Appalachian Mountain terrain and tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Appalachian Mountain terrain and tactics

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:41 pm

hokiehunter06 wrote:
Danny1977 wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation on footwear while hunting in this type of terrain? Early as well as late cold season?
I’ve always used my rubber boots but my feet sweat as I walk a couple hours to where I hunt. Then they freeze!

Thanks all

Depending on how far in I go and the time of year, I'll change socks at my stand or within a few hundred yards. Also, typically I'll just wear a t shirt leaving the truck and then put the sweaty t shirt and those nasty white or thin socks in a gallon zip lock bag in my pack. If you want to wake up quick, just strip down to your boxers on top of a mountain in mid November before daylight...

For boots, I started using Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400s or those Cabelas Iron Ridge 800s and the Cabelas Deluxe Cold Weather wool socks. Good Pac boots are the best when it's really cold, but they are so heavy. Rubber boots don't give me enough ankle support in the mountains.

the spots i target in mountains can still get very wet i also like slipping up drainage's to mask my scent or brooks also alot of great spots can be found around those bull rush swamps. i often use uninsulated rubber boots with wool socks and a pair of heavy rag wool socks in my pack then i pack in toe warmers. a chunk of carpet on your stand can be great too. big problem with boots that are not rubber is if you do get the outside materiel wet even if your foot is not. that cold mountain wind can cut there r value in half. over boots are also great later in year too. try cutting down on insulation you have in boot and make sure your striped down for climb. i can often be found climbing up threw ledges in December with just a base layer on. moisture is the number one reason most guys head down early.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:50 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
hokiehunter06 wrote:
Danny1977 wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation on footwear while hunting in this type of terrain? Early as well as late cold season?
I’ve always used my rubber boots but my feet sweat as I walk a couple hours to where I hunt. Then they freeze!

Thanks all

Depending on how far in I go and the time of year, I'll change socks at my stand or within a few hundred yards. Also, typically I'll just wear a t shirt leaving the truck and then put the sweaty t shirt and those nasty white or thin socks in a gallon zip lock bag in my pack. If you want to wake up quick, just strip down to your boxers on top of a mountain in mid November before daylight...

For boots, I started using Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400s or those Cabelas Iron Ridge 800s and the Cabelas Deluxe Cold Weather wool socks. Good Pac boots are the best when it's really cold, but they are so heavy. Rubber boots don't give me enough ankle support in the mountains.

the spots i target in mountains can still get very wet i also like slipping up drainage's to mask my scent or brooks also alot of great spots can be found around those bull rush swamps. i often use uninsulated rubber boots with wool socks and a pair of heavy rag wool socks in my pack then i pack in toe warmers. a chunk of carpet on your stand can be great too. big problem with boots that are not rubber is if you do get the outside materiel wet even if your foot is not. that cold mountain wind can cut there r value in half. over boots are also great later in year too. try cutting down on insulation you have in boot and make sure your striped down for climb. i can often be found climbing up threw ledges in December with just a base layer on. moisture is the number one reason most guys head down early.

there are rubber boots with good ankle support out there every foot is different. im having great luck with the cheep all rubber irish setter ruttmaster 2.0 lites. they have good ankle support but still have a soft botton so you can feel what your stepping on. alot of guys also like the aero heads from lacross but ive yet to try them. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10183 ... boots-mens
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Bud TN

Unread postby Bud TN » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:13 am

I use a combination of foot wear. The ground in the mountains here is like walking in sand due to the thick layer of leaf litter. Combine that with mtn terrain, Larel and ivy thickets, huckleberry, bear berry and saw briars adds what feels like 10lbs per foot step. That said traction and ankle support are critical for me. I have extremely flat feet in addition. I have found my rubber "Grubbs" boots to feel and grip very well in all terrains I've put them in. Even in dry oak and pine needles which are as slick as glass on a mtn slope!!

I also use the American made 200g Danner boots(yes, there is a difference!). I use those when I know I will be doing more still hunting and scouting. I use merino wool socks and insulated over boot covers with hot hands when I'm sitting still.
For me, changing my socks just before I get to my stand helps me sit longer.

My feet are my biggest enemy from being able to stay in the woods all day. If my feet get cold, I'm cold and I can't stay focused. I found some wool military surplus over-sock boot inserts help when it's really cold and snowy as well. My feet are the one area I've always struggled with when it comes to gear. I am a firm believer that your feet are the most important area you need to focus on and that get what you pay for.

