Hearing enhancement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hatchetman

Hearing enhancement

Unread postby Hatchetman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:56 am

Recalling some of you successful ground hunters observations on how deer will a lot of times get right in on you before you notice them because of how much more limited your sight is on the ground opposed to tree stand hunting. I was wondering if any of you guys used any hearing enhancement (Like a Walkers game ear) or something similar to increase your odds on picking them up a little sooner

Seeing I am in the process of gearing up for more ground sits year, I was wondering if anyone felt these things were worth it?

I get my hearing tested yearly through work, it isn't terrible but not great either.
I do catch myself saying a lot of "Huh'" or "What'" though to people lately, so it is going south. :oops:

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Hearing enhancement

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:02 am

I have never used them so I do not know what kind of advantage they would have. But when I hit the age when my hearing starts heading south I would jump on em. Not just 4 a upper hand in hunting but I love the sounds of the forest.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:39 am

I have a walkers game ear but honestly i barely notice a difference. They arent really worth it in my opinion the cheap hearing enhancers cant be much worse.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:48 am

Too many years of loud metal music have finally taken it's toll on my ears. :doh: I could really benefit from this as my hearing is really starting to get pretty bad especially with real low frequencies that we depend on so much in the outdoors. I miss the sound of a deer coming my direction from a long distance and unfortunately I rarely hear that anymore unless they are very close and on dry leaves. Sucks getting older but in my case it was self inflicted. Thankfully there are products out there like this to assist us if needed.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:26 am

Dewey wrote:Too many years of loud metal music have finally taken it's toll on my ears. :doh: I could really benefit from this as my hearing is really starting to get pretty bad especially with real low frequencies that we depend on so much in the outdoors. I miss the sound of a deer coming my direction from a long distance and unfortunately I rarely hear that anymore unless they are very close and on dry leaves. Sucks getting older but in my case it was self inflicted. Thankfully there are products out there like this to assist us if needed.

I'm in the same boat for different reasons. I never hear them anymore; they just appear. Poof and they are there.

It has made me much more vigilant as I only have my eyes (and nose) to detect them.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:40 pm

One thing you will find with the Walkers Game ear and similar products is they work fine when there is no wind. When there is wind they are noisy from the wind blowing by your ears and your hearing is worse. I have a set of e.a.r. electronic ear plugs and two sets of electronic head sets and I no longer use them because of the noise from wind.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:45 pm

I wear hearing aids just to understand folks. If you notice a diff in your hearing, you might be able to get your insurance to buy you a set of real hearing aids.

And yes - wind is tough, driving in a car is tough, anything where there is extra noise is tough.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”