Locating core areas from shed hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Locating core areas from shed hunting

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:26 am

I am looking for some suggestions on how to determine a bucks core area. I scouted/shed hunted a new public area this spring and found a matching set of sheds from a mature buck in the timber (at least 400 yds from the nearest Ag fields). The area appeared to have fairly open understory but there appeared to be some areas which were thicker but I couldn't investigate because it was on private. The sheds were a few hundred yards from the property line and found within a hundred yards from each another. I wasn't able to confirm any buck beds in the area (I may have missed them) but also due to cover didn't feel this was an area he would prefer to bed. There was a decent amount of rubs and scrapes in the general area along with some other nice sheds I found. Also, I did find some cover along a creek bottom about 5-600yds away that had bedding but also had some hunter sign on the hillside. I realize that where deer winter and shed can be a long ways from their core area but in this scenario for a mature buck (at least 4) how likely was it that I was within his core area especially since the sheds weren't found in a food source? Essentially what I want advice on is 1) How likely is it that this area is part of the deer's core area given older deer seem to have small core areas and 2) How would others attack this situation (i.e. set up trail cameras on the perimeters to see if you capture the buck/confirm core area, summer scout adjacent farm fields to see if the buck can be located in general area, blind hunt it based on terrain, etc)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”