The wind tunnel

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jakebird

The wind tunnel

Unread postby Jakebird » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:38 pm

Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum and have watched a couple of Dan's dvd's, and had never heard of the wind tunnel, but it makes perfect sense
but I have a question about how the wind works over the terrain, here I Pa you have a mountain side and then have several ridge down wind of that mountain
so with a wind out of west would create a wind tunnel on the down wind side of the mountain and the ridges???

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: The wind tunnel

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:07 pm

Jakebird wrote:Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum and have watched a couple of Dan's dvd's, and had never heard of the wind tunnel, but it makes perfect sense
but I have a question about how the wind works over the terrain, here I Pa you have a mountain side and then have several ridge down wind of that mountain
so with a wind out of west would create a wind tunnel on the down wind side of the mountain and the ridges???

Not on all ridges.. If its a blocked ridge it won't... Sometimes in mountain type terrain you need an off wind blowing the side of the mountain creating small bedding areas around knobs on the leeward side of the nob, or rock outcropping... Sometimes they bed based on transitions like flat ground too...
Jakebird

Unread postby Jakebird » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:39 pm

Thanks Dan
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:20 am

dan wrote:
Jakebird wrote:Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum and have watched a couple of Dan's dvd's, and had never heard of the wind tunnel, but it makes perfect sense

Not on all ridges.. If its a blocked ridge it won't... Sometimes in mountain type terrain you need an off wind blowing the side of the mountain creating small bedding areas around knobs on the leeward side of the nob, or rock outcropping... Sometimes they bed based on transitions like flat ground too...

What do you mean by blocked ridge?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:27 am

Secondary ridges on a mountain that are lower and not getting hit by the leeward wind cause that is much higher
Jakebird

Unread postby Jakebird » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:21 am

So with the ridges being lower, does the thermals dictate most of the wind direction, also say the top of the mountain it pretty much
featureless, no points or saddles, but 600 feet lower has a ton of benchs and points, would the deer still bed off those points?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:10 am

Jakebird wrote:So with the ridges being lower, does the thermals dictate most of the wind direction, also say the top of the mountain it pretty much
featureless, no points or saddles, but 600 feet lower has a ton of benchs and points, would the deer still bed off those points?

I would look at the benches and points and figure out how there using them with the wind currents available.
Jakebird

Unread postby Jakebird » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:44 am

Thank you for your input Dan.
Perryhunter4

Unread postby Perryhunter4 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:50 am

Walk that entire secondary ridge (aka bench) and check the points and saddles. If it's still much higher than the low ground (small creek bottom/flat), they would certainly still bed there. Look at the prevaling wind that day, and take milkweed or wind checker with you and see what the wind is actually doing on that bench (probably not the same as prevailing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”