Buck beds w/o rubs? w/ pics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

comeback_kid

Buck beds w/o rubs? w/ pics

Unread postby comeback_kid » Fri May 26, 2017 11:07 am

So I found a nice buck bed, but didn't see any rubs. Are rubs always present?

https://i.imgur.com/ZJObuib.jpg

Pano of buck's view

daveynewman
500 Club

Re: Buck beds w/o rubs? w/ pics

Unread postby daveynewman » Fri May 26, 2017 11:42 am

no not always. nice find
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri May 26, 2017 12:18 pm

Nice looking bed! Rubs are not always present. They may be 100 yards away though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Fri May 26, 2017 1:29 pm

New to this too, and I have found many beds that don't have rubs. I've heard what others have said, but it'd be interesting to hear from guys if they have had better experience with beds that had rubs. Do rubs generally mean the buck uses the bed frequently?
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Fri May 26, 2017 1:50 pm

I've learned that not as many bucks in the area no competition
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri May 26, 2017 1:58 pm

When there are no rubs, I look for more subtle clues. Size of the bed, security of the bed (this one is the best secondary indicator in my opinion), poop size, tracks if there are any fresh ones. You might have to rely more on your gut or throwing a few stands at it to figure it out. After seeing enough for sure buck beds, you will start to get a 6th sense about these not so obvious beds.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Fri May 26, 2017 2:12 pm

I would say 50 percent of the beds I found this year had no rubs in them but judging by the size I assumed buck bedding and the fact they were lone beds and not groups was another factor I thought buck bed.. if I'm right I'm not sure just gunna throw sits at em
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Fri May 26, 2017 2:32 pm

Look for droppings. I can't remember who said it, but huge droppings get my juices flowing.
Josh03

Unread postby Josh03 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Jdaukontas wrote:Look for droppings. I can't remember who said it, but huge droppings get my juices flowing.

Many years ago a good friend of mine taught me big deer make big poop
Obsession Archery, Easton Arrows, Lone Wolf Tree stand
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Primary beds I would say about 80% have rubs within 20 yards of the bed. Bucks spend much more time in those beds and since they feel safe there they will rub very close by in the staging area holding there till dark. They will also get up periodicaly during the day rub a bit and bed down again. I don't find a bunch of rubs exactly right in the bed but if you search they will be very near. Any primary bed will have both old and new rubs from many different bucks over the years.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Nice find Heres 2 beds with no rubs near both very large single beds how active they are im not sure but the size fits. I think areas with fewer rubs are older age bucks with lower testosterone levels or very low competition just my guess. ImageImage
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 26, 2017 9:12 pm

My observations tell me that when multiple bucks are competing for a bed there are usually rubs there, or if its a rut bed... I have some primary bedding that used to get rubbed like crazy every year. Then we dropped our population significantly and all the rubs stopped. But we still killed and say big bucks using the primary bedding, just not as many cause of the population drop... So, rubs in and around bedding is a good thing. But you certainly can find great bedding without rubs. My biggest buck bedded under a willow tree a lot, he was there most of the time when we had a common westerly wind. I glassed him there many times over the coarse of 2 years. Even saw different bucks bedded there on occasion. I found one of his sheds in that bed, and eventually shot him while he was laying there... You guessed it, not a single rub within 100 yards... And another thing I have learned is that the middle age bucks 2 to 3 years old are a lot more aggressive rubbing around bedding than the older bucks. Most of the time When I see a heavy rubline leading right to a bed with rubs around the bed its a 2 year old buck. Big bucks of 4 or older usually have one or two rub trees near there bed, not a lot. Of coarse there are always a few exceptions, but this is the general rule.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”