LW/Shoulder Problems

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: LW/Shoulder Problems

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:22 am

The reason Im asking is because my brother and I are both going thru similar shoulder issues. The main thing we have in common is hanging LW and similar stands. We both have bowhunted since our early teens. We are both fit, exercise daily, and fairly conservative with outlr techniques. Linemans belt=always.

Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:26 am

I've got torn rotator cuff in both shoulders and a torn right labrum. I've had several knee surgeries and a foot surgery to boot. I made the conscious decision years ago that shoulder surgery was too hit and miss to waste a year or 2 on rehab. 4 Years ago, the shoulder pain reached intolerable levels and I reluctantly switched to a recurve crossbow. It was the practice sessions that were the worst culprits and I didn't like the idea of hitting the woods without the full confidence that alot of practice gives you. I am able to keep up my workouts​ and more importantly, I can still keep doing what I really enjoy. Can't imagine the long UP winters without being out there hunting and scouting as much as possible. I guess my point is, you have to figure out what will work for you, and whether you are willing to adapt to stay in the game...
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:49 am

Everyone is different but I'll briefly tell you my story. I tore my labrum in my right shoulder but let it go for a year or two before seeing a dr. It finally got to the point that it was too much to shoot a bow and I made an appointment in august. The dr gave me a cortisone shot that got me through that fall and I had surgery a couple days after Christmas. I did the rehab and was shooting my bow by April to turkey hunt. There was some pain but it was manageable.

It's been about 10 years since I had surgery and I can tell my shoulder isn't the same as before I injured it, however it is a world better than it was after it was injured and before I had surgery. I pass a baseball with my boys pretty much every evening and I can shoot my bow at 70lbs without much issue. I've been playing around with a 52 lb longbow and can tell after only a few arrows a session that I may be asking too much from it. I'm glad I did it when I did and know without a doubt I'd be shooting a crossbow if I hadn't done the surgery.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:02 pm

I started having serious pain around Christmas time. I couldnt ever pull a bed sheet up. The motion and weight of my arm alone was excruciating. I have been going to rehab for months, and Ive gotten a cortisone shot as well. I will keep at it. I may try to see if a left handed bow may be a plan for this year before ai sit this year out.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:59 pm

daveynewman wrote:from the years of lifting heavy I have less and less mobility in my right shoulder. it's either rotator cuff issue, a tear or what they call boxers shoulder. I have been dealing with it for close to 8 months now and it still hurts when I sleep the most. if I do tons of stretches on it it relieves the pain a lot. they say a cortozone shot can stop the inflammation and it can heal after that.

Sometimes sleeping wrong can really mess up a shoulder too, I would often wake up in the morning and have a throbbing should all day because I would sleep on my shoulder or sleep with my one or both arms above my head. I starting being more careful about how I slept and that helped big time, might not work for everyone but it helped me out.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:33 am

The last two years before I had surgery on my shoulder I played with a lefty bow to see if it was any less painful, but it didn't work out for me. I was really scared that I'd have to use a cross bow. Archery was one of the biggest reasons I opted for the operation. What I found is what many others have said short practice sessions. I'd also throw ice packs on it when I felt like I'd over done it. If you're consistently sleeping in a way that hurts your shoulder you need to break that habit. The first month after surgery I could only sleep in a recliner, so I wouldn't roll I'd pack pillows all around myself too.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:43 am

Depending on laws a crossbow could be an option for those with injury. Here in MA they are not normally allowed. Bit if you have a DR note saying you can't draw a compound then they will let you have a license for one.

Diet can also help with swelling and recovery. Taking a tumeric supplement can help keep inflammation down.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”