Are You Where You Want To Be?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Are You Where You Want To Be?

Unread postby Jrichard » Mon May 01, 2017 6:16 am

Okay so I remember about 5 months ago everyone started posting things about how they wanted to improve on certain things. Some people said they had to practice shooting more. Some people said they wanted to scout more. Some people said they wanted focus more on finding more spots.

I am posting this to see where people are, and if they made they are following through with what they wanted to do, whether it be scout more. Have more time in the field ect. I just want to keep people in check! As we all know life takes hold and the season shows up a lot faster than anticipated.

I want to make sure I am much more prepared for the season. My clothes weren't even washed and ready to go until the morning I was supposed to go out hunting on opening day. lol Not to mention I havent stepped foot in the woods to scout since the season ended. Last year I scouted everyday I had off. I'm not happy about where I am at and I need to change it fast. So I thought this post may help other people accomplish what they wanted to accomplish before the season!

JAK
500 Club

Re: Are You Where You Want To Be?

Unread postby JAK » Mon May 01, 2017 7:02 am

I would say with the scouting I'm where I want to be. I'd like to shoot more. And where I want to be this fall is my first beast method buck on the ground :dance:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:12 am

Improvement never ends. So no I'm never where I really want to be!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon May 01, 2017 8:07 am

Everyday I inch closer and closer to where I want to be. Will I ever achieve it... probably not. That would mean there would be nothing left to learn and that just does defeats the purpose in my eyes. As far as goals set at the end of last season going into 2017, I think I have surpassed my expectations. I'm excited to get my but kicked and see where I went wrong.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon May 01, 2017 9:59 am

I'm always striving to be better! To me, being as well prepared as humanly possible is the only way to be the best hunter I can be. This includes scouting, shooting and making sure my gear is tip-top.

Until I have a mature buck on the ground this season, I will not be where I want to be!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon May 01, 2017 10:58 am

I am very comfortable where I am at as a hunter, the goal is a mature-ish public land buck every year. I put myself in a good spot to achieve that, now that doesn't mean I get there every season (bigwoods & family make it tough) but I am very happy with my progress and results so far. Like others have said, we are always trying to raise the bar and or become that ultra consistent guy or to try and catch up with a public land slob (been close a couple of times) but the fun is in journey and I love to make the most of it.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Im pretty content. Working toward some major changes in my life so I'm not as aggressive with my hunting as i have been in the past but success is still coming so whos to complain. Lol
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 01, 2017 5:09 pm

stash59 wrote:Improvement never ends. So no I'm never where I really want to be!!!

Same here. Learning and improving is a never ending process. I have never been one to be content. Even if I killed a 170" 5 year old every year I would never say that I am the best I can be. Always trying to find new ways to challenge myself. When that challenge is gone I will quit hunting. Don't see that happening in my lifetime.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue May 02, 2017 2:56 am

Yea seems to be a fine line between always seeking improvement but that the same time not getting too down on yourself for what you don't know or are not getting done. That seems to lead to just more procrastination....

The longer I do this, the more I focus on enjoying the journey. I am always trying to learn something and want to learn more.

So right now I am exactly where I want to be. Doesn't mean there are also some things I want to do this spring yet.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue May 02, 2017 7:05 am

stash59 wrote:Improvement never ends. So no I'm never where I really want to be!!!

Yep!

That being said, Like the other guys said, its all about learning to enjoy the journey as much as the result. When you do that, despite knowing you will never be where you think you want to be, you will always be content in trying.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:10 am

I'm making some good progress on where I wanted to be. Still have something's​ to do.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sun May 14, 2017 5:48 am

I haven’t done as,much scouting as I hoped, but I blame a lot of that on flooding rivers this time of year. I have made better than expected strides in improving my aim (gun and bow), which is huge for me. So I'm happy overall where Im at.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun May 14, 2017 10:57 am

Our green up was really early this year, and I haven't been in the woods in almost 2 months. Also, this time of year, I don't have access to a kayak. The Kayak is most of my access plan, so I can't get into many worthwhile places without it. With the equipment additions I have made this spring, I don't think it will be too much of a handicap. But,I would have liked to get into a few more places before it got hot and the bugs got out. Heck, I am leaving the 2 cams I have on a small food plot on private land to try to narrow down entry and exit on there. I won't even have an inventory of anything on public.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sun May 14, 2017 12:07 pm

I'm pretty satisfied with where I'm at in terms of hunting. Of course I wish I had way more time. I think my success would improve a ton if I was able to do the amount of scouting I desire. Life is about balance tho or at least for me and with everything else I have going on from a demanding job to a family with my child having something going on 5 nights a week, I am just glad to be where I'm at. I know most struggle with lack of time but I feel that is my biggest obstacle these days. Depending on how I look at that tho is what determines how you feel about where you are. For me I'm pretty satisfied and feel I'm doing the most I can do with the time that I have.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”