The mental battle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

The mental battle

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:41 am

I know we've had multiple threads on the mental side of things over the years. (There are a few great ones in best all time tactical) I figured it would be good to generate some new discussion on the topic. Our mental state is sooo important.

Before last weekend it had been 2 months and 2 days since I'd been in the woods. I basically missed 95% of the best time frame to spring scout. I found myself doubting my chances at success later this fall because of it. "I probably won't get to hunt much this fall either, and I need that time on stand!"

"It's frustrating only trimming SOME of my existing stuff and not getting to see any new ground. I'm at a disadvantage right out of the gate this year and won't get everything prepped that I want to."

"Not being able to scout is really putting a damper on my learning curve and knowledge of these bedding areas."

These were the thoughts that filled my head, and I was more or less feeling sorry for myself.

On my way to prep a stand on Sunday, I decided to shut out the negativity and doubt. I knew I needed to rid myself of it but couldn't. Then the switch finally flipped. I changed my thoughts to "All it takes is one." And "I've worked hard enough the past two years to make up for lost time this year. I've got some solid bedding to hunt, and my sets will have me in the game for a big one EVERY hunt this fall."

"There's NOT A SINGLE REASON why I can't kill another big one. I don't need 30 hunts like I used to and the odds are in my favor."

I filled my mind with the thoughts of a KILLER. And now I am freakin' pumped for fall 2017. I know my time will be limited, but that doesn't matter to me anymore. I've got everything I need. Solid sets, experience, and several big bucks to chase. Something big IS going to die again this fall.

In the matter of one day my entire outlook changed. And now I'm happy and excited about deer hunting again.

A major piece of the puzzle for a big buck killer = being on top of the mental game!!!

stash59

Re: The mental battle

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:55 am

"You never know"!!!!

That's what keeps me going during season. Just being out there gives you a chance. Even in a "non Beast" type setup. You still have the possibility of a good buck coming by and giving you a chance. You don't have that watching TV or YouTube videos.

So just get out there. Maybe, just maybe. Something may cause a good one to come your way!!!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:03 am

Confidence in your spots!!!

I broke out a pen and paper this morning and drew up an are that I said "I can kill a buck here". After drawing things out I took to google earth... I can kill a buck there!! Everything makes sense it's just up to me to execute.

I think the toughest mental test is when your spots have been used, the season is ending and you just haven't seen what you expected. The doubts start to build and those perfectly executed entry's become sloppy. But all it takes is ONE sit, ONE split second to make it the best season ever. That's enough to keep me sharp
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:11 am

tbunao wrote:Confidence in your spots!!!

I broke out a pen and paper this morning and drew up an are that I said "I can kill a buck here". After drawing things out I took to google earth... I can kill a buck there!! Everything makes sense it's just up to me to execute.

I think the toughest mental test is when your spots have been used, the season is ending and you just haven't seen what you expected. The doubts start to build and those perfectly executed entry's become sloppy. But all it takes is ONE sit, ONE split second to make it the best season ever. That's enough to keep me sharp

The more time you've already spent on stand. The higher the odds of connecting. Especially if you've done your homework.

Tim you've been getting all A's this year for homework!!!!!!!
;) :handgestures-thumbup: :lol:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:04 am

tbunao wrote:

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I learned a lot from my experience last year. Confidence was high all season, then came crashing down as gun season wound down. Very Lucky for me the stars aligned when I expected it least.
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:20 am

The only proper way I know of beating the mental battle or the grind of the hunt is to relate it to muskellunge fishing.

The fish of 10k casts creates that mind numbing battle of cast after cast after cast. Each cast you have to be ready to perform the boatside figure 8 encase the muskie follows to the boat. This could mean boating a muskie or losing your opportunity for that day. So in other words you have to be able to enjoy the grind of the hunt for that elusive fish.

Many anglers say you have to "Love the Chase."

