getting to stand site in the a.m.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

1jody256
Facebook: jodypalmerrocketmail@yahoo.com

getting to stand site in the a.m.

Unread postby 1jody256 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:29 am

when going to stand sites(and leaving) in the dark does everyone just use gps, flashlights,trail markers,cannot see walking blindly as a very quiet way of getting to or from stands!also if using flashlights what color lens would be best?

the lazy do not roast any game,but the dilligent feed on the riches of the hunt
Jonny
500 Club

Re: getting to stand site in the a.m.

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:43 am

1jody256 wrote:when going to stand sites(and leaving) in the dark does everyone just use gps, flashlights,trail markers,cannot see walking blindly as a very quiet way of getting to or from stands!also if using flashlights what color lens would be best?

I use a handheld gps and a headlamp all the time in the dark. Stopped using trail markers after a scare of a stolen stand. Somebody turned it 180 degrees and put it a couple feet off the ground. Know plenty of people who have had stands stolen overnight cause they use markers or ribbon.

Best advice I can give, is plan a route into your stand where you are almost 100% you will not go near a deer. Use draws, logging trails, anything to get to where you are going and won't jump deer. Avoid walking through open hardwoods and fields cause that's where the deer will be feeding. Planning is everything because you don't want to use the same route a deer will take to get to you.

Don't worry about a colored lense. I call total bs on it making a difference. Wear a headlamp, have it on, and avoid somebody shooting you or walking into a tree. I used to walk without one, nearly broke my leg when I tripped over a log and fell into a blowdown, and also have walked up on a guy hunting after hours. Not worth it. That said, I prefer LED lights. The battery life is much better and they are brighter. Supposedly deer can't see LED lights, I don't know, don't really care.

Planning the right route is everything. And walking it once during the day helps tremendously. And walk slower than slow. Don't sound like a hunter walking in the woods.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:44 am

I hunt both am and beast hunt afternoon

I use maps 3d app to go within 50 yards or so of my stand then have 1-2 trail tacks. Sometimes more if theres a buck trail i need to avoid.

I put out as few as possible to avoid hunters finding them. In areas with hunters sometimes i put tack trails in circles or all over random trees to throw hunters off.

Using creeks often that run downwind to enter walk up from below and avoid all trails if possible. While beast hunting.

I use a green lense flash light when im entering and exiting my stands. Not sure if the color beam matters i just like it.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:00 am

Headlamp and gps. I also mark landmarks in my journal so I can have another thing to go by. Detailed entrance and exit routes are written in my log as well. I've started to tie a black paracord with reflective strips in it and tie them around the tree where I need to place the stand for the am sits. You can see it from a fare distance, you just have to look up 8-)
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:30 am

Sometimes a headlamp if I need it. I like green, it seems to be less harsh on my eyes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:56 am

tbunao wrote:Headlamp and gps. I also mark landmarks in my journal so I can have another thing to go by. Detailed entrance and exit routes are written in my log as well. I've started to tie a black paracord with reflective strips in it and tie them around the tree where I need to place the stand for the am sits. You can see it from a fare distance, you just have to look up 8-)

Same here. Headlamp and GPS to get me there. If I have been in the tree before and planned on using it again in a future hunt I mark it at stand height with one wrap of surveyors wrap and 4 reflective tacks.

As a general rule people don't look up so they are oblivious to my marked trees. The surveyors tape helps to quickly identify the tree in the daylight for a PM sit; the tacks for an AM or all day sit.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:15 am

I use my gps and sometimes my headlamp with a red lens if it's overcast and there is no moonlight to guide me. Actually I prefer sneaking around in the dark feel my night vision is pretty good. I should really use a light more often for safety but hate tipping off others where I am hunting. I don't hunt in real high pressure areas so feel relatively safe compared to areas some of you are hunting. If I do need a light I keep if off within 100 yards of where I am hunting.
1jody256
Facebook: jodypalmerrocketmail@yahoo.com

Unread postby 1jody256 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:04 pm