Speaking of feet! Be sure to have your snake bite protection on If you're heading out to the woods!! I got reminded that I was too close to a ~4ft rattlesnake yesterday while I was out in the mtns!!! Thankfully it was visible at about 10 ft from me when it started rattling. :shock: :!: :shock:
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:19 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
hokiehunter06 wrote:

Thanks all

there are rubber boots with good ankle support out there every foot is different. im having great luck with the cheep all rubber irish setter ruttmaster 2.0 lites. they have good ankle support but still have a soft botton so you can feel what your stepping on. alot of guys also like the aero heads from lacross but ive yet to try them. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10183 ... boots-mens

Start a boot thread guys. Hate to see this thread get derailed
Danny1977
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/danny.mannywithabigfatfanny/

Unread postby Danny1977 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:31 am

Bud TN wrote:I use a combination of foot wear. The ground in the mountains here is like walking in sand due to the thick layer of leaf litter. Combine that with mtn terrain, Larel and ivy thickets, huckleberry, bear berry and saw briars adds what feels like 10lbs per foot step. That said traction and ankle support are critical for me. I have extremely flat feet in addition. I have found my rubber "Grubbs" boots to feel and grip very well in all terrains I've put them in. Even in dry oak and pine needles which are as slick as glass on a mtn slope!!

I also use the American made 200g Danner boots(yes, there is a difference!). I use those when I know I will be doing more still hunting and scouting. I use merino wool socks and insulated over boot covers with hot hands when I'm sitting still.
For me, changing my socks just before I get to my stand helps me sit longer.

My feet are my biggest enemy from being able to stay in the woods all day. If my feet get cold, I'm cold and I can't stay focused. I found some wool military surplus over-sock boot inserts help when it's really cold and snowy as well. My feet are the one area I've always struggled with when it comes to gear. I am a firm believer that your feet are the most important area you need to focus on and that get what you pay for.

Speaking of feet! Be sure to have your snake bite protection on If you're heading out to the woods!! I got reminded that I was too close to a ~4ft rattlesnake yesterday while I was out in the mtns!!! Thankfully it was visible at about 10 ft from me when it started rattling. :shock: :!: :shock:

I’ve had the same experience while hiking in the mountains here buy almost stepping on one rattlesnake and one copperhead all in the same month. So for now snake boots it is until fall

Thanks for the info
Spent all of my money on archery and hunting gear.....the rest I just wasted
Bud TN

Unread postby Bud TN » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:01 am

Ok I have a question for this topic.

Hunting the appalachains, my biggest struggle is predicting wind at my stand.

my deer seasons here are extremely short and i find that it adds stress into my decision making about stands and hunting.
My season is as follows:
2 weeks of bow season in september
1 week of muzzleloader in Oct.
1 week of Gun in Nov.
2 weeks of Gun in Dec.

The other times in between are slotted for Bear/hog hunting with dogs or are either closed completely.

Now, keep that in mind for the rest of this.

I find that the scouting apps DO NOT work in the mountains here for predicting the wind.

With elevations between the bottoms and the tops of ridges raging from hundreds to a thousand feet or so, the wind direction where I start walking is usually not the same as it is after the 1-3 mile hike to my intended stand.
On top of that, thermals usually kick in which causes wind to constantly shift depending on where you are hunting (i.e. primary ridge, secondary ridge and tertiary ridgelines).

What do you all do when the wind direction is not the same at your stand as compared to predicted. Especially, If you're sitting at the edge of a known bed/bedding area.

Do you stay and hope you can catch a deer traveling into the direction that the wind IS blowing or do you get down, reposition or still hunt?

When i hunt these locations, i try to be on stand at least 1-2 hrs before daylight trying to catch him on his way back to bed or i'll stay till i can determine the wind direction. At that time i'll make a decision about what to do. However, I am CONSTANTLY struggling with the "stay or go" decision.

I have observed the bulk of deer movement here happens between 7-12 i have never killed a deer after 1pm here (i know it can be done though). So i'm reluctant to move before noon even if the wind is wrong. So there in is my problem and my struggle with wind and the stay or go decision.

I just find it really hard to put in the effort to walk 3 miles in to only turn around and walk out if the wind isn't right.

i am constantly thinking "what if...what if...etc." and often wind up doing nothing instead. :roll:

If or when i do make a decsion, my tactic has been to swap sides of the ridge i'm hunting or i will get down and still hunt into the wind. But i think sometimes i'm waiting too long to make this decision.

So here are my questions:
1. What do you do when the wind isn't working for you in the mountains?
2. How do you deal with the stay or go decisions?
3. How do you prevent time pressure from affecting your decision based on the previous Q & As?