Your gonna have to love the chase into every swamp, bog, cattail slough w the stand on your back and sweat dripping down your forehead and shoulders aching. Because you are creating that opportunity for that buck to get up within that last few minutes of shooting light and making the kill shot.

Nothing better than netting a big muskie or walking up onto your buck. :D
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:42 am

RDubs44 wrote:The only proper way I know of beating the mental battle or the grind of the hunt is to relate it to muskellunge fishing.

The fish of 10k casts creates that mind numbing battle of cast after cast after cast. Each cast you have to be ready to perform the boatside figure 8 encase the muskie follows to the boat. This could mean boating a muskie or losing your opportunity for that day. So in other words you have to be able to enjoy the grind of the hunt for that elusive fish.

Your gonna have to love the chase into every swamp, bog, cattail slough w the stand on your back and sweat dripping down your forehead and shoulders aching. Because you are creating that opportunity for that buck to get up within that last few minutes of shooting light and making the kill shot.

I think that tells it all. I feel if your heart is truly truly in it then you embrace the mental struggle and everything that comes with it. Being able to have a short term memory and forgetting about yesterday or the first half of the season and sitting down wiping the slate clean and hammer out details from your scouting. Like a previous thread where an NFL quarterback is compared. You have to be able to adapt and switch up the game plan at the drop of a dime <-is that how that goes? :lol: Cause we all know they adapt and switch up the game plan at the snap of a twig.

stash59 wrote:
tbunao wrote:Confidence in your spots!!!

The more time you've already spent on stand. The higher the odds of connecting. Especially if you've done your homework.

Tim you've been getting all A's this year for homework!!!!!!!
;) :handgestures-thumbup: :lol:

Thanks Chuck! Means a lot!! I've made a lot of sacrifices in order for my homework to be of quality and not quantity. My quantity has been doing something everyday. 30 minutes split up between going over notes and cyber scouting. That could be done by getting up a little early or right before bed. Cutting Fb out of mylife has also allowed more mobile cyber scouting. If you love something you'll find away to make time for it.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:57 am

Do not underestimate cyber scouting. I usually can get in the general area and let the" in season scouting " do the rest. Walking with stand and letting " the now" sign come to you. Nothing is better then yesterday or last few hours sign.

With kids and my family I keep my expectations real and make most of what time I can get.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:09 am

There is two sides to every person. Mr Doubt, and Mr. Positive.

Mr Doubt dwells on the negitives, he thinks about what happened yesterday and the day before, he talks you out of pushing harder, going deeper, staying longer.. He says no way I will get this done in 10 hunts...

Mr Positive is confident, he believes this is his day, and even if he don't get it done, he still has 9 more days...

The biggest factor to success is belief and confidence.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:40 am

Lockdown wrote:
A major piece of the puzzle for a big buck killer = being on top of the mental game!!!

this may be the most important statement ever made on this forum.
i would go one step further and say the most important part of the puzzle for success at anything in life is mental additude.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:53 am

The most important hunting tool we have is right between our ears. If it's not working right and you don't have any confidence your in for a very long season. A positive attitude is a very powerful thing.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:25 am

I think a lot of guys know how to deal with success. I think those that know how to deal with defeat are those that are destined to succeed.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:57 am

RDubs44 wrote:The only proper way I know of beating the mental battle or the grind of the hunt is to relate it to muskellunge fishing.

Couldn't have said it better. :clap:

I also compare musky fishing to hunting big bucks. Takes the same determination and positive attitude day after day to succeed.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:26 am

Stanley wrote:I think a lot of guys know how to deal with success. I think those that know how to deal with defeat are those that are destined to succeed.
:text-goodpost:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:39 am

A positive mental attitude is critical! Most of the time that's easier said than done. I wounded and never recovered the biggest buck of my life a couple of years ago. That took me a long time to recover from! Trying to stay positive in that situation, was the hardest thing I ever had to do hunting wise. We all have to keep remembering: We are all human, and we are going to have our up and down. It's how you decide to recover form your "downs" that shows your character!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”