Mobile treestand weight

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Johnboy

Re: Mobile treestand weight

Unread postby Johnboy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:19 am

flinginairos wrote:
H2archer wrote:
burkhart wrote:
H2archer wrote:
cbigbear wrote:22lbs

Old Assault with an XOP Maximus seat platform & cushion. Also has a Molle waist belt. 3 helium sticks cut to 22" with rope mods. The stand & sticks have enough silencing material to quiet an elephant fart - lots of paracord, stealth strip, & tubular webbing.

WOuld love to see the stick mods you did to those heliums... Wife got me a set for christmas and they're great for climbing but the buckles/hooks just make too much noise.

Check the diy threads all kinds of good ideas in there.. Also Davet has a few good videos on YouTube about this as well

Shout out to Davet

I dug up that thread and the videos on YouTube. great stuff and now I've got an itch to try a saddle...

You should! Took me awhile to convince myself to try saddle hunting but now three years fully committed to the saddle I can't see myself ever using a regular stand again. I sold every one of my old stands :shock:

I'm definitely looking to cut some weight and the saddles look to be a way to do that. I have never hunted in one. I got a couple of questions: How easy is it to put on more clothes or even get into a heater body suit? Do you use one stick method to climb up tree? What kind of strain is on your thigh area of leg and knees?

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:30 am

Millenium M100U + 15 ft climbing stick + straps = ~30#

Not too bad.

Used to use a game cart to carry my stand (old metal climber weighed over 30#) the first 2 miles in on a road, went the rest 1/4 to 1/2 mile with it on my back. That way had cart in case I got something.

Never did cause I was walking upwind of the doe bedding area on my way in. Also tried going around an even longer route a couple times to outsmart the does - musta walked thru the buck's bedding area cause I never saw anything when I went that way.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:57 am

Rich M wrote:
Used to use a game cart to carry my stand (old metal climber weighed over 30#) the first 2 miles in on a road, went the rest 1/4 to 1/2 mile with it on my back. That way had cart in case I got something.

I have thought about picking up the Sherpa kit and doing that but I thought that it would be a pain and I wouldn't stick with it.

Do you still carry your gear that way? If not, why did you stop.

http://sherpahunting.com/summit_model.html

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:26 am

I stopped hunting out there - 3 yrs and not a single buck sighting (bucks only - romp & stomp kind of public land with lots of pressure - 2.5 hr drive each way.) Side note, I have a 10 ft ladder I put wheels on and use occasionally - pretty sure it is rattly, squeaky & noisy tho. I just can't hear it.

The Sherpa kit looks perfect for that type of application. You just need to find a good place to cable/chain that puppy up or figure how to carry it with you w/o making noise.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:53 am

Johnboy wrote:
flinginairos wrote:
H2archer wrote:
burkhart wrote:
H2archer wrote:
cbigbear wrote:22lbs

Old Assault with an XOP Maximus seat platform & cushion. Also has a Molle waist belt. 3 helium sticks cut to 22" with rope mods. The stand & sticks have enough silencing material to quiet an elephant fart - lots of paracord, stealth strip, & tubular webbing.

WOuld love to see the stick mods you did to those heliums... Wife got me a set for christmas and they're great for climbing but the buckles/hooks just make too much noise.

Check the diy threads all kinds of good ideas in there.. Also Davet has a few good videos on YouTube about this as well

Shout out to Davet

I dug up that thread and the videos on YouTube. great stuff and now I've got an itch to try a saddle...

You should! Took me awhile to convince myself to try saddle hunting but now three years fully committed to the saddle I can't see myself ever using a regular stand again. I sold every one of my old stands :shock:

I'm definitely looking to cut some weight and the saddles look to be a way to do that. I have never hunted in one. I got a couple of questions: How easy is it to put on more clothes or even get into a heater body suit? Do you use one stick method to climb up tree? What kind of strain is on your thigh area of leg and knees?

With a setup like mine it's very easy to add layers. Never been a problem for me. I do use the one stick method sometimes but mainly use climbing spikes and also preset sticks in some spots. As far as strain/discomfort, it largely depends on how you set up. If you set your tether too high you can get some hip pinch but that is usually fixed with a lower hookup height. I switch off between leaning back in the saddle and putting my knees in the tree so I never really get uncomfortable but on an all day sit my legs will get tired toward the end of the day. Having a good platform to stand on really helps with that.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Can you guys drill trees in your neck of the woods?? I take a millinium m100 and a peckerwood drill with 12 grade 8 bolts. It's light as a feather and I just drill my tree when I get to it. It's a super Mobile set up.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:26 pm

GoInLight wrote:Can you guys drill trees in your neck of the woods?? I take a millinium m100 and a peckerwood drill with 12 grade 8 bolts. It's light as a feather and I just drill my tree when I get to it. It's a super Mobile set up.

Almost always illegal in Wisconsin where I have checked. I know one county where it's legal, but stands and steps need to come out daily
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Jonny wrote:
GoInLight wrote:Can you guys drill trees in your neck of the woods?? I take a millinium m100 and a peckerwood drill with 12 grade 8 bolts. It's light as a feather and I just drill my tree when I get to it. It's a super Mobile set up.

Almost always illegal in Wisconsin where I have checked. I know one county where it's legal, but stands and steps need to come out daily

Same here in Alabama on public land. I never really leave my stand and it's a great way to stay Mobile where legal. When I'm not using the bolts I use muddy sticks, but I think I might try a tree saddle or maybe lone wolf hang on.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:45 pm

GoInLight wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Same here in Alabama on public land. I never really leave my stand and it's a great way to stay Mobile where legal. When I'm not using the bolts I use muddy sticks, but I think I might try a tree saddle or maybe lone wolf hang on.

Yeah a drill is definitely a good way to stay mobile. A lone wolf hang on will get you into nastier trees than your millenium will since it has leveling capabilities where the millenium I believe does not. Plus the batwing on a lone wolf is worth its weight in gold as well
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:36 pm

Lone wolf Alpha with new seat 16 pounds.
4 lone wolf sticks 10 pounds
Fanny pack 8 pounds
Bow 4 pounds Bowtech

38 pounds or so carry in.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Johnboy

Unread postby Johnboy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:52 am

Its good to see some beast treestand weights and varieties of different setups. It's given me some ideas on being more efficient and not being limited to just one setup all year.
Johnboy

Unread postby Johnboy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:54 am

Forgot to ask earlier in the post if anyone has ever used or is using a Northstarr climbing stand?
Groundpounder

Unread postby Groundpounder » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:23 am

Finished my cf platform and seat last fall but haven't had a chance to hunt out of it yet. Designed it so it can double as a pack frame. Comes in around 4lbs. Fun to research & build. hopefully I can adjust quickly to hunting from a tree and get a chance to load it with meat a few times this season.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:14 am

Not legal to put any screws or nails into trees on public in FL. We used to use lag bolts and screw in steps when hunting private property and then even the private property started asking us not to do that.

I had thought it was pretty much illegal everywhere...

There used to be a company that had strap on steps - L shaped steps as opposed to what we have now. They worked well, I never owned any - buddy in NY does.
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:49 am

I'm either using my lonewolf climber or a lonewolf hang on and xop sticks, not sure what they weigh but on those all day rut sits with added food and a drink it's too much, especially on the walk out!
Aim small miss small

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”