Your Mobile Setup for the 2016 Season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Nelson87
500 Club

Re: Your Mobile Setup for the 2016 Season

Unread postby Nelson87 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:48 am

BA-IV wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:In an attempt to become more mobile, I sold my climber and bought a muddy vantage and muddy sticks. I've used it 3 seasons now. This off season my goal was to modify and fine tune it a bit, and to that end I ditched the super mount bracket for a lone wolf batwing, eliminated some extra straps on the molle pack straps, wrapped the seat post, installed stick talons, and am working on wrapping the outside rail with paracord.

I only tried the stick talons once so far. I need to work on not clanging the stick on the platform when I pop it out, but otherwise they work great. I have the 20 inch sticks so the stick talons are close together. Longer sticks would possibly be easier to remove, but I like the rope system and dual steps on the muddys. I hang my bottom step high and use an aider to gain a couple more feet.

How many muddy pro sticks are you packing in, and how high are you getting on average?

I use 4 sticks and with the aider it's right around 16 ft.- probably not more than that. My aider is just a safety belt off of a cheap harness that came with a stand. I loop it around the bottom step and with the buckle on the bottom it holds it spread open. There are times when more height would be nice, but for me in most cases it's high enough.

Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:52 am

The stick talons and stealth strips are the bomb. Image

I went with the tire tubing to silence my buckles. Image

Like some here, I am going to give the tree saddle a go on the longer walks. Much like Dewey mentioned.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:53 am

Assault with anywhere from 2-4 sticks with aiders is my go to (I need to get back up with cbigbear to get some talons just been busy), I also have a M100u I'll take if I'm planning a longer hunt. The M100 is nice and comfortable but more of a pain to set up.

I made a saddle out of a sit/drag too so I may fiddle with that a little. I've got some spurs and just ordered some Stepp Ladders to use for a platform. I'd like to have the saddle as a tool, but I'm not sold on it yet will have to see how it works out. I also have a repelling set-up with 35' of 9mm rope and a mini 8, its pretty slick to climb up with spurs then just repel down. Going to see how practical it actually is in a hunting situation this year!
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:29 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:In an attempt to become more mobile, I sold my climber and bought a muddy vantage and muddy sticks. I've used it 3 seasons now. This off season my goal was to modify and fine tune it a bit, and to that end I ditched the super mount bracket for a lone wolf batwing, eliminated some extra straps on the molle pack straps, wrapped the seat post, installed stick talons, and am working on wrapping the outside rail with paracord.

I only tried the stick talons once so far. I need to work on not clanging the stick on the platform when I pop it out, but otherwise they work great. I have the 20 inch sticks so the stick talons are close together. Longer sticks would possibly be easier to remove, but I like the rope system and dual steps on the muddys. I hang my bottom step high and use an aider to gain a couple more feet.

this is the excact same setup i got, even the batwing but thats recently added. have you had much prolem with the batwing? i havent got any practice with my batwing yet, but plan to soon. i like the use of the muddy sticks,the rope cams make it simple to use. but i think im gonna break down and go with the lonewolf sticks,to take out some of the extra work of handing a extra two sticks, to make me faster and a lil more lighter. i think id like those stick talens as well,may try some. i made some plastic foam covers for my sticks to set in, that made my sticks alot quieter and easier to remove from the stand.
so maybe my final setup will end being a muddy advantage with batwing and 3 lw sticks and maybe 1 or 2 muddy sticks for extra hieght or get a awakward place and need a smaller step. either that or wait for dans new setup to hit the market :P

I've only done a couple of practice runs since I installed the batwing but I had no problems with it. If you're like me and used to just hanging the stand on the bracket and throwing a strap around the bottom, make sure you cam lock it. I think that's what it's called. Once you step onto the stand, kneel on the seat and lift the platform with your foot which lets the v-bracket slide down the tree. Then when you step onto the platform the stand is locked on really well.

I'm also interested in seeing Dan's stand hit the market. My muddy is comfortable enough for long sits, but it's advertised weight is 13 lbs, Dan's stand would be way lighter. I would have to bribe santa and come up with a good reason why I need two mobile setups. :lol:
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:40 pm

A crazy amount of attention to detail on setup Nocturnal...Super impressive!
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:11 pm

BA-IV wrote:A crazy amount of attention to detail on setup Nocturnal...Super impressive!

Thanks... Lots of guys here have done the same with their gear.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:20 pm

burkhart wrote:
Nocturnal wrote:
BA-IV wrote:A crazy amount of attention to detail on setup Nocturnal...Super impressive!

Thanks... Lots of guys here have done the same with their gear.

