Discussion: the shared land pressure aspect

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Re: Discussion: the shared land pressure aspect

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:09 am

My best, and hardest lesson learned from last year. Lots of deer where I hunted, but crazy pressure also. Absolutely loved the place. Had everything you want, hills, crops, water, acorns cover....Only reason to go back is for a bed overlooking parking, thats one or two sits...the comments before me were absolutely correct. Determine if the buck is holed up or just passing through and choose accordingly...time is right to look for more areas and opportunities...Good luck

Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:31 am

Every place I hunt I have no control over other hunters and they are all pressured. I deal with it by going the extra mile. I try to scout harder and spend more time putting thought into my setups and hunts. I try to use other hunters mistakes to my advantage. I noticed over the years that most hunters on public don't worry about approach to their stand, they have no idea where deer bed, they hunt the same spots over and over, they are predictable, they will set up right over the first good buck sign close to parking etc etc

Back in my younger days when I found a good buck I wanted to hunt further back in public I would walk the trail from the parking lot and make scrapes and big rubs all over the place in a small area. There would be stands set up over that fake sign after the first week. These spots were random, I don't do that anymore and looking back that probably was not right to do but it proved to me that most hunters are lazy.
Aim small miss small
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:25 am

Where I hunt, a lot of the spots talked about on here already has a stand. Islands, points, transitions from hardwoods to swamp, funnels etc. I have to hunt those hidey holes with thick brush and small trees to be in the game most of the time.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:28 am

mike perry wrote:Every place I hunt I have no control over other hunters and they are all pressured. I deal with it by going the extra mile. I try to scout harder and spend more time putting thought into my setups and hunts. I try to use other hunters mistakes to my advantage. I noticed over the years that most hunters on public don't worry about approach to their stand, they have no idea where deer bed, they hunt the same spots over and over, they are predictable, they will set up right over the first good buck sign close to parking etc etc

Back in my younger days when I found a good buck I wanted to hunt further back in public I would walk the trail from the parking lot and make scrapes and big rubs all over the place in a small area. There would be stands set up over that fake sign after the first week. These spots were random, I don't do that anymore and looking back that probably was not right to do but it proved to me that most hunters are lazy.

And the craziest part its seems most never wonder "why" they were not successful. :think:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:28 am

Back in my younger days when I found a good buck I wanted to hunt further back in public I would walk the trail from the parking lot and make scrapes and big rubs all over the place in a small area. There would be stands set up over that fake sign after the first week. These spots were random, I don't do that anymore and looking back that probably was not right to do but it proved to me that most hunters are lazy.[/quote]

I've thought about doing it but never could. I've seen guys hang dummie stands all around an area to keep people out of a certain swamp. When I went to Newfoundland caribou hunting I brought back a big hoove. I was gonna make big tracks in areas to fool guys. Lol.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:56 am

All great points. Hardest thing I am learning currently is how to know if a good buck lives in my piece, how often or does he just use it to get places. Trail cams have been handy but don't give the whole story. On the other hand scouting has given me the sign but like others have said. There seems to be many stands hung in the trees these days

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”