Help with this Mountain

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ETNyates15

Help with this Mountain

Unread postby ETNyates15 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:22 am

I've got a spot close to my house that is overlooked during much of the season due to access issues I believe. I've watched the hill country DVD about 10 times but still having trouble marking this spot for scouting. Any help would be appreciated. Parking and trails are marked in red and the huntable area is the teal color, can't hunt or have a loaded weapon on the purple. Where would you guys start, and how would you access for hunting?

IndianOutlaw

Re: Help with this Mountain

Unread postby IndianOutlaw » Fri May 26, 2017 9:07 am

can you post a topo?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 26, 2017 9:20 am

On a south wind I would look along the edge of the purple for bucks to bed where it starts rapid drop off. I would also zoom a little closer and look for specific benches and knobs that are hard to see that far backed off. There are also some great land features in the N/W corner for just about any wind with the hills and draws over there.
ETNyates15

Unread postby ETNyates15 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:18 am

Thanks Dan, I'm gonna mark them and go take a look.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri May 26, 2017 11:14 pm

dan wrote:On a south wind I would look along the edge of the purple for bucks to bed where it starts rapid drop off. I would also zoom a little closer and look for specific benches and knobs that are hard to see that far backed off. There are also some great land features in the N/W corner for just about any wind with the hills and draws over there.

I'm just curious, you liked the nw corner, would these terrain features be something you should constantly key in on with several features bunched like this ? Or do they need to in the right areas? I don't hunt mountians but some hills I can hunt on public do have these features in areas, but just plan ridges points mostly everwhere. Just trying to trying to get a better handle on the cyber scouting on hill country. It Just seems my areas I pick have some sign but not seem to be connecting the dots more fully, on a big 50,000 acre plus WMA .
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
ETNyates15

Unread postby ETNyates15 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:47 am

Dan, what specifically would you key in on in that corner? Since it is such a drop off from the higher elevation I just didn't really think there would be a ton of Buck activity or bedding down in those lower elevations until maybe later season when the bucks would look for food.
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Sat May 27, 2017 1:31 am

ETNyates15 wrote:I've got a spot close to my house that is overlooked during much of the season due to access issues I believe. I've watched the hill country DVD about 10 times but still having trouble marking this spot for scouting. Any help would be appreciated. Parking and trails are marked in red and the huntable area is the teal color, can't hunt or have a loaded weapon on the purple. Where would you guys start, and how would you access for hunting?

These are the areas I would look at as far terrain features, based on my experiences growing up in WV and what I've learned from Dan and guys on here. There's a couple saddles, possible ditch funnels, and points that I think would hold bedding.

Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Sat May 27, 2017 1:33 am

Keep in mind, I just marked a few quickly. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”