Odd little things to improve your hunt.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Odd little things to improve your hunt.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:45 am

Just wanted to make a list of some of the little things to improve your setups and hunts.

The trees i pick out to sit i mark the exact tree take a photograph of my tree. Put a single tack on it. Climb it with 4 lone wolf sticks. Use a flexible ruler to measure tree diamiter for each stick and stand.

This way when i enter my buckles are exactly 3 inches of extra slack. So it speeds up and my setup goes smooth.

I remove all sticks from my entry trail in off season within 200 yards of my tree.

I use my flexible ruler to also measure rub height and diamiter.

Keep a journal of each stand location amount of sticks to take in and stand position on the tree.
Winds entry hunting times animals seen ect.

Carry 2 pairs of gloves and 2 mini flashlights. Ive had flashlights die in the field once. And im always dropping a glove out of my tree.

So what things do you guys do?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Dan T

Re: Odd little things to improve your hunt.

Unread postby Dan T » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:03 am

The older get the more I appreciate the value of a good nights sleep! I also like to give myself plenty of time and not rush things. The more I make a point to do these two things the less mistakes and hasty decisions I make.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:14 am

Thats pretty cool Tennhunter! I never thought to do that...but I also haven't reached the point where I know exactly what's going on enough to pick out a single tree and know I'm going to kill from it. I'm getting close tho!

About the flashlight, one tip I have about that is buy one that has a lock out feature. I bought one, a Fenix, that you turn the cap 1/4 of a turn and it keeps it from accidentally turning on. Did this after having to walk a long way out in the dark in hill country when two flashlights both accidentally turned on in my pack

Some of my tips....staying warm...if I get cold I'm done. I've learned that if I have a long walk in, I wear thin cotton and still sweat, but changed at or close to my stand. More of a problem in the mornings. Also, hand warmers in the area of the kidneys keeps you warm.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:38 am

This is something I recently seen on a youtube video from a public land hunter in Wisconsin. Since we don't need to wear back tags anymore here in WI and our registration tags are printed on paper instead of plastic like in years past, the hunter uses his old back tag holder to put his tag into and pins the tag holder through the deer's ear to keep the tag dry and secure. Now thats a neat idea to make use of those back tag holders that are laying around. Im gonna do that this year.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:42 am

Crazinamatese wrote:This is something I recently seen on a youtube video from a public land hunter in Wisconsin. Since we don't need to wear back tags anymore here in WI and our registration tags are printed on paper instead of plastic like in years past, the hunter uses his old back tag holder to put his tag into and pins the tag holder through the deer's ear to keep the tag dry and secure. Now thats a neat idea to make use of those back tag holders that are laying around. Im gonna do that this year.

Great idea. I never thought of that. Probably because I was so overjoyed about finally being rid of backtag holders that I tossed them aside hoping to never see them again. :lol:

Not sure I would want to do that on a buck I want to mount though. A hole in the ear might be pretty visible especially if the tag catches on something and damages the ear. I would clip it on around the base of the antler.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:44 am

Good topic. One thing I like to do is go into a hunt feeling mentally sharp. If I know my kids are sick or the wife is unhappy on a particular day etc... it clouds my mind a bit and I lose focus when I'm in the stand. I like to make sure everything is good on the home front, so I can climb into my stand with a clear mind and really concentrate on whats going on around me. That's the big "little" thing that I like to do. . I'll also agree with Dan T. in that I hate rushing. I like to have a plan that allows me to slowly and methodically make my moves.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:47 am

Dewey wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:This is something I recently seen on a youtube video from a public land hunter in Wisconsin. Since we don't need to wear back tags anymore here in WI and our registration tags are printed on paper instead of plastic like in years past, the hunter uses his old back tag holder to put his tag into and pins the tag holder through the deer's ear to keep the tag dry and secure. Now thats a neat idea to make use of those back tag holders that are laying around. Im gonna do that this year.

Great idea. I never thought of that. Probably because I was so overjoyed about finally being rid of backtag holders that I tossed them aside hoping to never see them again. :lol:

Here is a pic of that idea...

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:00 am

Before my hunt, I always pull my knotted bow rope out of the pocket I jammed it into the night before. I untangle it. And re-spool it, so I don't have to un-knot it at the base of the tree. Reducing frustration!

And as always, Take My Time! And Observe while accessing & setting up! I hunted many year rushing to get in my stand. Missing sign and being louder than I needed to be.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:07 am

tgreeno wrote:Before my hunt, I always pull my knotted bow rope out of the pocket I jammed it into the night before. I untangle it. And re-spool it, so I don't have to un-knot it at the base of the tree. Reducing frustration!

And as always, Take My Time! And Observe while accessing & setting up! I hunted many year rushing to get in my stand. Missing sign and being louder than I needed to be.

here's a tip for that and you'll never tangle it again.....if using a rope like a paracord, start wrapping it around your thumb and pinky (spaced apart) in a figure 8. just keep going around and around in a figure 8 until done and it will never tangle again
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:22 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I use my flexible ruler to also measure rub height and diamiter.

I, like most hunters, have always just looked for the general how high the tree rub is and how big the tree/brush is. I have never heard of anyone doing this so I would be interested in hearing more about this. Specifically how you use this data and why you do it?

Dan T wrote:The older get the more I appreciate the value of a good nights sleep! I also like to give myself plenty of time and not rush things. The more I make a point to do these two things the less mistakes and hasty decisions I make.

