Carcas Disposal

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Carcas Disposal

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:18 am

I wonder how the greater majority are disposing of their carcasses. I've always been a proponent of returning the carcass to the land from where I took the deer from, but there are circumstances that make it difficult or impossible. Some worry that disposing of a fresh carcass after butchering back to the land they deer hunt will attract greater numbers of coyotes to their immediate hunting area and avoid that option. Others bag quartered parts and throw them in the trash, but what of those warmer September early season days? Some may avoid throwing parts away because of the rot and odor, others may avoid this for more organic reasons, such as the consideration you would not throw away an animal you respect, and so on. I've seen plenty of carcasses dumped in ditches, or left out in fields, too.

So what do you do, assuming it's legal where you reside?

Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
hunter_mike

Re: Carcas Disposal

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:48 am

WI has pretty strict and (from some perspectives impractical) rules for disposal.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:58 am

Whatever you do, DO NOT RECYCLE A CARCASS. I toured the recycling facility last month for milwaukee and waukesha county, and they get at least a dozen a week during bow season, and up to a hundred daily during gun season. They need to be pulled out by hand, and they only have a second or two to do so since the conveyor belts move ridiculously fast. Whoever thinks you should recycle a deer carcass needs their head checked.

If it was legal, I would rather dump it out in the woods to give back to nature. Yotes and wolves gotta eat and I would prefer if they ate an already dead deer. Same with fish waste. But I get why it is illegal.

I put mine in the trash. Landfills are equipped to handle just about anything you could throw at them. The liner system is unreal on those things. Nothing gets in or out. The landfill by my house actually wants people to trash more organics. They make more money when they sell the methane gas to MMSD, although meat and bones really doesn't make much methane compared to other things. If it is hot out and your garbage is picked up manually and not with the newer robotic trucks, give the workers something cold to drink if the carcass smells. Those guys have a rough job

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/disposal.html
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:15 am

Real simple. I have extra freezers so I just bag up the carcass and freeze it till trash day. Load it in my garbage bin just before pick up time on Thursday morning and it's done.

Freezing works great if you have the space. Mine are likely still frozen when they reach the landfill. No more smelling a rotting carcass that has been sitting around a few days in warm weather. Hard to get rid of that smell. I'm sure my garbage man appreciates that as well.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:59 am

I bag it and then throw it in the garbage bin.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:20 am

Bag it and throw it in the neighbors garbage bin ;) :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:01 am

My friends let me throw what's left on their property. Usually gone in a few weeks.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:07 am

From WI DNR:

Carcass disposal

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) can be spread among deer by both direct contact between animals and exposure to environments contaminated with CWD prions, the protein that causes the disease. Exposure to an area where a CWD-positive carcass has decomposed could be enough to cause infection in deer. Because of this risk, it is important that the carcasses of deer possibly infected with CWD, including all bones and other waste from butchering, be disposed of in a way that protects uninfected deer from exposure. While there are some disposal methods that destroy prions, such as incineration at 1800° F or digestion in sodium hydroxide, these methods are cost-prohibitive and not practical for most people.

Recommendations for hunters

The following, in order of efficacy and practicality, are the recommended options that hunters should use when disposing of deer-carcass waste.

The preferred option available is disposal in a landfill that accepts deer waste. Landfills are a safe and cost-effective option for disposing of carcass waste potentially contaminated with CWD-causing prions. Landfill disposal establishes a barrier between uninfected deer and deer-carcass waste that potentially contains infectious CWD material. Scientific research has shown that when properly disposed of in a landfill, prions are extremely unlikely to migrate from the landfill disposal site. For most people, disposal in a landfill would be accomplished either by taking that waste directly to the landfill or through their regular trash pick-up service.

While landfilling is preferred, another option is to bury the carcass waste. It should be buried deep enough to prevent scavengers from digging it back up. This method effectively removes the waste from the open environment and, again, places a barrier between uninfected deer and the source of infection.

Finally, as a last resort, and only on their own land, hunters can put their deer-carcass waste back on the landscape. This should be done as close to where the deer was harvested as possible and within the CWD-affected area or an adjacent county. Persons using this option should also, if possible, put the carcass waste in a location where other deer and scavengers are unlikely to encounter it. At no time should the head, spine or other restricted portions of deer harvested within a CWD-affected county be moved or disposed of outside of the CWD-affected area or an adjacent county.

As a reminder, it is illegal to dispose of waste on any public lands or road right-of-ways. As in the rest of the state, field dressing a deer and leaving the gut pile on site on public or private land is still permitted. Although gut piles pose a risk of transmitting CWD, evidence indicates that the risk is minimal due to their short persistence time on the landscape due to high rates of scavenging.
JShea

Unread postby JShea » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:14 am

I drive to our old stone quarry and dump the hide, head and spine. I freeze all the other bones and let the dogs eat them up.
The parts i dump are gone in 2 days to a week..no trace. We have bear and coyote in the area this stuff is long gone.
mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:59 am

Put it out for the garbage man.
Let's go Brandon!
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:49 am

Out with the trash or the butcher shop disposes of it. It is nit legal to dump caracsses on public land or private land without express permission from the land owner. As has been said, putting it back out in the woods is not really a good idea because of CWD.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:14 am

Bagged and out with the trash...
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:28 am

My buddy traps coyotes. He gets them.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:57 am

tgreeno wrote:Bag it and throw it in the neighbors garbage bin ;) :D

:lol: :lol: I have seen/smelled that one a few times.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:31 pm

I have a co worker who always wants a deer carcass and hide for his dogs to chew on. I cut the carcass into small enough pieces to fit in a garbage bag. I usually just try to give them to him first. If I don't give them to him I throw them in either my garbage or a nearby dumpster depending on heat, smell, and days until garbage day.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”