Another Beast Article this time JoeRE

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Clink

Re: Another Beast Article this time JoeRE

Unread postby Clink » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks Joe. I'm going to use your groundhunting tactics this season for sure!

mainebowhunter wrote:Good stuff on trail cam use. Hopefully this is not hijacking the thread. My trail cam data is what pushed me more and more into bed hunting.

Think anyone that has used cameras for awhile have found them to be kind of ineffective for the most part in patterning a buck in a day to day pattern. Yet where I live, guys keep TRYING to do the same thing with no success. Now in certain areas, guys talk about it a bunch. Bill Winke has a theory that you don't start hunting a buck until you get trail cam pics of him doing something that is huntable. But where I live, trying to kill a buck by patterning him on a camera...I have done it...but its pretty ineffective. If I were to wait until that bucks showed up multiple times in daylight...well, I might as well hang it up and sit home.

The problem is...for most guys, using a camera to develop patterns from year to year just flat out takes time. And many guys that are just starting into the trail camera game, its going to take time to figure out. For example, 4 or 5 cameras, strategically placed is not going to get me as much data in Maine as it is in KS.

Believe it or not...there is a learning curve to using the cellphone cams. 2016, never figured out till the end of the year how to keep them from chewing batteries. Lets face it, a camera that lasts for 2 weeks, not real effective. I will say this, when I am traveling, during the rut, cameras really proved themselves a big help. It gave real time data on what the deer were doing. Not so much for pattern purposes, but we instantly knew when the bigger bucks were coming off lockdown. The day we started seeing them on camera is the day we started seeing them from stand.

Great add in maine... Last year I experienced the same thing in Maine and it got me thinking that I needed to hunt differently than everyone else. Plenty of good bucks on camera at the camp, especially bow season before the state gets hit hard November firearm. Instead of coming to the relaization that 95% of the bucks on cam were'nt going to visit those spots in daylight and that hunting tactics needed to change, the guys at camp choose to play the slim odds that one of those bucks will make the mistake of showing themselves during shooting hours. And every year it leads to zero results. It was'nt till I found the beast that I relaized bed hunting was the way to combat these nocturnal bucks that barely move in daylight hours.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:40 am

Yes Maine and Clink, good posts...cams are a very powerful tool, just in reality there is a pretty big learning curve of how to use them to help hunt a buck down.

One other challenge with cameras...those pictures get addicting. I feel it too, everybody does. That in itself is a problem if your goal is killing a buck. I suspect a lot of hunters make getting those pictures a higher priority than killing the animal. If that's what you INTEND to do, it is absolutely fine, but most probably aren't even conscious they are doing that. I just hear comments suggesting that is happening all the time.

With cameras, I think you need to pick your top priority and build strategy off of that.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:57 am

I'm one of those older guys who have not really embraced the camera craze. I have a couple, I put them out every year with limited success. I usually just put them in travel areas & specific trails. I have rarely had a mature buck on camera. And usually go into the season not knowing exactly what quality bucks I have in an area. I'm just rely on my pre-season scouting mostly tracks & rubs to carry me thru my season. And I adjust spots accordingly to fresh sign I'm finding.

Sometimes I feel like the odd man out that I don't have a target list of bucks that I'm pursuing. What is my best way to start having my cameras "help" me be more successful?

PS: Most of the areas I scouted and am hunting are brand new to me this year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 am

Good read and and joe :clap:

2 stone cold killers getting together on that one
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:36 pm

tgreeno wrote: Sometimes I feel like the odd man out that I don't have a target list of bucks that I'm pursuing. What is my best way to start having my cameras "help" me be more successful?

Well, I think the single most beneficial way a person can use cameras is put them really good spots to observe natural deer movement and let them soak for a long time. Mainly entry routes into bedding and rut cruising routes. For instance, I like to put a camera observing a bedding location September-October and then move it to a rut travel route for the month of November. Hang them high and far back to minimize impact, don't worry about getting great looking photos just good enough to tell what is there.

Look at when and where you get bucks on camera and just as important when you DON'T get deer on cam. There are reasons for everything. Do not hunt around them or check them in between times that will just affect what you see on camera so put them in spots you probably won't get around to hunting.

Its a long term project, I have been doing that since 2013 and only in the last couple years am starting to understand a lot of trends - for instance the thread I did a while back about bucks bedding in scrapes, and also the info I posted about annual rut movement patterns. Also after doing that a couple years, if you do see a nice buck you want to go after while hunting or scouting or whatever, you can refer back to past year's intel to see if there are any habits you can jump on.

This way you don't need to spend a lot of time on the cameras or let them distract you during the season - two things that a lot of guys seem to get tripped up by.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:04 am

JoeRE wrote:
tgreeno wrote: Sometimes I feel like the odd man out that I don't have a target list of bucks that I'm pursuing. What is my best way to start having my cameras "help" me be more successful?

Well, I think the single most beneficial way a person can use cameras is put them really good spots to observe natural deer movement and let them soak for a long time. Mainly entry routes into bedding and rut cruising routes. For instance, I like to put a camera observing a bedding location September-October and then move it to a rut travel route for the month of November. Hang them high and far back to minimize impact, don't worry about getting great looking photos just good enough to tell what is there.

Look at when and where you get bucks on camera and just as important when you DON'T get deer on cam. There are reasons for everything. Do not hunt around them or check them in between times that will just affect what you see on camera so put them in spots you probably won't get around to hunting.

Its a long term project, I have been doing that since 2013 and only in the last couple years am starting to understand a lot of trends - for instance the thread I did a while back about bucks bedding in scrapes, and also the info I posted about annual rut movement patterns. Also after doing that a couple years, if you do see a nice buck you want to go after while hunting or scouting or whatever, you can refer back to past year's intel to see if there are any habits you can jump on.

This way you don't need to spend a lot of time on the cameras or let them distract you during the season - two things that a lot of guys seem to get tripped up by.

Great info Joe...Thanks! Most of the areas I'll be hunting this year are brand new to me. So I've got a steep learning curve on my hands anyway!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:49 am

Excellent article !

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”