I started putting reflective tacks as high up as I can reach and not near as many aas I had in the past! just was wandering if there was a color light that deer would not spook off from as much as a white lite.or does it really matter?i know one thing aint walking in no swamp without a light,walk up on a 6 ft alligator on a near by nwr,no more of that! :snooty:
the lazy do not roast any game,but the dilligent feed on the riches of the hunt
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Creeks and draws are a wonderful access tool. I often inconspicuously clear the entry to my stand in the off season. Be careful of doing this close to any field edge or access point, though. In the last 100 yards, clear all limbs and sticks you could break by stepping on or walking through. If I had access to private, I would leaf blow the last 50-100 yards too. Just don't do that on public.

If the area is super thick, I will lay a brushy deadfall in a Y in a tree at a really tight point to block the path that I have cleared so that it doesn't become used by deer. I just lift it up and move past it on my way in.

I tend to leave the first 30-40 yards from the field edge un-prepped so it isn't easy to stumble upon my prep work. After that, the light goes out and I let my eyes adjust before continuing on. Trust your prep work. Make notes detailed enough to be able to picture the pathway in and go over it mentally several times in the couple weeks after you prepped it, that way you don't forget it. Re-imagine it every few weeks to keep it fresh. My GPS track is my last resort.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:32 pm

1jody256 wrote:I started putting reflective tacks as high up as I can reach and not near as many aas I had in the past! just was wandering if there was a color light that deer would not spook off from as much as a white lite.or does it really matter?i know one thing aint walking in no swamp without a light,walk up on a 6 ft alligator on a near by nwr,no more of that! :snooty:

I have noticed that they don't spook much with red or green light. They definitely notice them, but don't get near as alarmed as with a white or yellow hue. Green tends to penetrate much further than red.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:16 pm

IkemanTx wrote:
1jody256 wrote:I started putting reflective tacks as high up as I can reach and not near as many aas I had in the past! just was wandering if there was a color light that deer would not spook off from as much as a white lite.or does it really matter?i know one thing aint walking in no swamp without a light,walk up on a 6 ft alligator on a near by nwr,no more of that! :snooty:

I have noticed that they don't spook much with red or green light. They definitely notice them, but don't get near as alarmed as with a white or yellow hue. Green tends to penetrate much further than red.

X2

I tend to use green.

Bob

Putt4Doe

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:51 pm

tbunao wrote:Headlamp and gps. I also mark landmarks in my journal so I can have another thing to go by. Detailed entrance and exit routes are written in my log as well. I've started to tie a black paracord with reflective strips in it and tie them around the tree where I need to place the stand for the am sits. You can see it from a fare distance, you just have to look up 8-)

This is brilliant!! The rope you're talking about is super cheap and much easier to use. Great idea!!
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm like Dewey...I don't care for lights. I probably should for safety reasons. I use the brightest light when leaving because I don't usually hunt the same spot again. Gps if it's a new location. Don't rely on your phone gps and always carry spare batteries.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:58 am

Divergent wrote:I'm like Dewey...I don't care for lights. I probably should for safety reasons. I use the brightest light when leaving because I don't usually hunt the same spot again. Gps if it's a new location. Don't rely on your phone gps and always carry spare batteries.

I don't worry about the light during archery but I always use it during the gun seasons whether I need it or not. It's just too dangerous here not to.

Legal shooting is 30 minutes before sunrise until 30 minutes after sunset. I regularly hear shots long before and after legal shooting time. I have no idea how they can make out what they are shooting at when I can barely make out my hand in front of my face.

Bob

wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:22 am

I use a variety of bright eyes, reflective tie wraps and reflective tape that you put on trailers plus gps. Had one morning where the gps would not sync so had to relay of reflectors. I only put these about 1 ft off the ground , about 20 yds - 30 yards apart and not in a straight line but zip zag. That way, people do not follow the trail because they do not know whose trail they are following.

Most use the same type of reflectors so I mix them up. Most do not look down or point there flashlights towards the ground.

This helps in people not finding my trails to often.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”