Keeping warm.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Blinginpse

Keeping warm.

Unread postby Blinginpse » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:28 am

I see many threads About packing sticks to stands and so forth but I don't really see many ways in which you guys are carrying cloths in with that setup in order to keep warm on the cold days. I'm 5'9 145-150. So it takes a bit to keep me warm.

Here in Virginia I use a tree saddle until cold
Weather and that's about when gun seasons start therefore I go to hunting off the ground. With thst said I can pack everything in but when looking to be in Iowa I need a different setup.

With stand and sticks together how do you pack your cloths. Do you guys just stick them Under the bungee cords too that's holding your sticks and such to the lock on that's onnuour back? I have a warmbag and a iwom. Using those here at home during gun seasons allow Me to cut out a lot of cloths and rely on basically 2-3 pieces of clothing then use iwom or warmbag as my outter layer.

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Keeping warm.

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:53 am

I always strap my extra cloths to my stand under the bungee's. Usually I tuck my jacket right next to my stick before I put my bungee's on. I even do this in the warm weather. I rarely wear a jacket when I'm walking into my stand to stay cool.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 am

I bungee any extra clothes to the stand.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:43 am

tgreeno wrote:I always strap my extra cloths to my stand under the bungee's. Usually I tuck my jacket right next to my stick before I put my bungee's on. I even do this in the warm weather. I rarely wear a jacket when I'm walking into my stand to stay cool.

Same here. With Stick Talons it leaves a nice little open area between the sticks to bungee clothing and keeps everything low profile.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:19 am

I strap a pack to my stand with extra clothes if it's cold. Early season I'll just strap a jacket to my stand. I get cold easy.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:48 am

If you have a Thermacell they make nice little portable heaters too. Just don't install the pad. Fire it up and keep it in your jacket.

Oh - also the heated pads for back pain (not the scented icy hot ones) - they work well too. Put them over your kidneys. If your hunt ends before they;re done put them in a zip lock bag and squeeze the air out. You can then pick up where you left off with it when you remove it from the ziplock.

I have a hard time with weather. Not that the climate here behind the iron curtain in MA is really all that outrageous. However mornings and evenings can get really cold but when that sun is up... Temp changes occur quickly too. Merino has become my best friend.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:53 am

I usually just stuff my extra clothes under the bungees. It looks ugly but it adds even more silence to the stand keeping everything just a bit tighter
Blinginpse

Unread postby Blinginpse » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:08 am

Soundsgood fellers thanks
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:41 am

Blinginpse you probably read this in other threads but it makes a world of difference adding some form of molle waist belt to your stand carry system - save the shoulders and carry it on the hips, especially when you start stuffing in the extras
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:58 am

Stock adhesive hot patches to ur kidneys on top of ur base layer. When done, put in zip lock bag to reuse later. Works awesome.
Blinginpse

Unread postby Blinginpse » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:08 am

ODH wrote:Blinginpse you probably read this in other threads but it makes a world of difference adding some form of molle waist belt to your stand carry system - save the shoulders and carry it on the hips, especially when you start stuffing in the extras

I have read that yes as and my packs have internal frame so I do know how much putting weight to your hips can help. Thing is in a hang and hunt NONRESIDENT trip would the Molle be worth it due to having to put it somewhere while hunting throughout the day?

I'm not sure if a person would want to leave a stand hanging in iowa would he and pull the sticks when he gets down. Even if planned to come back later? I haven't read that far into the regs yet since haven't heard of being drawn yet
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:43 am

I can only reply to the first part - first I'll say I will use a saddle all season so reconsider that. But if you want the comfort of a stand then no need for the molle belt, stick with your current pack and just attach the stand and sticks to the outside. As you know this is not going to be comfortable but it will be bearable. Stuff the bag with food and all the layers you need and you are good to go.
Blinginpse

Unread postby Blinginpse » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:06 pm

ODH wrote:I can only reply to the first part - first I'll say I will use a saddle all season so reconsider that. But if you want the comfort of a stand then no need for the molle belt, stick with your current pack and just attach the stand and sticks to the outside. As you know this is not going to be comfortable but it will be bearable. Stuff the bag with food and all the layers you need and you are good to go.

I considered that on the saddle but i can get cold at times with even good cloths on in my saddle. I Have merino and so forth.

I've also been considering the stand and such in my pack but not sure my buckles and straps on the pack will Withstand that kind of weight
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Depends on the attachment points on your pack. Ultimately you need some method to carry in your stand, sticks, and layers and food. You either add a molle belt and shoulder straps to your stand and attach a bag to carry your layers and food, or do the opposite find a pack that will hold your layers and food inside that you can attach your stand to on the outside. There are lots of cheap packs which do this well if you need a new one.

Regarding the saddle in cold weather I follow you, but I find if I bring enough layers and/or waterproof layers then I'm comfortable. Iowa is cold but it's a dry cold - not like the northeast
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:55 pm

I just slide everything under the bungee straps and on my way. I use either bibs or coveralls. So it's not a big deal really.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”