Mervyn's corner

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Mervyn's corner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:54 am

There is a guy (Mervyn )who writes for the Waukesha business alliance. I doubt he is a hunter. But, I continually look at his writings and see them from a hunters perspective. Todays "Myrvyn's corner" made me chuckle and think about all the young hunters that I run across looking for short cuts...

Mervyn's corner:

I was speaking with a frustrated gentleman recently who had just about had it with a situation. We have all been there. He was simply tired of the fight and the struggle in a certain situation he was facing. We all face times where we think that we would be better off if situations were easier. I'm here to tell you that the struggle is what makes your accomplishment worthwhile. The struggle makes life worth living.

Anyone who enjoys the game of golf enjoys it because of the challenge, the struggle and the chance to overcome the challenges. If I piped every drive 300 yards down the middle of the fairway regardless of how bad my swing was or made every twenty foot putt that I attempted, I would get bored with the game pretty quickly. We know this to be true in any endeavor, but sometimes we get carried away with our emotions and fall victim to the lie that we don't want the struggle.

A hero of mine, Frederick Douglass, wrote the following about the struggle:

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."

Some of you may be facing one of life's many struggles today. Begin to tell yourself a different story about the struggle and the outcome of the situation. Above all, don't complain about it, for to complain is to remain. Embrace the struggle, knowing that on the other side of the struggle is your victory. As sure as I am living, we will all face storms in life. Don't give in and never give up. Surely you don't want crops without plowing up the ground. Well said, Mr. Douglass, well said.

Wlog
500 Club

Re: Mervyn's corner

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:38 am

So true!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:50 am

Jeeze that's a lot to read...is there an audio version of that column available? (Just a little dry shortcut humor for everyone!)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:10 am

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:25 am

It's why chasing big bucks keeps many of us interested.

You will never master it. There is always a new challenge. New goals.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:27 am

:clap:
“When standing on the walls of the Alamo the outcome has already been decided. All that’s left is to kill as many as you can.”

-Beth Dutton-
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:14 am

Wow does that him home for many of us in our careers, hobbies, deer hunting (unlike golf is not a hobby), families, and many other facets of life.
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
slowpoke69

Unread postby slowpoke69 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:12 am

That's a great reminder for everyone. Just because it gets hard doesn't mean to give up. That's how we grow. The Lord didn't intend on life being easy, and doesn't face you with something that he knows we can't handle.
sethg

Unread postby sethg » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:20 am

good reminder. thanks for posting.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:06 am

Bravo, that's a good one. I just read this while sitting in my office watching two youngsters hired to work outside cleaning and pressure washing. They were hired by the older lady who works for the owner of the building. God as my witness, the older lady (probably 60-70 years old) did more work (like twice as much) than these two 14-16 year olds combined. What is this world coming to???
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Would luv 2 give my 2cents of what this world is coming to but I have learned my lesson and harbor my inner chi... ;) my wife had me take a youngster like u described hunting a couple years ago, I told him we are just going to watch and if he is serious about hunting we will come out and scout and find him a spot for next season. As luck would have it a young up and comer 3 1/2 year old came by, the kid was amazed. I really thought he was gonna be a good kid, I came back 2 days later to see a truck parked in my spot. That kid, his dad and uncle all with rifles were there. First off it's in a no firearm area and when I confronted them it was awful they basically said what u think u own all the woods! It was private property I had sole permission. I suspect they came back afew more times.
“When standing on the walls of the Alamo the outcome has already been decided. All that’s left is to kill as many as you can.”

-Beth Dutton-
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:12 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Would luv 2 give my 2cents of what this world is coming to but I have learned my lesson and harbor my inner chi... ;) my wife had me take a youngster like u described hunting a couple years ago, I told him we are just going to watch and if he is serious about hunting we will come out and scout and find him a spot for next season. As luck would have it a young up and comer 3 1/2 year old came by, the kid was amazed. I really thought he was gonna be a good kid, I came back 2 days later to see a truck parked in my spot. That kid, his dad and uncle all with rifles were there. First off it's in a no firearm area and when I confronted them it was awful they basically said what u think u own all the woods! It was private property I had sole permission. I suspect they came back afew more times.

I'm sure it wasn't the kid, dont blame him for his dad being a piece of work.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:27 am

I know u r right but it still almost cost me a property. After that incident now when someone asks me where I shot a buck I simply reply right behind the shoulder!!

-Beth Dutton-
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:50 am

Boogie that is a terrible experience and I feel for ya, but don't stop taking kids to hunt because of it. It's a noble thing to take a kid out hunting and many won't become hunters because nobody did. I would say confuse em thoroughly as to where they're hunting next time. Obviously that kid had people that coulda took him, and they just used you. You're a good man, try not to let it keep you from taking someone who has nobody in their life to share this passion we have with them. No future hunters = no future hunting.
troutbum21

Unread postby troutbum21 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:59 pm

Boogieman1:

If I am taking someone I do not know or trust completely with me and I am choosing our spot, I always choose a chunk of public land that I don't hunt on a regular basis and do sort of a test run for the person. I used to hunt pheasants and a guy I worked with kept pestering me to take him out. We went out one day after work and did well. He and his family hunted that same chunk (it was public, so not quite the same as your situation) until every pheasant was dead. I learned a lesson about people from that guy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”