Stacking beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Nocturnal
500 Club

Stacking beds

Unread postby Nocturnal » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:32 am

I've been thinking about an area where I feel this could work well. This tactic has been talked about but it's not into full detail. It had me thinking about how deer move with or into the wind when pushed. Is this something I should think about in relation to the the bedding area I would hope they go to?

PK_
500 Club

Re: Stacking beds

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:29 am

Most the deer I bounce do whatever they can to get the wind at its back unless there is a specific reason it cannot or will not.

They may run into the wind a short ways but they almost always seem to circle if you track them.
Last edited by PK_ on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:30 am

Double post
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:20 am

Thanks PK. Anyone else care to share some thoughts to this?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:27 am

Its pretty hard to stack beds and predict movement the same day... My best stacking has come from stacking my way in, or stacking an area then hunting it a couple days later.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:58 am

My intentions are to stack my way in. I was just curious if maybe you paid any attention to the wind to maybe up your odds that they would go into a certain bedding area. Thanks for the response guys. 8-)
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:27 am

I would like to hear even more on this topic from Dan and others. I hunt areas with varying amounts of "high pressure". Much of it is marsh type terrain which seems like it would lend itself well to this type of tactic. I am convinced that in some areas I have scouted and hunted that other hunters are actually doing this job for me. Of course one would have to be able to monitor pressure very closely, which I can and do. Anyone have any examples of success or failure stacking? What type of terrain? etc.

Good luck Nocturnal..I always enjoy your posts on here..

Chad
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:46 am

This is something I am trying to use right now on an area that I've been hunting the last few years..

In that area I have noticed hunter pressure plays the biggest part in determining which general bedding area they will bed in. The deer seem to use several good bedding areas and a couple of these bedding areas are fairly large and it's hard to nail down a good setup..I've shot a couple bucks and had some encounters in a couple of these bedding areas but it usually takes a day or two of pressure before the bucks are really stacked into one or two of these,(when I say bucks I'm talking a buck or two, our deer densities aren't very high)..

My only chance to hunt this area the first three weeks of season this year will be on opening day, so this year I have already started the process of stacking those two areas by bumping the others to see what's in the area to increase my odds for opening day.

At least I will know for sure where some of the pressure has been.. :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”