24/7/365

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Re: 24/7/365

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Thinking about what locations I will place trail cameras in a month or two. Working out to stay in shape.

Fixing screens the dogs wrecked :lol:

Need to narrow down my best stans sites for a probable out of state hunt.

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:19 pm

I've been at it since January pretty regularly. I think I may have only missed a 5 or 6 Sunday's not including my scouting trip to Ohio. Areas I have a few years history in were fine tuned even more. New areas are set up and ready to see what's using them. The thought process going into new areas and how the deer are using them have escalated. Things just seem to make so much sense. Now I just need to get the timing down on when to hit each one. I have a good idea on when jotted down in the notebook but I believe everything has a week or 2 window at first then dwindles down to a week window and down to who knows where they are.

I took 3 days off in the middle of the opening week for turkey next week. I've only hunted 1 of several surrounding public pieces in the western part of the state. Plan is to run and gun til cut off time (noon) then double up on scouting. Listen for birds while I check waypoints and look for birds while driving from public to public. I like these mini vacations.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:22 pm

I have been hard at it prepping tree stand locations. They high waters in the swamps arent making it easy either. Hip boots for every tree it seems like. But hey, it has to be done.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Scouting with boots on the ground once I run out of time I'm going to cyber scout some sets for scout and hunt sits
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:32 pm

I check in on the Beast daily. Keeps me inspired. Try to stick to the regimine my docs have me on. So I'll feel well enough to get in some stand prep/ scouting in July. Hunting in September through the season.

I look at aerials trying to find easier access spots that I've missed. Try to workout the best approaches and spots for some blind hunts into good looking cyber areas.

Gonna start figuring the best way to carry my xbow while using my walking sticks. Also how to use the walking sticks for shooting sticks. Get my ground hunting gear together. Make sure I get good broadhead flight out of the xbow.

Push myself physically everyday. Even if it's just working on my woodworking projects for a couple hours. Just getting out of the house and moving a little. Being on my feet instead of in bed.

\Daydreaming!! Thinking positive. Going through scenarios that I think have a possibility of happening. Trying to think of what can go against the plan and figure out how to still pull everything off.

Just look forward to spending time outdoors in the fall. And enjoying what comes with that. Even if it's just being a nature observer!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Mostly I'm reflecting on the last few years of information. Everything I saw them do, every picture, everything I thought they were doing, all of it makes me better understand where I should be this year. It's a process, and it took a long time to figure out, but lately I've found myself in the "right" place more often than not.

And I'm trying something new this year I'm taking everything I've learned on this site and applying it to new ground. Stepping outside the comfort zone and off the land I know well. Like everyone free time is in short supply so I'm taking a risk but I am excited for the challenge.
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:38 pm

stash59 wrote:I check in on the Beast daily. Keeps me inspired. Try to stick to the regimine my docs have me on. So I'll feel well enough to get in some stand prep/ scouting in July. Hunting in September through the season.

I look at aerials trying to find easier access spots that I've missed. Try to workout the best approaches and spots for some blind hunts into good looking cyber areas.

Gonna start figuring the best way to carry my xbow while using my walking sticks. Also how to use the walking sticks for shooting sticks. Get my ground hunting gear together. Make sure I get good broadhead flight out of the xbow.

Push myself physically everyday. Even if it's just working on my woodworking projects for a couple hours. Just getting out of the house and moving a little. Being on my feet instead of in bed.

\Daydreaming!! Thinking positive. Going through scenarios that I think have a possibility of happening. Trying to think of what can go against the plan and figure out how to still pull everything off.

Just look forward to spending time outdoors in the fall. And enjoying what comes with that. Even if it's just being a nature observer!!!!

I'm with you on the daydreaming. Boy do hunting tactics take up a lot of my thoughts. Although sometimes in the way, I come up with new ideas and aproaches all the time by just daydreaming and thinking things over.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:44 pm

Scouting hard the past few weeks. Prepping trees and figuring out entry/exit routes. Did one today and actually found a much better buck bed in some real thick stuff... Actually doing more deer scouting and much less turkey hunting/scouting. Guess its my new found beast enthusiasm. Haven't really looked at bear scouting but will be starting that soon.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:47 pm

I went an prepping a little on my tree that my stand is going in. Had a picture of two bucks with about 3 inches on them right now. One of them was just looking at camera an moved on. Other one looked at camera like a light come on in his head. He looked a little older. Had that deer in head light look. Going to run camera in there till around mid of July then pulling it out.
Last edited by Ghost Hunter on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:52 pm

Clink wrote:
stash59 wrote:I check in on the Beast daily. Keeps me inspired. Try to stick to the regimine my docs have me on. So I'll feel well enough to get in some stand prep/ scouting in July. Hunting in September through the season.

I'm with you on the daydreaming. Boy do hunting tactics take up a lot of my thoughts. Although sometimes in the way, I come up with new ideas and aproaches all the time by just daydreaming and thinking things over.

Daydreaming is something ive been doing for a long time myself. I think it keeps me mentally focused on hunting a lot more when im in the tree running scenarios over in my head. Like what was said, gives me some new ideas at times.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:03 pm

Ive been scouting and taking notes as much as my time has allowed me this spring. Cyber scouting and reading the beast just about everyday. Mapping out my finds and mapping places i want to scout. This past week i was off for a few days cause i injured my leg, but still able to walk so i drove two days looking at new areas to hunt sittin in the truck. I found a few heavily used buck trails off of the road, that gave me some hope! :idea:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
whitetaildna
Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitetaildna

Unread postby whitetaildna » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:19 pm

I hunt a lot of public land, so I'm continuously looking at maps, and searching for new areas. This coming weekend is a big weekend for me, I need to take a few trail cameras down that were running all of last season just collecting info for next year. I'll take time to go through those pics to see if those spots will be areas I focus on next year. I'll also be prepping stand trees in bedding areas that I don't want to step in until I hunt them next fall. I'll hang stands in a few trees, clear shooting lanes, etc. then take the stands down, and come in with a stand on my back in the fall when the time is right.
Alex Comstock

Founder of WhitetailDNA

http://www.whitetaildna.com
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:20 pm

(Sorry to repeat myself again guys... Feel like a broken record :D ) Work and family are keeping me out of the woods this year, so I've concentrated on existing sets. I did do a tiny amount of scouting at a new parcel, but I knew full and well that time was going to be an issue for me this spring. So I'm making sure the stuff I do have is 100% ready to rock and roll.

Total bummer not getting to explore new territory... Feels like more work than play, but it's what I have to do to be in the game this fall.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:43 pm

I've been hard at it since the beginning of Feb. scouting & prepping. I had a list of areas I had been wanting to take a look at since last season. I've been out with boots on the ground close to 30 days so far. I can't even count how many hours cyber scouting on the computer. I started a hunting journal this year just to help me keep track of my scouting. This is the first year I've even taken pictures of any of my scouting findings. Also the first year I've even documented my bed & stand locations on Google earth pro. Which gives me a much better overview of all the areas. In the past it has always been by memory. I'm glad I did because I've found a whole bunch of new areas to hunt. I've probably almost tripled my stand locations from last year. And I'm thinking most of them are better than what I hunted last year. I have high hopes for this upcoming season!

I also totally stealth stripped (removed the paracord) stand to match my sticks this year. I also got a new sight for my bow. I also picked up another trail camera.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:31 pm

Right now I'm working. Gotta pay to play!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”