To me, it really comes down to confidence, having the knowledge about the terrain and what to do based on what conditions you're given.

I struggle with the confidence and knowing what to do and when. :lol:

Sometimes you just got to make a decision, right or wrong.

Thoughts, comments, help!?!?! :lol:

Thanks,
Curdog10

Unread postby Curdog10 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:36 am

Bump for a great read ....
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:06 am

Bud TN wrote:So here are my questions:
3. How do you prevent time pressure from affecting your decision based on the previous Q & As?

#1 The wind in the mountains are tough no doubt. Toss out anything the weather man is calling for, because each set of hollors and hills are different.
Something that has helped me though: Take note of the prevailing wind when you step out of your truck. Once you get to your stand site,before the thermals begin rising, see what wind you actually have on stand. Then once you know the bottoms are in sunlight and have heated up,and the thermals are rising for sure, see what wind you have then. KEEP THOSE NOTES. Most times in hill country I have to test and see what the winds are and what they are doing...notes!

#2 I can relate to the stay or go idea. Here is the thing though, for me personally, if I know of a buck bed, and my wind has a chance of getting to him and busting him out of there, then I am moving. I wont take a chance on educating him unless its a spot I plan to hunt once and not hunt there again for a month or so.
Hunting in these mountains we have, I try to locate plan B plan C stand sites, just in case. One thing I read in your post... "when i do make a decsion, my tactic has been to swap sides of the ridge i'm hunting" One of the things that I have proven to myself over and over again since hunting with the BEAST tactics...I ALWAYS hunt on the leeward side of a ridge line. The only time I have caught shooter bucks on the other side of the ridge is when they have their noses on the ground following a hot doe or chasing one. My hunts are almost always on leeward now.

#3 I toss time pressure out the window! We all only have so many days per season we can hunt. I try and go sit where I think the freshest, hottest sign of either a known buck or a suspected buck is at. Worrying about time restrictions only adds stress to the hunt. The hunt isnt supposed to be stressful, we're out there to have fun brother. We all want to kill a shooter buck or two every season. Making the most of the time you have to hunt and not being worried about getting it done in "X" amount of time helps.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:08 am

backstraps wrote:

#1 The wind in the mountains are tough no doubt. Toss out anything the weather man is calling for, because each set of hollors and hills are different.
Something that has helped me though: Take note of the prevailing wind when you step out of your truck. Once you get to your stand site,before the thermals begin rising, see what wind you actually have on stand. Then once you know the bottoms are in sunlight and have heated up,and the thermals are rising for sure, see what wind you have then. KEEP THOSE NOTES. Most times in hill country I have to test and see what the winds are and what they are doing...notes!

#2 I can relate to the stay or go idea. Here is the thing though, for me personally, if I know of a buck bed, and my wind has a chance of getting to him and busting him out of there, then I am moving. I wont take a chance on educating him unless its a spot I plan to hunt once and not hunt there again for a month or so.
Hunting in these mountains we have, I try to locate plan B plan C stand sites, just in case. One thing I read in your post... "when i do make a decsion, my tactic has been to swap sides of the ridge i'm hunting" One of the things that I have proven to myself over and over again since hunting with the BEAST tactics...I ALWAYS hunt on the leeward side of a ridge line. The only time I have caught shooter bucks on the other side of the ridge is when they have their noses on the ground following a hot doe or chasing one. My hunts are almost always on leeward now.

#3 I toss time pressure out the window! We all only have so many days per season we can hunt. I try and go sit where I think the freshest, hottest sign of either a known buck or a suspected buck is at. Worrying about time restrictions only adds stress to the hunt. The hunt isnt supposed to be stressful, we're out there to have fun brother. We all want to kill a shooter buck or two every season. Making the most of the time you have to hunt and not being worried about getting it done in "X" amount of time helps.
Bud TN

Unread postby Bud TN » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:24 pm

backstraps wrote:
backstraps wrote:

WOW, Excellent Feedback! :clap:

I had already decided that I am definately going to start keeping a notebook on my various stand locations this year. I've always tried to rely on the weather reports for prevailing, but actual boots on the ground locational based data is much more useful. One thing i've tried to do is go back and look at what the prevailing wind called for verses my observations on the days i've made kills.
But all of this is contingent on good note taking. I think by far keeping good notes is one of the most important tactics that i've picked up from this forum.

To go along with keeping good notes, without them i really handicap my chances becuase i can only "hope" that the prevailing wind vs. actual wind is the same at my planned stand location. Again another plug for good note skills as a hunter!!