This is so true and so key. The older I get the more it holds true for me.

I will add that silence is golden to the list.......

Go over your pack and your pockets to make sure that you don't click and clank as you go through the woods.

I take my paper harvest tag, put it in a sandwich bag, and use an electrical wire tie to attach it to the antler or leg of the deer. The only way that tag is coming off is with a knife or a pair of dykes.

I always carry a chem light to mark a down deer in the evening when I go out to get the cart. It makes I think easy to find and you can find a pack of 4 at the dollar store for a buck.

Bob
Last edited by Horizontal Hunter on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:26 am

checkerfred wrote:
tgreeno wrote:Before my hunt, I always pull my knotted bow rope out of the pocket I jammed it into the night before. I untangle it. And re-spool it, so I don't have to un-knot it at the base of the tree. Reducing frustration!

here's a tip for that and you'll never tangle it again.....if using a rope like a paracord, start wrapping it around your thumb and pinky (spaced apart) in a figure 8. just keep going around and around in a figure 8 until done and it will never tangle again

Was just going to suggest the same thing. 8-)
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:56 am

Morning hunts I go to bed early and get up early and eat a good breakfast.

Afternoon hunts I eat a good lunch beforehand.

I always carry a couple ibuprofen with me because those are worth their weight in gold sometimes.

If I feel like crap, I hunt like it. I feel good, I hunt good.

Oh and I always wear clean clothes. Nothing feels better than fresh clean clothes.

None of these "improve" my actual hunt. They improve my hunting experience
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:08 am

I think tall rubs are usually from 3-4 and half year olds.

The ruler can help tell me if that exact buck happened to rub a tree the same height further on a rub line. If that buck moves a mile because of pressure chances are i can use that rub height to refind him.

Tree diamiter doesn't really say much but i like comparing it to the other areas i hunt. Just has become something i do. I have been doing this for about a year.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Ladykiller

Unread postby Ladykiller » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:34 am

Smartphone! For all of the following reasons.

GPS my location to others for safety
Games
Texting
Weather (radar, wind, temperature, barometer, hour by hour updates)
Compass
Taking pictures
Clicker App (count critters)
Take notes
Flashlight
Moon phase
Calendar
Maps
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:43 am

I've always taken spare batteries for my headlamp. I always buy 2 lamps exactly the same. One stays in the pack for use going in or out in the dark. The other I used at the truck or around camp. Saves the batteries in the one for out in the field. Plus should you somehow break or lose the field one. You have a spare at the truck/camp. I also carry a small hand held. That uses the same size batteries. To me they work better for blood trailing. And acts as a field spare light also. Also always gets put back in the pack when done using.

Always tidied up my bow rope after use. Just never used the figure 8 method. I do now.

I had a pair of Bear Paws. They're a fleece and craft fur over boot made for sneakier stalking. I mainly used them while in a tree stand. Kept my rubber soled boots from squeaking if I slid my foot across the platform or cables even the other boot. Lou I do like Your stealth strips better now. Anybody use it on the top of your platform?

I fastened a small piece of carpet on the front middle of my stand. Across the space of the 2 front rails. I'll have to figure out how to do this on the Lone Wolf or XOP I see in my future. I'd place my bows cam on this so I could still hang on to my bow with my hand/s when I was standing. But not have to hold the weight of the bow. It not only keeps things quiet, but also protects the cam and cables/string. I've had bad luck with stand mounted bow holders so don't use them. I'm also paranoid about getting caught reaching for my bow on a tree mounted holder. Besides when the magic hour is upon me I want to be in direct contact with my bow. Also works with my recurves.

On a similar problem. I always had a bottom cam bow holder on my belt on my bow arm side. Kept my arm from getting tired while waiting for the animal to move into a position. While still allowing for my bow to be almost in shooting position. With recurves a low pocket on my left pants leg works. A longbow would just go on my boot. All this keeps you more relaxed for the shot. You think less about wishing the animal would hurry and get into a shooting position.

Where cutting shooting lanes is allowed. I always cut low to the ground with small trees. Then carry the tree or branch to a bush or thicket of similar looking trees/brush. Then stand them upright in the middle of it. Less obvious to the deer but mainly to other hunters. With branches I smear dirt/mud on the face of the cut to hide it until it weathers enough. Try to just break branches when you can. Broken branches are also less obvious than sawed ones. Just don't overdo it. Sometimes breaking or cutting one side of a trees roots is enough to make a lane. I like a small hatchet.Cut the opposite side of where you want it to lean. To get it out of the lane. Stomp an extra clod of dirt on the cut root side to help get it to stay. Course this is all done way before season starts.

I'm probably forgetting a bunch. I kinda only remember stuff when the circumstance arises again. Point is think on things hard and look for fixes.

Already thought of another one. I always keep my finger tab on my bow. Or should I say quiver. I push it over the vanes for on my compound. Sliding on until it drops under the clip before clipping the arrow back in. The one year I had to shoot a release it always went tight around the bow grip. If I'm not using a bow quiver it still goes on an arrow shaft in the quiver. Or put it so the strap of my armguard that always gets placed around my bow. Goes through the loop. This way you should never be caught without these pieces of equipment.

A big thing is have a place for everything. Always always put it away in the same place. That way on those rushed hunts you'll never be missing something. If I have the same exact items I use everyday or often in other phases of life. I always have my separate ones just for hunting. Put in it's proper place. Saves alot of time and headaches.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”