Mechanical vs Fixed Broadhead Study & Results

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Mechanical vs Fixed Broadhead Study & Results

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:41 am

JoeRE wrote:I have concluded that broadheads do not wound deer. Hunters wound deer. :lol: :lol:

X2 :lol:

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:47 am

I want an exit hole whenever possible. The bad blood trails that stick in my memory only had an entry hole.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:44 pm

JoeRE wrote:I have concluded that broadheads do not wound deer. Hunters wound deer. :lol: :lol:

No way. Not possible.

It has to be the bows fault, or the broadheads fault, or the arrows fault, or the deer's fault for moving. :lol:

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:56 pm

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:It really hard to determan bloodtrails from year to year, and deer to deer. Each situation is different. Were the deer the same size? Were they hit in the same spot? Were they at the same angle? Was it a similar time of the year? You really would need a ton of historical data based on many deer using each broadhead type.

I've used a fixed blade for 40 years, and it's efficiently killed many deer for me. They can run all the scientific studies they want, I'm not changing what works for me.

Same here. Been shooting Muzzy since they started making them and my kill rate is 100%. I experimented with mechanicals for a few seasons and it was a disaster with wounding multiple deer. Maybe I just had some bad luck but it just reminded me to never change what works.

In the end it's all about shot placement. Native Americans killed deer with stone heads quite efficiently. :think:

That is my issue at the moment, everything iv killed has been a muzzy. I just love their practice heads and price. Decided I wanted a change up which guys say not to do... I have no dedication to any brand but iv considered other fixed heads, 1 mechanical and 1 hybrid. I believe in them all to work w proper shot placement.
If i get anything fixed (other than muzzy) ill need a new broad head target. Some say testing isnt required w a mechanical, flies perfect so thats always intriguing. My thought process was always to have the toughest possible, find and re sharpen. The issue is I dont find my arrows as much as id like. Iv lost quivers of arrows slinging them at turkeys my whole life. Killed x2... Didnt find any of those arrow. Sometimes they dont survive the trip while the deer is expiring and get damaged. Then after having 2nd thoughts about which head to use all together, unless its a pass through im probably not re using it again.
Most 3 packs of heads are the same price as one another. At some point I consider how much I want to spend per arrow. Considering lighted nocks as well but that goes in the same boat as cost. Yeah I can find more arrows but then I hear about the nocks being a pain to turn off, or it didnt work right but mainly thats another $60 per 12 pack of arrows.
I went through 5 of my 6 arrows last season didnt find any of them. Its just some thoughts...I like paying for necessary things that improve confidence.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:18 pm

Nelson87 wrote:Is there anyone who switched from mechanicals to fixed blade or from fixed blade to mechanicals? What I'm wondering is, what differences have you noticed with blood trails from one to the other based on multiple blood trails with each?

Reason I'm asking, I'm trying to decide what broadhead I want to shoot. This year I decided I want a heavier arrow, so I went from a 380 grain arrow with 11.5% foc to a roughly 425 grain arrow with around 14.8%foc.

I shot a few deer with fixed blades, then started using mechanicals for two reasons- Accuracy and better blood trails. BUT, I now know a lot more about tuning a bow to shoot fixed blade broadheads than I did back then, and I'm sure my fixed blades wern't as sharp as they could/should have been.

Not trying to start a fixed vs mechanical debate. I'm just trying to make a decision and am interested in hearing what differences in blood trailing others have seen from one to the other.

Yep. I have swapped from fixed to mixed (mechanical / fixed) to fixed to mechanical. Gone from 2" cut to 1.5" cut to get better penetration and more pass throughs. And for the last 8-10yrs or so I have been 100% mechanical. I will shoot fixed heads to make sure my tune is good.

As far as blood trails, as has been mentioned, I can shoot same setup, same year and get 2 completely different blood trail results. I have had massive blood trails with small fixed heads.

My best performance with broadheads came when I got through buck / deer fever.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:19 pm

The study said these guys are shooting 15 to 20 yards. Nice and close. Most folks should be able to drill both lungs at this range. Any broadhead should work.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:07 pm

My suggestion which I have done, pick up some road kill a hog works best but I'm aware some parts of country simply don't have any so a deer will do. Back up to 20 yards put it right on the shoulder and see what u think. Yes anything will work on a perfect shot so If u feel u r Robbin hood disregard. It's making the most out of a bad shot that counts. Don't compare soft targets to bone, also a high quality steel fixed head will last the rest of your life.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Kybowhunter

Unread postby Kybowhunter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:32 pm

I think the people that have mechanical head failures are due to insufficient kinetic energy, arrow selection and also a bad bow tune. When you are looking at an arrow to hunt with and your are going to use a mechanical head, most definently go with an overspined arrow. So if a tuning chart says you should be shooting a 400 spine, go with a 340 or even a 300 spine. What this does when the arrow hits the target or animal, you dont lose as much energy when the arrow bends at impact. The stiff arrow does not bend near as much and all of the energy is still behind the broadhead allowing max penetration.

Now people will argue arrows have to be spined perfectly to get a bow to tune which is absolutely not the case. You can tune a super stiff arrow pretty easy. I set my hunting bow up and tune with bareshafts. When you get your bareshafts coming out pretty clean and close to your fletched arrow you're very close. A broadhead tends to plane the same way as a bareshaft. So the tighter I get my bareshaft to my flethed arrow at 20 yards the closer my broadhead will be with my fieldtip.

