Bedding question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Bedding question

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:15 pm

I am curious to hear from someone who has set all day over a bedded deer how much daytime movement he actually does under normal conditions? Meaning outside rut no wind change type thing. I've never set over one but have seen a lil mid day movement from the fringes but I never know what caused the movement could have been a coyote or something

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Bedding question

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:55 pm

Are you talking about early season, rut, or late?
I had deer bed near my stand sevral times, nothing big but smaller ones, some would lay for a couple hours and move off in the rut, does does and bucks! Outside of the rut Some would lay most of the day getting up some and nibble around for 20 or 30 minutes and bed again, a few times through out. Cant say i have ever seen a giant bedded, but i soon hope thats about to change. :pray: I have been hoping for that day!!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:43 am

Haven't been able to observe a bedded buck for a long time very often, but I know of telemetry studies that have given us a lot of data on that. On average they get up every couple hours to browse around the bed and relieve themselves. There is a lot of variance in the distance they travel but the studies in areas with hunting pressure suggest mature bucks stay in a very small area, may travel only a few yards any direction during the day. But every single one has to get up multiple times over the day to eat and poop...deer cannot survive by staying bedded 8-10 hrs straight. I would check out the Penn State telemetry studies, lots of info there and old threads discussing it on here too. http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/projects/deer/news

That lines up with what I have seen in person and when I have a buck bed in front of a trail camera - get up to browse and stretch every 1-2 hours and do not go far.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:05 am

JoeRE wrote:Haven't been able to observe a bedded buck for a long time very often, but I know of telemetry studies that have given us a lot of data on that. On average they get up every couple hours to browse around the bed and relieve themselves. There is a lot of variance in the distance they travel but the studies in areas with hunting pressure suggest mature bucks stay in a very small area, may travel only a few yards any direction during the day. But every single one has to get up multiple times over the day to eat and poop...deer cannot survive by staying bedded 8-10 hrs straight. I would check out the Penn State telemetry studies, lots of info there and old threads discussing it on here too. http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/projects/deer/news

That lines up with what I have seen in person and when I have a buck bed in front of a trail camera - get up to browse and stretch every 1-2 hours and do not go far.

Excellent post Joe
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:00 pm

JoeRE wrote:Haven't been able to observe a bedded buck for a long time very often, but I know of telemetry studies that have given us a lot of data on that. On average they get up every couple hours to browse around the bed and relieve themselves. There is a lot of variance in the distance they travel but the studies in areas with hunting pressure suggest mature bucks stay in a very small area, may travel only a few yards any direction during the day. But every single one has to get up multiple times over the day to eat and poop...deer cannot survive by staying bedded 8-10 hrs straight. I would check out the Penn State telemetry studies, lots of info there and old threads discussing it on here too. http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/projects/deer/news

Thanks Joe excellent info and great site!

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”