Hunting the same spot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you keep your ladder stand in the same spot, or do you move it?

Keep it where it is
57%
Move it once or twice
6%
Move it more than twice
37%

Total votes: 35
bigwoodshuntn

Re: Hunting the same spot

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:12 am

I leave it in the same spot. My only ladder stand has been in the same tree for probably 6 years or so. In my eyes that is the purpose of a ladder stand. They are heavy, bulky, and really not the fun to put up(at least for me)

I also only hunt that stand maybe 2 times a year due to moving to many different spots like other mentioned.

And a X2 on what lockdown said.

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:49 am

In my spots that I harvest does for meat I use ladder stands (on my buddies property) I am the only one who hunts it. Does adapt pretty well so I usually hunt this spot once or twice and let i rest for a while then hunt it again. Then if the patterns of the deer change for the next year or the time of year it is I will adjust accordingly.

Hunting big bucks, I never use ladder stands. I always go in mobile.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:04 am

Hunting like everyone else nets the same results as everyone else...
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:14 am

dan wrote:Hunting like everyone else nets the same results as everyone else...

Yep. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:56 am

Jimmybob_581 wrote:Hi all, just checking in to see what everyone's strategy is. I typically hunt the same tree stand through all of archery, I've never had a problem with activity other than the typical days you just don't see anything. So how many of you keep the ladder stand in the same sot, or how many of you switch it up?

I guess it depends on a few things. Is this public or private? how many acres? I see you are 35 so I assume you can physically move it. Ideally a mobile set up like a stand with sticks would be the best. A climber would give you mobility but could impact what kind of trees you could set up in. If you only like ladder stands then you could buy some cheap $50-$70 stands and rotate them. If your only option is to use the ladder stand you have and can move it then move it. I consider myself a novice hunter but the one thing I have witnessed is that the first hunt is the best hunt as you will leave scent behind that maybe wont effect younger deer but will rob you from encounters from mature deer. Even when I use to hunt the same stands the deer I did see would be on pins and needles as they knew something was up but probably didnt have the experience I was there to kill them.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:15 am

As you can tell most of us are pretty serious about chasing mature bucks. If that's not your cup of tea fine. Using ladder stands may get you by. But even if does and young bucks are what your happy harvesting. These deer will get wise to overuse of 1 spot. You may even still be seeing plenty of action, but it may be all out of range. I'd at least try to have more spots each with it's own stand. Ladder stands aren't easy to reset. The noise and added scent/odors left behind will wise up the deer herd quick. Try to have enough stands for different wind directions. Don't hunt a stand if the wind is wrong.

That all said. Adopting a Beast type hunting style. Mainly being mobile and playing the wind. Will lead to more close encounters with does and young bucks than the sit in the same stands all season type of hunting. IMHO!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:19 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Lockdown summed it up very well.

I'm surprised Dan didn't mention his old trusty wood ladder "stand" that he hauls into the marsh. That thing is the ticket and I think my favorite ladder stand

X2...Stole my thunder!! :lol:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:01 am

Some of my best ladder stands are over bedding areas where the bucks are only 40 to 50 yards away.. And No you aren't going to hang and hunt these trees and even if you could why would you risk it HELLO...... So it stays put.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:07 pm

when I see a ladder stand on public I make note of it, try to figure out how the hunter accesses it, and I try to use it to my advantage.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Jimmybob_581

Unread postby Jimmybob_581 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:06 pm

I appreciate all the input. I'm just wondering because the stand I had set up, I had a nice buck come in, but I shot under him. The reason I placed it there is ease of quiet access and it was off two trails. I did however find this nice rub, deep in the woods where I might make a racket getting in there... but I knew I'd get great input on staying or moving, and I have!

Do not follow a path, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:57 pm

There is one thing for sure about ladder stands....many get put out and rarely used. I have 1 ladder stand and 2 tripod stands that I have not sat in 3yrs. 1 tripod stand, I have never sat.

In one of my best buck beds, there is a ladder stand that has not been used in 6yrs. Another bed I found this year with a nice shed in it, has 2 ladder stands in it.

I have always been mobile...plus I am cheap :D 30+ stands plus all the hardware gets kind of expensive.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:11 pm

Jonny wrote:

Yep. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Sometimes you get lucky. I know a guy that hunted the same ladder stand 21 days in a row seeing very few deer. On the 21st day he shot a nice buck. Sometimes insanity pays off for a blind squirrel. :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:15 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Sometimes you get lucky. I know a guy that hunted the same ladder stand 21 days in a row seeing very few deer. On the 21st day he shot a nice buck. Sometimes insanity pays off for a blind squirrel. :lol:

Yep, that's why most people get a nice buck once or twice in there life... I prefer consistent success.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:11 am

I am surpised by the results of the voting. If you have to move a ladder stand more than once or twice, why have one?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:01 am

I didn't vote cuz there were no good options to pick. If you want to get serious about hunting you need to ditch the one ladder stand method. Wether you move it or not you need better hunting methods. The good news is that you've found the perfect place for learning

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”