Like orange and black weave :clap:

I like to keep things fancy! :lol:
Johnboy

Unread postby Johnboy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:57 am

My new set up for 2017 is a tree saddle system with a Petzl Corax rock climbing harness in combination with modified sit drag with 26-28 inch amsteel bridge, XOP seat as my platform to stand on, 9mm static rappel line with Ropeman ascender and Lifeguard descender. I also use one XOP climbing stick cut down to 22 inches with three step aider. Super lite weight setup. Like I said in my earlier mobile treestand weight post, I had to lighten up my setup and this has done it.,
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:52 am

I am using an original trophyline tree saddle that I modified a bit to shed some weight and 3 lone wolf sticks with a rope loop off each stick, top one has a T bar foot rest. I think its something I will stick with for a while. There are undoubtedly incremental improvements I could make but it does what it is supposed to, and that's all that matters to me.

My MOST mobile setup though just requires a pair of boots and a foam seat pad clipped to my belt. On the ground ;)

Clink wrote:So how should I form my decision on buying sticks? Seems like everyone has their favorite and its XOP, Lone wolf, and Muddy.

I have heard good things about Helium sticks too. So basically 4 choices. If you can find someone with them, or a store that has each, easiest way to decide is lay hands on them if you can and handle them. I don't think one hunter could tell another hunter which of those 4 is best.
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:38 am

tgreeno wrote:Same set-up for me as the last 3 1/2 years, Hawk Helium XL & Leverage sticks. I did remove the paracord from the stand and completely stealth strip it after the season last year. If it ain't broke don't fix it! I will be adding a Ropeman Accender 1 to my lineman's belt this year. I did get a new fanny pack for Christmas also.

How many Leverage sticks do you use? Never heard of them. Just looked them up.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:45 am

Clink wrote:
tgreeno wrote:Same set-up for me as the last 3 1/2 years, Hawk Helium XL & Leverage sticks. I did remove the paracord from the stand and completely stealth strip it after the season last year. If it ain't broke don't fix it! I will be adding a Ropeman Accender 1 to my lineman's belt this year. I did get a new fanny pack for Christmas also.

How many Leverage sticks do you use? Never heard of them. Just looked them up.

3 long ones with aiders
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Putt4Doe

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:30 am

I've been using a saddle for years. It's hard to get away from the mobility, light weight, and comfort they provide. The last couple years I've been using the new tribe aerohunter, and really like it. The only downside that I see to the saddle is the fact that its hard to shoot to your right hand side (as a righty) without practice, and sometimes there's some more movement.

I'm trying the alpha as well this year since I'm so used to the LW sticks, but I worry the weight and size of the stand will feel very cumbersome to my saddle.
D-Stew

Unread postby D-Stew » Tue May 02, 2017 6:13 am

I've been using the XOP hangon and XOP sticks the last couple of years and really liked them. I've been thinking about trying out the Stepp Ladder system for this upcoming season though? Does anyone have experience with these steps? I think they have a lot of potential, especially if you pair them with an aider; however, one thing that I'm nervous about is the "clang" when you roll the step over to lock it in. Anyone with some experience and thoughts, I'd love to hear what you think.
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Sat May 13, 2017 3:57 am

D-Stew wrote:I've been using the XOP hangon and XOP sticks the last couple of years and really liked them. I've been thinking about trying out the Stepp Ladder system for this upcoming season though? Does anyone have experience with these steps? I think they have a lot of potential, especially if you pair them with an aider; however, one thing that I'm nervous about is the "clang" when you roll the step over to lock it in. Anyone with some experience and thoughts, I'd love to hear what you think.

Checkout saddlehunter.com forum. There is a 10 page review on them there with the owner chiming in too. I still think the sticks are the way to go
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat May 13, 2017 4:28 am

Waymore wrote:
D-Stew wrote:I've been using the XOP hangon and XOP sticks the last couple of years and really liked them. I've been thinking about trying out the Stepp Ladder system for this upcoming season though? Does anyone have experience with these steps? I think they have a lot of potential, especially if you pair them with an aider; however, one thing that I'm nervous about is the "clang" when you roll the step over to lock it in. Anyone with some experience and thoughts, I'd love to hear what you think.

Checkout saddlehunter.com forum. There is a 10 page review on them there with the owner chiming in too. I still think the sticks are the way to go

Here is my experience & take on these single step climbing systems compared to sticks.

For me the most difficult part of getting up the tree is actually strapping the stick to the tree and locking it on. Fortunately I only have to do it 4 times to equal 12 steps. So I get 3 steps for every strap I have to cinch-up. With these single step systems you have to cinch-on 12 individual steps. Which is way more work for me. And then when your packing up in the dark you have to stow away 12 individual steps, instead of only 4 sticks. To me the fewer moving parts the better!

Just my $.02 worth
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”