too late to scout?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckinator

too late to scout?

Unread postby Buckinator » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:13 am

When is it too late to traditional scout? trimming out stand locations? running cameras near field edges?
I had a tough spring and didn't get out much (new baby).

How would you scout in summer, JUNE, JULY and AUGUST, to minimize impact to my spots? I hunt public land, not many people using it now, but come September the woods is heavily pressured. It seems like deer are hanging on field edges right now and maybe not in the deep marsh were I tend to hunt/scout. Could I go in and scout setup these hunting areas without affecting the deer since they are on field edges now? Or is this a good time to practice patience and holding off till game time.

Thoughts?

Wlog
500 Club

Re: too late to scout?

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:29 am

This topic comes up a lot. There is no real time table. It's all relative to when your season opens or when you plan to hunt the areas you're going into. I won't go in and be too intrusive this time of year on anything I plan on hunting in September.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:36 am

It's never too late to scout. Going to be a lot harder to go in and find beds with everything being so grown up. This time a year glassing and observation's stands are your best bet. Also shining at night if its legal. Wish it was legal by me but its not. If it's a new area you don't know much about I say go in scout what you can to give you an idea of the lay out and look for sign even if it's just past year's rubs. Also tracks can tell you alot. If you have any cameras put up a camera or two. Then you can setup an observation stand somewhere that you can see but you know you won't run into the deer your after. This part of the year I'm trying to find what properties are holding deer I want to go after.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:46 am

I was scouting yesterday. Get it in when you can. If it's spots I've already hunted before I might hold off but if it's new Intel that's needed, scouting season never ends.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:19 am

Scout when you can't hunt and hunt when you're scouting.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:35 am

I have been going out some mornings in areas I picked out cyber scouting. Places that I think would be good to hang a camera or even trim a tree near bedding. Is it a no no to go out early morning (before work) this time of year. Walking back to my car at 7:00am through the field I walked in on, a huge buck was eating in the field. kicked up another three near field edge. That's when I thought, crud, should I really be out here, am I ruining the area? granted you will not see that buck anywhere close to that field come late august or September during daylight hours because its overrun with deer hunters, bird hunters, trappers the whole gamut.
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:49 am

I remember Dan saying, "never ends!" as well as "in season scouting is the best time!"
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:06 am

Its always a good time to scout. This time of year, I dont walk anywhere near where I hunt. I dont think you are doing much damage spooking bucks in places where lots of people hunt. I do think you are doing damage though if you are spooking bucks in places where you intend to hunt them.

Every time you spook a buck, i think you are just helping that buck have a clearer image of where he is not safe.

So in my opinion, who cares if you spook him out in an open field where people walk all the time anyways. On the other hand if you spook him or let him smell your scent trail creeping around near where he once thought he was safe, well that is likely hurting your hunting. I know I have heard dan say that he thinks even scouting bedding areas over winter likely hurts the spot to some extent, just not as bad as scouting it during the time of year he is using the bedding.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:04 am

I'd say go scout. Granted, I have much less experience than most of the guys on here, but I remember Dan saying in a video if you need intel, go in and get it.
swwave24

Unread postby swwave24 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:42 am

Scout every chance you got. Even if it just means slowly driving by the property in the morning/evening. Get a good pair of binoculars/spotlight if you have too. Get of google earth and look at possibilities for bedding. Relate that back to your observations of bucks.

In terms of spooking, I wouldn't be worried if you spook them occasionally, because like Dan says other predators go through bedding areas every once and a while.

However if you don't get boots on the ground, I would consider stage hunting the property or set up observation stand locations. Adjust to the movement. Scouting when hunting is very important as well.

I had to use this stragegy last year, because I moved in the summer of last year. It paid off. Hope your successful!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:43 am

I was considering putting out a couple cams this weekend in bedding areas, and letting them soak 4 or 5 months.

Sept 16th and Oct 1st are still way off in the future. I'd say scout
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:48 am

Buckinator wrote:When is it too late to traditional scout? trimming out stand locations? running cameras near field edges?
I had a tough spring and didn't get out much (new baby).

How would you scout in summer, JUNE, JULY and AUGUST, to minimize impact to my spots? I hunt public land, not many people using it now, but come September the woods is heavily pressured. It seems like deer are hanging on field edges right now and maybe not in the deep marsh were I tend to hunt/scout. Could I go in and scout setup these hunting areas without affecting the deer since they are on field edges now? Or is this a good time to practice patience and holding off till game time.

Thoughts?

I'm in a similar situation. Busy at work and a 1 year old at home. I went out this past weekend and trimmed a few trees and hung some cameras. I plan on scouting softly the next two weekends. I may not walk right into the beds and poke around, but I am planning on breezing through a few areas with as little impact as possible to confirm some cyber scouting. I'm not sure if it's the right move, but I'm just trying to cram as much in as I can until bear baiting starts.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:35 pm

I agree with many that it's never too late. If you're worried about burning out a good spot come opener then I would save it for an observation or stage hunt inward. If you have some spots that look to be seasonally wind based (ex. late season Northerly winds) I wouldn't hesistate to go check it out. Same with overlooked spots that probably won't see action til hunter pressure picks up when season starts. Most deer are going to be bedded close to food right now which in a lot of cases won't be where they are going to be come season. Ag and farm bedding would probably be off the menu. Ultimately you need to determine your risk vs reward in regard to early season sits.

I did a quick run of an area I thought would be overlooked today. Spot is opposite of the road access into the main parking. It's higher elevation overlooking the road with private bordering on three sides and a slew running the middle of it. Thick tangle of cedars going in from the road with a deep drainage cutting through the cedar stand dumping into the slew. Once out of the drainage, it's a steep climb upward on to a large bench with two fingers. Heavy hickory and oaks scattered in this spot as well. Looked like some doe bedding further north on the bench so this spot might pay off come rut.

Found one good worn bed off a N-NW wind

Couple annual rubs heading into the bed
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:53 am

Wannabelikedan wrote:I agree with many that it's never too late. If you're worried about burning out a good spot come opener then I would save it for an observation or stage hunt inward. If you have some spots that look to be seasonally wind based (ex. late season Northerly winds) I wouldn't hesistate to go check it out. Same with overlooked spots that probably won't see action til hunter pressure picks up when season starts. Most deer are going to be bedded close to food right now which in a lot of cases won't be where they are going to be come season. Ag and farm bedding would probably be off the menu. Ultimately you need to determine your risk vs reward in regard to early season sits.

I did a quick run of an area I thought would be overlooked today. Spot is opposite of the road access into the main parking. It's higher elevation overlooking the road with private bordering on three sides and a slew running the middle of it. Thick tangle of cedars going in from the road with a deep drainage cutting through the cedar stand dumping into the slew. Once out of the drainage, it's a steep climb upward on to a large bench with two fingers. Heavy hickory and oaks scattered in this spot as well. Looked like some doe bedding further north on the bench so this spot might pay off come rut.

Found one good worn bed off a N-NW wind

Couple annual rubs heading into the bed

Good idea on scouting "Late Season" spots now. My October weekends are really screwed this year and I was already planning to hit November and Late Season hard. That looks like a killer spot. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”