Terrain entry vrs weather conditions.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Terrain entry vrs weather conditions.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:51 am

I would like to talk about entry to setups based on Different weather changes.

Whats you guys favorite entrys. And how do you like to setup on different weather conditions.

On calm quiet days crunching in leaves is really going to make noise would it be better to hunt in pines provided the wind for the setups correct?

This was a issue i really had last year my entrys were not that great. Even trying to go slow and be quiet at times i still made alot of noise by accident. Spooked more bucks then i saw from a stand. So this year im really wanting to hunt certain spots depending on which i can enter the quietest on that particular weather condition.

So im thinking on very wet leaves is the best time to hunt those hardwood setups?? Possible very windy days?? Acorns just crunch constantly in hill country.

Creeks are great but some slosh alot depending on how deep they are. Some are quicksand bottom some being rocky bottom. Creek entrys may be great on windy days??

Thickets can be very noisy to walk through many are full of downed limbs. Stand gets caught alot also increasing noise. If possible avoid them??

Field edges its easy to be quiet but public land fields here are few and far between.

Logging roads or dirt roads are great entrys but can usually only get within 50 yards or more from setup. They are great to use if possible.

Clearcuts are a nightmare the thorns trees close together stand catches all the time on stuff being quiets like impossible. Rainy days might be best??

So what conditions do you guys think is best for entrys?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Terrain entry vrs weather conditions.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:55 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I would like to talk about entry to setups based on Different weather changes.

Whats you guys favorite entrys. And how do you like to setup on different weather conditions.

On calm quiet days crunching in leaves is really going to make noise would it be better to hunt in pines provided the wind for the setups correct?

This was a issue i really had last year my entrys were not that great. Even trying to go slow and be quiet at times i still made alot of noise by accident. Spooked more bucks then i saw from a stand. So this year im really wanting to hunt certain spots depending on which i can enter the quietest on that particular weather condition.

So im thinking on very wet leaves is the best time to hunt those hardwood setups?? Possible very windy days?? Acorns just crunch constantly in hill country.

Creeks are great but some slosh alot depending on how deep they are. Some are quicksand bottom some being rocky bottom. Creek entrys may be great on windy days??

Thickets can be very noisy to walk through many are full of downed limbs. Stand gets caught alot also increasing noise. If possible avoid them??

Field edges its easy to be quiet but public land fields here are few and far between.

Logging roads or dirt roads are great entrys but can usually only get within 50 yards or more from setup. They are great to use if possible.

Clearcuts are a nightmare the thorns trees close together stand catches all the time on stuff being quiets like impossible. Rainy days might be best??

I remove limbs alot i might step on but must be soo careful not to make it obvious or other hunters will use my entrys.

So what conditions do you guys think is best for entrys?
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Not sure I'm answering your question properly but I hunt an area based on where I think my best chances are for a mature buck. However, I will leave a spot alone and wait for a particular weather pattern before moving in. It can be extremely noisy down here when oak leaves start to drop so often times I will wait for rain or maybe a morning hunt when the leaves are still soft from the dew. Also, if the leaves haven't dried out yet, I will go ahead and go to an evening stand early like around 1030 in the a.m.. Especially, if I have a long walk or a lot of tree coverage that keeps the ground damp later in the day. Tennis shoes are good option as well. Another thing that I have done, I think I got it from Ride Runner 7, was to lay down some rocks or sticks as you go in. You will now have a path to step on for that last 50 yds. Same with stream crossings.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:43 pm

I hunt when the wind is right for my setup. Wet, dry ,calm or windy. Waiting for everything to be totally perfect, every time is gonna put you on the couch more than in the tree. Perfect conditions are rare in my option. I rarely hunt in hardwoods though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:36 pm

I try to put myself in the best spot to succeed regardless of the weather, with that said some nice wind or wet leaves are wonderful to work with. Crunchy leaves you just have to "leave" home a bit earlier and go much slower. Walking in wet stuff can be easy and quiet or super challenging, just depends on what is there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”