I struggle with time pressure and probably always will. Here at work i am required to be 100% error free and to use self-checking error prevention tools for everything i produce. Time pressure (either perceived or actual) is one of those error likely situations. I can say that time pressure is completely self inflicted and preventable. I need to take a bit of my own medicine and apply a few of my work lessons to the deer stand.

As i continue to learn from folk such as you and other Beasts, i keep seeing a few fundamentals pop out:

Learn the hunting beast Principles, Do the work, Take good notes, Make a plan, Prepare yourself, then just go have FUN!! :dance:

I think if I really take all those to heart, the above 3 questions will resolve themself (as i say to myself Keep It Simple Stupid!!)

Thank you!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:29 am

Very welcome

The hills in our area are really tough, then couple that with low deer density, to say the least can be very challenging. Can also lead to great rewards when goals are accomplished

Best of luck!!
Catskills

Unread postby Catskills » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:46 am

Waiting on the Oct 1 opener here in NY. I want to bump this thread to get it going for this season. Report what you guys are seeing, what the deer are eating in the mtns etc. Good luck this year!
Danny1977
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/danny.mannywithabigfatfanny/

Unread postby Danny1977 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:16 am

Good luck to you as well. The opener here in WV is this coming Saturday
Spent all of my money on archery and hunting gear.....the rest I just wasted
bowtarist

Unread postby bowtarist » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:24 pm

I live and hunt the Cumberland plateau. I've not been a dedicated beast hunter but have had success with it in the past. I've not been able to consistently locate primary beds in my area. I've found 3 or 4 and they have all resulted in an encounter with a buck. All of these beds have been located just under the top of the mtn or ridge. Mainly against rock bluffs or walls. They'll tuck in between rocks that have fallen off the bluff and the actual bluff. They don't usually have any sight advantage at all. One particular bed is between a tree stump and a bluff wall. There's only enough room for a deer to lay down between it. He can't see anything when his beds in there and I don't see how he uses wind to his advantage with it being against the wall. It seems to me that the wind blows 20ft over his back. I assume the bed is hearing based. It is about 80 yards from a well used road on the area and no one hunts it. I went in last year to check it and kicked a buck out of it. He let me get within 20 ft before he bolted. I never got an opportunity to hunt it last year but I will be there opening day this year.

Another thing I've noticed here is that deer bed under the rock outcroppings like crazy. If there's a small over hang, I'll bet my paycheck there's a bed under it. I've sat a camera or two out at these spots but they only seem to hit them during heavy rains and then it's mainly does.

I love hunting the mtns, but the older I get, the more my knees and back tell me to look for flat land. Lol. We're somewhat lucky here in the fact that we're allowed to use atvs. Where they are not allowed, you can still use them to retrieve deer.
ezmorningrebel

Unread postby ezmorningrebel » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:08 am

i found and read through this thread last night. this is why i signed up on this website to find stuff like this. you don't see this type of info anywhere else.

my primary experience is hunting the valley and ridge topography of the blue ridge. these linear ridges and valleys are miles long mainly running in a SW-NE direction. typically one side of the ridge down to the valley will be private and the other side Jefferson National Forest. public hasn't been logged in years so it's almost exclusively mature hardwoods. there is very little in the way of crop agriculture in the valleys due to soil conditions so it's primary used as pasture for cattle. the deer are living off of browse and mast for the most part. access is out of the valleys almost exclusively so if you want to get above deer for a morning hunt you have got to get in early and be ready to hike.

it took me 3 years of bowhunting it before i killed a doe on a morning sit and it felt like i had shot a booner. i finally feel like i understand what the does primarily do and can pattern them. if it's dry i look for water. along with water i'm looking for the path of least resistance which can be very subtle on a topo map but very effective when you find it.

i saw two separate mature bucks in there last year and now i'm trying to work out how to get on them. trying to hunt them high in the morning during october seems like a futile effort. they move up in the dark to their beds so i'm starting to think i'm just educating them by hiking up in the morning and hunting. during the rut they'll be coming up later and bedding at lower elevations typically at the head of draws so they can scent check the thermals. evening hunts closer to the valleys seem like a better option but before the rut but they'll wait until last light to come down so you have to balance how close you can push up towards their beds without them seeing you and still having time to shoot. i made the mistake of shooting a doe out of a group on an evening hunt around halloween last year and sure enough, a nice buck came walking behind the group about a minute later and all i can do was watch him. live and learn i guess.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”