Weather Fronts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

Weather Fronts

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:02 am

The wind switch post had me remember a WMA hunt I had about 5-6 yrs ago. It rained all night and was supposed to stop at 11 am.

I went in and used a climber - got positioned and was prepared to sit thru 6 hours of heavy rain to hunt immediately after the front passed. Mistake number uno was forgetting to wear rain pants - I had a poncho and figured it would cover everything. Not so much, it was dripping onto my pants - wicked and soon I was totally saturated. 10 AM I was getting hypothermic and shaking like a leaf and had to go change. Figured this one out yet?

Got back to the truck and the rain stopped, I changed and all but ran for the stand. Bumping deer around every tree it seemed. They moved the instant the rain stopped! Got to the stand and there is a monstrous FL deer track exactly where I thought it would be... Shimmied back up the tree and saw 10 does, the buck had already gone through.

Does anyone else try to time deer movement on weather/rain/snow fronts like that?

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Weather Fronts

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:25 am

Yes and I have failed miserably in an all to similar circumstance as you mentioned, but I have also had some nice encounters doing the same. One of the best bucks I have accidentally encountered was right after big storm rolled through. I say accidentally because I had no clue he was there I was just throwing my climber in the woods randomly trying to figure out this WMA. I recently went back in scouting that spot and found a picture perfect bed on a high spot surrounded by water with thick nasty thorns on one side and a deadfall across the other. To say that one is gonna get a sit next season if I can pull that quota is an understatement.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Kylet

Unread postby Kylet » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:51 pm

While I haven't killed immediately after a drastic weather front, I have observed good movement.

I especially like to be in the tree as a snow storm moves out. Even if it is mid day.
Kylet

Unread postby Kylet » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Here's an example of using weather to my advantage this past fall, though I didn't know it at the time.

It is a long, thick, wet walk into my hunting area and I'll admit that I get in the routine of taking the path of least resistance to get there. My stand was in an observation tree, although I was getting shot opportunities at noon target deer. I was trying to pattern a deer and figure out a tree where I could ambush him. It was a very very windy and warm day and I convinced my dad to come hunt a tree where I was seeing lots of buck activity. I carried his stand and sticks and hung the set for him. By doing this I approached my set from 180 degrees opposite direction than usual. The area has lots of marsh grass and the wind was making lots of noise to cover my movement. I wasn't swaying in the little elm tree long when I heard what sounded like a sneeze right behind my stand. I even text my brother saying that I thought a deer is bedded right under me and it just sneezed. Maybe 15 minutes later I saw him slowly walking behind some brush maybe 15 yards away, and then he just disappeared. Vanished. I couldn't understand what happened to him. Then right around dark the wind layed down completely and I heard the sneeze again, right where I last saw him. Finally he stood up from his bed and came under me. I firmly believe he was bedded within 30 yards as I climbed my tree, but the intense winds let me get in undetected.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:33 am

Cool pic Kylet! If mother nature ever shines on me and brings a rain front during the seeking phase it's the only time I will sit over a rub/scrape line. If the property is relatively low pressured when the front passes and rain stops those bucks are instinctively drawn to freshin up those rubs. I also have good results with a major mid day wind switch
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:17 am

My 8 point this year i killed right before a cold front hit. It started pouring and storming 20 minutes after i shot him.

I believe fronts and rain makes deer get up and move sometimes its right before sometimes right after a front.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Yes and I think it is excellent morning hunting if it rained all night.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”