Rut setup question.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdaukontas

Rut setup question.

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:05 am

Have found numerous beds this spring which I am going to hit early season, but also found to be some real good all day rut setups. My only problem is that I am torn in one spot. My question is, will I have better success hunting a lowland swamp below a ridge line that is torn with sign, specifically where the river running the swamps splits into two, or focus my time on an awesome drainage ditch off the ridge above with very little sign? I have confirmed doe bedding low in the swamp, and along the ridge points. Based on the wind, my approach to one of them will burn the other one out. Neither place sees human activity in bow or gun based on its public location and how it buts against a huge block of private that is only field hunted way above the ridge.

Advise...

If it will better help, I can post an aerial and topo, but worry about tipping anyone off because there have been a lot of "beast watchers" in my area lately.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Rut setup question.

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:10 am

I would expect bigger older bucks to hold more to the cover near the does. Might see more off your ridge funnel, but more likely to see something real big in the cover near the does.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”