Post season scounting journey

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

maukings

Post season scounting journey

Unread postby maukings » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:24 pm

So after reviewing Dan's DVDs as well as John Eberhart's I felt determined to scout the proper way. Dan tells me to look for beds, John tells me to look for primary scrape areas first. Well, the piece of public that I hunt is huge. It's a mix of hill country with large ag fields.

I walked from 11 to 4:30 taking very little breaks. I think I covered less than a quarter of the property. I did spook 2 does and another deer.

Expectations: I expected clearer runways and overall sign. The dry leafs were everywhere and it made it extremely difficult to tell what's trail a bed, etc. I don't know if this is supposed to get better in march. I found a total of 12 beds. I'm pretty sure they were mostly doe beds because they were divided into two clusters. I couldn't find a buck bed. I looked at a lower elevation but nothing.Doe beds were all on the same elevation on two different points. This area wasn't particularly thick which allowed me to comb the area and take a better look.

I then moved to another ridge and it was very thick. My clothes kept getting caught. My question here, how can you possibly find a bed in terrain? I could see trails better because of the lack of brush but I couldn't see any beds. I hope Dan's DVD helps me figure this one out.

Also, I came across an area with lots of hinge cuts. They looked fairly recent. I don't know what DNR is up to.

Pics below

terrain is open here

First bed

Thick area. Brush everywhere

Hinge cuts, I don't know anything about them other than the name

Divergent
500 Club

Re: Post season scounting journey

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:28 pm

Looks like you're already onto them.

This is what I do in Big woods(public). Feel free to add or modify.
1)Note the hardest to access areas.
2)Choose points that coincide with the wind you're hunting
3)Choose points with sufficient cover(2 and 3 can be interchanged to provide quicker results.)
4)Walk the military crest. Cover will vary along this line, so key in on those edges that coincide with the crest. In my experiences deer prefer to bed within 5yds of the edge, so I wouldn't waste a lot of time deep in a thicket.

There's been plenty of times I haven't found a bed positioned where I would've expected it. Sometimes all you need to do is slow down for a minute and re-evaluate the scene. Look closer and listen to your gut. If it's telling you there should be a bed, then there is probably a bed.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:33 pm

Nice finds and pics! Keep lookimg they are somewhere. Is this the property you are scouting? - viewtopic.php?t=28435
Dans mark ups look solid, the property looks good. It s tough sometimes bc not all beds are that fresh and that easy to spot.
I agree w Divergent's points, that formula will get you onto bucks for sure. Use your mapping site to check suspected bedding during winter months. Anywhere that looks thick when there are no leaves is a great start. If others hunt the property, don't underestimate pressure.
The good news is you found the does and good groups. Note the wind when you bumped them, be ready to setup when the rut kick up.
As far as beds, until they really start shedding, its tough. Look for some type of back cover. Get on your knees and look for hair in dirt, it's there.
maukings

Unread postby maukings » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:12 am

Is this a primary scrape area or just critters moving around? It's a relatively open spot surrounded by good cover with a drainage ditch just north of it.

https://youtu.be/ztD-JvIcLy0
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:59 am

Maybe, looks more like scraping for old acorns than rut scrapes. Look for the large ones that have scat, tracks, licking branch and still active.
maukings

Unread postby maukings » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:47 am

A buddy suggested turkeys. I think he's right.
maukings

Unread postby maukings » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:Nice finds and pics! Keep lookimg they are somewhere. Is this the property you are scouting? - http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?t=28435
Dans mark ups look solid, the property looks good. It s tough sometimes bc not all beds are that fresh and that easy to spot.
I agree w Divergent's points, that formula will get you onto bucks for sure. Use your mapping site to check suspected bedding during winter months. Anywhere that looks thick when there are no leaves is a great start. If others hunt the property, don't underestimate pressure.
The good news is you found the does and good groups. Note the wind when you bumped them, be ready to setup when the rut kick up.
As far as beds, until they really start shedding, its tough. Look for some type of back cover. Get on your knees and look for hair in dirt, it's there.

The link you put there was for a different property. Thank one is not as hilly.

So, do you expects bedding above or below the military crest? Sometimes the crest is not as well defined. Sometimes there are double crests as the ridge drops, flatens and then drops again.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Don't forget to look for overlooked areas. Close to parking areas or close to the road. You might be surprised what you find. The places people tend to ignore maybe a hot spot next season. Any spot could be productive in the woods IMO if you figure out stealthy entry routes.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:12 pm

maukings wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:Nice finds and pics! Keep lookimg they are somewhere. Is this the property you are scouting? - http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?t=28435

So, do you expects bedding above or below the military crest? Sometimes the crest is not as well defined. Sometimes there are double crests as the ridge drops, flatens and then drops again.

