Yearlong pecking order

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Yearlong pecking order

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Another little piece of the puzzle..Never used summer cams before this year and I am finding it very fascinating. Not only watching bucks bodies changing, but also the way they act as a group. I assumed(I know, I know :lol: ) that bucks in bachelor groups hung out and ignored each other until " go time" in Oct. If a guy dumps a pile of corn on a field edge, there definately is some jostling going on...even a little staring down. Dan talks quite a bit about dominant bucks getting the best beds, but I never understood dominance was simply a fact of (deer) life and all year long, its just under the radar until the rut. It makes a lot of the "beast tactics" make more sense to me. Real simple stuff...I just need to not overthink things and see the woods through a big bucks eyes...I'm getting it... slowly :lol: I crack myself up while having the best time of my life :handgestures-thumbup:

Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Yearlong pecking order

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:45 pm

Does are the same way. They have their pecking order. Old nanny will straight kick the crap out of a sub-dominant doe that gets out of line. She will also hammer a yearling that has over stayed it's welcome. Me and my son watched it unfold one evening at a state park. He couldn't understand why the momma was beating on the little deer and it kept coming back for more until it finally got the picture.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:16 am

I can remember once when I was like 14 gun hunting the Monday after thanksgiving seeing a doe kicking the crap out of her button buck. He probably was trying to mount her. :lol: His hair was flying off in tufts. About a half hour later a 1.5 year old buck died from lead poisoning following her trail.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:27 am

Yeah deer are no different than cattle or horses. There are bosses and followers amongst them all.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:13 am

Used to have a old doe behind the house named stamper never hunted back their they were like the family pets.

She would run all the other deer out by charging at them face first so she could eat alone.

She ran off alot of young does and small bucks even some yearlings and she was paranoid being watched while she was eating. Her individual personality was amazing.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:32 am

Thanks Beasts, my whole point was the ignorance in my part about thinking about behavior the way I knew it...sitting in a stand shivering. I knew it was rut behavior because of the aggressiveness. I also knew deer breath 365 like we do but I never thought much about what they do on those other 300 days of the year when I'm not watching them. Neat stuff. Running cams I get to watch body language, tails, heads, ...Bucks remind me alot to behave like male dogs...
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Thought this would cool to go along with the thread!!never mind. I done with photo bucket :angry-banghead: :angry-screaming:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Thought this would cool to go along with the thread!!

https://postimg.org/image/s9gboxm53/
Seeing if this works
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”