of talking to the local biologist, I will certainly give him a call. I would share should I learn some, I support adding to anyone's deer knowledge and would be willing to help anyone any way I could. Thanks!

Think a lot of guys on here are always willing to help, that said I think on the receiving end they want the guy to make atleast a effort. Some people spend the majority of there life in the woods putting the puzzle pieces together, they don't owe it to anyone to reveal what they have learned the hard way . Entire books have been written on the subject you asked. I suggest asking differently, maybe hey I'm having problems identifying a primary food source can u tell me what to look for? Or because of job family or whatever I only got a small window to hunt this year any idea what the deer will be feeding on this time of year in this area? Putting the pieces of the puzzle together are part of the fun don't be afraid of the challenge it makes the reward so much more gratifying. Good luck
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”