Mechanical vs Fixed Broadhead Study & Results

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Mechanical vs Fixed Broadhead Study & Results

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:03 pm

I thought this article was very interesting. There is some decent numbers to absorb about recovery rates versus the two. After last season my fixed blade success rate took a hit. Im curious what others have experienced?

https://www.qdma.com/high-deer-recovery ... roadheads/

Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Re: Mechanical vs Fixed Broadhead Study & Results

Unread postby Jhand » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Im sure it doesn't take into account the fact the some people don't even see where there fixed blades are hitting before going hunting they just assume it's going to shoot like a field tip. Fixed blades need a lot more tuning and some people don't get that. I prefer fixed blades over mechanicals, never lost a deer with either tho. When I first got into hunting I used mechanicals, tried rages then switched to grim reapers. Now I use QAD Exodus fixed blades and love them. Shoot good out to 60.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:56 pm

Interesting study thanks for sharing.

It is very good to see such high recovery rates documented. Anyone struggling with recovering animals should take some comfort in that as you gain experience, this is the type of thing you can achieve.

Experience is the key, every single bow hunter I know including myself had a pretty lousy record the first several seasons. Wish there was something that could be done about that but not sure what.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:14 pm

JoeRE wrote:Interesting study thanks for sharing.

It is very good to see such high recovery rates documented. Anyone struggling with recovering animals should take some comfort in that as you gain experience, this is the type of thing you can achieve.

Experience is the key, every single bow hunter I know including myself had a pretty lousy record the first several seasons. Wish there was something that could be done about that but not sure what.

Better education. It seems that weapons safety, shot placement and bloodtrailing are what is emphasized in first time hunter classes. These are good things and need covering. But often the newbie is on their own when it comes to bow/arrow/broadhead combinations/tuning that will actually work for them. Getting the proper help here would help decrease those new comer wounding scenarios.

Unfortunately the other new hunter problem takes time and experience to over come. That's learning to deal with the pressure and excitement of finally getting a shot at an actual moving, living, breathing animal. Maybe actually having a mentor right at your side to talk one through it all would be the best thing to do!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Agreed, think Dr Ashby did a big study on this.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Agreed, think Dr Ashby did a big study on this.

Thanks for the tip! Excellent info in this article. His arrow shaft comparisons & FOC stats are surprising.

http://www.bowhunter.com/feature_articl ... shby_0909/
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:40 pm

This is excellent

"Type of Edge Bevel. When broadheads identical in every way except edge bevel are mounted on identical shafts and shot with the same bow(s) into identical tissue, single-bevel heads demonstrate sizable penetration increases in all cases involving bone impact.

The gain varies by broadhead profile but ranges from 14 to 58 percent. The thinner edge of a single-bevel slices deeper at any given level of tissue tension. Additionally, a lower and longer bevel means higher MA for the cutting edge, slicing better at the same force.

The biggest advantage is the rotation single bevels induce during penetration, helping to split bone rather than merely “pushing through.” An arrow that twists its way through soft tissues produces a much longer cut channel. Finally, if the arrow is still rotating when it exits, the taut skin can catch up and twist tight as the blade slices through, creating a large, distinctive, L-shape wound."
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Was lucky enough to have a conversation with Dr Ashby afew years ago on this and based on his findindings on animals the size of a average whiletail deer u can use eithier a 2 or 3 blade cut on contact head with lil difference. Mechanical he referred to I believe as garbage. Need heavy foc and skinny tapered arrow to produce best results
-John Wayne-
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:54 pm

I have my own results with over 40 years of whitetail hunting. I know what has worked for me.

Studies on the internet are a dime a dozen in my book. Take them all with a grain of salt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:26 pm

It's a penetration test with live footage on real animals not targets. It's true a well placed arrow even with a field point will kill. This shows what happens when broadheads contact bone. If u are getting pass thrus and finding your animals then stick with what works! If not this could help and give u a better understating based of facts.
-John Wayne-
ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Unread postby ontario farmer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:13 am

Real science always trumps opinions and feelings or experience. A good study
However there is not a huge difference and I am sure shot placement is much more important.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:33 am

stash59 wrote:

Better education. It seems that weapons safety, shot placement and bloodtrailing are what is emphasized in first time hunter classes. These are good things and need covering. But often the newbie is on their own when it comes to bow/arrow/broadhead combinations/tuning that will actually work for them. Getting the proper help here would help decrease those new comer wounding scenarios.

Unfortunately the other new hunter problem takes time and experience to over come. That's learning to deal with the pressure and excitement of finally getting a shot at an actual moving, living, breathing animal. Maybe actually having a mentor right at your side to talk one through it all would be the best thing to do!!!

When I took my hunter safety class 10 years ago, 98% was based on gun safety. We had a 5 minute demo on shot placement for archery. The class just seemed geared towards gun hunting. I've wounded more deer than I care to admit but like everything, I try to learn something from it so I don't do it again. I'm trying to get more into bow tuning and that stuff, but it sucks when half the research is bs trying to sell you on products you "have to have".
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:45 am

Jonny wrote:
stash59 wrote:

When I took my hunter safety class 10 years ago, 98% was based on gun safety. We had a 5 minute demo on shot placement for archery. The class just seemed geared towards gun hunting. I've wounded more deer than I care to admit but like everything, I try to learn something from it so I don't do it again. I'm trying to get more into bow tuning and that stuff, but it sucks when half the research is bs trying to sell you on products you "have to have".

My hunter ed class didn't even talk about archery except for maybe a few sentences about the season and different requirements. Everything in the class was all about gun hunting, half of it was just basic gun safety. My state does offer basic archery class but I don't know of anyone that has taken it and your still required to take your hunter ed class first.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:23 am

tgreeno wrote:I have my own results with over 40 years of whitetail hunting. I know what has worked for me.

Studies on the internet are a dime a dozen in my book. Take them all with a grain of salt.

Here's a link to the Ashby reports. This is a very long term study. With lots of science to back it up. This is 1 "dime" well spent in reading these.

http://www.grizzlystik.com/Dr.-Ed-Ashby-W26.aspx

Is it overkill for a whitetail. In general yes, but for that one time you hit in the shoulder/leg bone joint area. It can make the difference between a fairly easy recovery of a dead animal. Or spending days looking, wondering in anguish if you. Killed an animal that you can't find.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:31 am

ontario farmer wrote:Real science always trumps opinions and feelings or experience. A good study
However there is not a huge difference and I am sure shot placement is much more important.

Agree shot placement trumps everything. But If I hit a heavy bone because I miss placed my shot or the animal moved. I'd want the assurance that I can still have enough penetration to make a quick kill.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”