I'm usually finding them along the crest. Most of the time they seem to be within yards of it as long as cover is sufficient etc. The more defined crest seems to always produce more beds for me. I also prefer round shaped points vs narrow pts. My theory is it might allow for more consistent and concentrated wind/thermal flow. I think the shape of these points might have more to do with bedding than other factors. The beds that are located lower seem to be either a N or NW wind bedding in my area of Alabama. This is because when our fronts pass thru, there are stronger winds coming out of the N/NW. They seem to drop down to get out of the wind. Most of my summer bedding finds are S wind based because that's the predominant wind. I also find these summer beds mostly along creeks and the lower sides of bluffs because that's where the cooler air tends to be located.

Another theory that I have is deer prefer the spurs or shorter length ridges over longer ridges. I find that a longer secondary point tends to have more traffic on it. A longer secondary point is almost like an exit on an interstate. You'll find all kinds of critters using them to get from point A to point B...including humans. A lot of these longer secondary points seem to have a good bit of sign because it's a high traffic area, but I wouldn't waste much time looking for beds here. I'd start looking at a down wind spur from these main routes.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Don't forget to look for overlooked areas. Close to parking areas or close to the road. You might be surprised what you find. The places people tend to ignore maybe a hot spot next season. Any spot could be productive in the woods IMO if you figure out stealthy entry routes.

I agree with the overlooked areas. Sometimes I think the most overlooked spots are along major highways. Everyone usually turns on to 50 different roads till to you're eventually walking down a pig trail. Try parking on the side of the major highway instead of turning onto a side road. It's an uneasy feeling to leave your vehicle in this type of area, but can definitely pay off. A good friend or wife to drop you off is even better. If you do decide to park then at least park across and down from where you expect to hunt.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Divergent wrote:Looks like you're already onto them.

3)Choose points with sufficient cover(2 and 3 can be interchanged to provide quicker results.)
4)Walk the military crest. Cover will vary along this line, so key in on those edges that coincide with the crest. In my experiences deer prefer to bed within 5yds of the edge, so I wouldn't waste a lot of time deep in a thicket.

There's been plenty of times I haven't found a bed positioned where I would've expected it. Sometimes all you need to do is slow down for a minute and re-evaluate the scene. Look closer and listen to your gut. If it's telling you there should be a bed, then there is probably a bed.

This is some good info....I've taught you well :lol:
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Divergent wrote:
maukings wrote:

I'm usually finding them along the crest. Most of the time they seem to be within yards of it as long as cover is sufficient etc. The more defined crest seems to always produce more beds for me. I also prefer round shaped points vs narrow pts. My theory is it might allow for more consistent and concentrated wind/thermal flow. I think the shape of these points might have more to do with bedding than other factors. The beds that are located lower seem to be either a N or NW wind bedding in my area of Alabama. This is because when our fronts pass thru, there are stronger winds coming out of the N/NW. They seem to drop down to get out of the wind. Most of my summer bedding finds are S wind based because that's the predominant wind. I also find these summer beds mostly along creeks and the lower sides of bluffs because that's where the cooler air tends to be located.

Another theory that I have is deer prefer the spurs or shorter length ridges over longer ridges. I find that a longer secondary point tends to have more traffic on it. A longer secondary point is almost like an exit on an interstate. You'll find all kinds of critters using them to get from point A to point B...including humans. A lot of these longer secondary points seem to have a good bit of sign because it's a high traffic area, but I wouldn't waste much time looking for beds here. I'd start looking at a down wind spur from these main routes.

I will add, Divergent mentioned smaller rounded points...Also check points that may barely stand out or not at all on a topo...you'll most likely have a bed there depending on the cover. Seems like the longer points have beds but they are used by doe groups....Those can be good rut spots too. Another thing I've found is in steeper terrain, and I mean terrain you have to almost crawl up, you'll find beds on the uphill side of trees or obstacles. On other hills, I always find some kind of cover on the back side (blowdown, thick brush, huge boulder etc.)
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:38 pm

checkerfred wrote:

^^True story. It's always good to scout with another beast. The ideas we've bounced back and forth have definitely opened up our eyes. I highly recommend scouting with other beast members. You definitely helped to get rid of the training wheels. Now you just have to keep up old man. :lol:
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Divergent wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

^^True story. It's always good to scout with another beast. The ideas we've bounced back and forth have definitely opened up our eyes. I highly recommend scouting with other beast members. You definitely helped to get rid of the training wheels. Now you just have to keep up old man. :lol:

LOL...except for: me: "hey I got an idea, lets check this area out" .... buddy: "no I don't like that" LOLOLOL :D :D :D for the record, there's probably a huge mature buck there too :lol:

it has helped though....I learned some stuff I wouldn't have thought about otherwise from bouncing back ideas and seeing what you'd do

Oh I can keep up too...if I don't get hit with kidney stone pain again :shock: then I'll be possibly laying down crying like a baby..won't lie
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:33 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Don't forget to look for overlooked areas. Close to parking areas or close to the road. You might be surprised what you find. The places people tend to ignore maybe a hot spot next season. Any spot could be productive in the woods IMO if you figure out stealthy entry routes.

Hey buddy, you got a cool profile pic! I gotta get one of those bear targets, not a bad price for a rhinehart

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”