So moral of the story is, a broadhead that planes any direction and does not fly perfectly straight loses a crazy amount of energy on impact because all of the force and energy is not directly behind the arrow. People think they can screw on a mechanical head and it be a cure all for their tuning woes. Good tuning is paramount when it comes to any broadhead, not just fixed heads. With the proper setup a good mechanical is hard to beat and does offer a few more advantages...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:30 am

Choose a broadhead for the bad shot not the perfect shot. They will all kill the same thru both lungs. If you hit a bone you want a tough broadhead. They make some really good one piece steel broad heads for that. Check out VPA broadheads. I've shot deer with 2,3, and 4 blade broadheads and have had good blood trails with them. It depends on where the exit hole is.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:34 am

Hawthorne wrote:Choose a broadhead for the bad shot not the perfect shot. They will all kill the same thru both lungs. If you hit a bone you want a tough broadhead. They make some really good one piece steel broad heads for that. Check out VPA broadheads. I've shot deer with 2,3, and 4 blade broadheads and have had good blood trails with them. It depends on where the exit hole is.

Is this a G5 Montec that was destroyed?
http://novascotiahunting.com/forums/ind ... roadheads/
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:19 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:Is there anyone who switched from mechanicals to fixed blade or from fixed blade to mechanicals? What I'm wondering is, what differences have you noticed with blood trails from one to the other based on multiple blood trails with each?

Reason I'm asking, I'm trying to decide what broadhead I want to shoot. This year I decided I want a heavier arrow, so I went from a 380 grain arrow with 11.5% foc to a roughly 425 grain arrow with around 14.8%foc.

I shot a few deer with fixed blades, then started using mechanicals for two reasons- Accuracy and better blood trails. BUT, I now know a lot more about tuning a bow to shoot fixed blade broadheads than I did back then, and I'm sure my fixed blades wern't as sharp as they could/should have been.

Not trying to start a fixed vs mechanical debate. I'm just trying to make a decision and am interested in hearing what differences in blood trailing others have seen from one to the other.

Yep. I have swapped from fixed to mixed (mechanical / fixed) to fixed to mechanical. Gone from 2" cut to 1.5" cut to get better penetration and more pass throughs. And for the last 8-10yrs or so I have been 100% mechanical. I will shoot fixed heads to make sure my tune is good.

As far as blood trails, as has been mentioned, I can shoot same setup, same year and get 2 completely different blood trail results. I have had massive blood trails with small fixed heads.

My best performance with broadheads came when I got through buck / deer fever.

Great point about buck fever Maine. I hear what you're saying about mechanical bc your bear kill this year was a great example of feeling confident. Even w no good blood you were confidentified in the shot and your setup. It makes me think about how many deer have died and the tracker gave up bc there was no sign leading the way. I'm guilty
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 am

Hawthorne wrote:Choose a broadhead for the bad shot not the perfect shot. They will all kill the same thru both lungs. If you hit a bone you want a tough broadhead. They make some really good one piece steel broad heads for that. Check out VPA broadheads. I've shot deer with 2,3, and 4 blade broadheads and have had good blood trails with them. It depends on where the exit hole is.

Good point. That's exactly why I'm thinking hard about the 2" heads I've been using. As was mentioned, it's about shot placement and the exit hole, but deer move, twigs deflect arrows, and in the moment of truth when your heart's about to pound out of your chest, not every shot is going to hit the 11 ring.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. I know there's not an answer like A type of broadhead puts B% more blood on the ground than C type of head. I was just interested in hearing what some others have experienced.

I guess I had a flat spot when I had my arrows cut. I just had the standard inserts installed, thinking I would just buy 125 grain broadheads. Now I'm thinking I should have got heavier inserts and just used some of the 100 grain heads I already have. :doh:
Jussbowz

Unread postby Jussbowz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:08 am

Nelson87 wrote:

Good point. That's exactly why I'm thinking hard about the 2" heads I've been using. As was mentioned, it's about shot placement and the exit hole, but deer move, twigs deflect arrows, and in the moment of truth when your heart's about to pound out of your chest, not every shot is going to hit the 11 ring.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. I know there's not an answer like A type of broadhead puts B% more blood on the ground than C type of head. I was just interested in hearing what some others have experienced.

I guess I had a flat spot when I had my arrows cut. I just had the standard inserts installed, thinking I would just buy 125 grain broadheads. Now I'm thinking I should have got heavier inserts and just used some of the 100 grain heads I already have. :doh:

If you are shooting gold tip arrows you can screw a weight onto the back of your insert and use the same 100gr broadhead. You can use them with other types of arrows also but I am not familiar with those.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:08 am

Jussbowz wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:

If you are shooting gold tip arrows you can screw a weight onto the back of your insert and use the same 100gr broadhead. You can use them with other types of arrows also but I am not familiar with those.

Good tip. I switched from gold tips to victory. The inside diameter is .245 I believe.
Jussbowz

Unread postby Jussbowz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:27 am

Just looked on Lancaster archery, they have several different point weights for different diameter arrows. You just need to be sure they can screw into the back of your inserts.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”