Dr Jim Brauker

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

metropig

Dr Jim Brauker

Unread postby metropig » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:20 am

Has anyone had any experience with online consulting with Dr Jim Brauker? I have read his book "Extreme Deer Habitat" and I want to put some of it into practice on my 70 acre property. However, just having read the book I still do not feel prepared to make big changes like that yet. I know the majority of my timber is too big and I need to make some changes to increase undergrowth. My problem is all the different information that is out there and not wanting to screw something up that will take years to recover from. I live in Missouri and I can't seem to find anyone around here that really seems to have the expertise I'm looking for. I was just curious if any of you Beasts have used his online service or have any other recommendations.

G3s
500 Club

Re: Dr Jim Brauker

Unread postby G3s » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:17 am

Not necessarily the answer you are looking for but if you are on facebook join the page Michigan Deer Hunters Let em Grow. You can interact with Dr Brauker on that page he is on there fairly often.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:20 am

Check out Jim ward from Iowa or Jeff sturgis from Wisconsin. Both are good consultants. Dan does property visits for scouting not sure if he would tell you were to cut down trees. You would have to ask him.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:42 am

If you have all big timber, cutting some down and selling it wouldn't be a bad idea. Do it strategically to create bedding areas that deer will use, but leave enough timber so that you can effectively hunt it. Having deer bed on your land would really be good for your hunting.

Just my 2 cents on it. I do think everybody you consult has their own style and will tell you different things. Just need to pick one that seems the best for you. Good luck!
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:56 am

If you have mature hardwoods in a hilly setting simply logging from the military crest up is a good start. It creates the bedding described on this site, thick back cover with an elevated visual advantage below.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:14 am

Hawthorne wrote:Check out Jim ward from Iowa or Jeff sturgis from Wisconsin. Both are good consultants. Dan does property visits for scouting not sure if he would tell you were to cut down trees. You would have to ask him.

I do a lot of private land consulting that includes bedding/land enhancement.
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:24 am

dan wrote: I do a lot of private land consulting that includes bedding/land enhancement.

Personally, I think this would be your most effective option.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:25 am

CallMeFishmael wrote:
dan wrote: I do a lot of private land consulting that includes bedding/land enhancement.

Personally, I think this would be your most effective option.

x2. I think the most important thing is putting bedding in the right places. You have to build it where they already want to be. Dan is an expert at it
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:23 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Check out Jim ward from Iowa or Jeff sturgis from Wisconsin. Both are good consultants. Dan does property visits for scouting not sure if he would tell you were to cut down trees. You would have to ask him.

Jim Ward is amazing. Love talking to him. I put him as number 1 in the industry, no doubt. Sturgis and Brauker are good as well. Sturgis is great for hill country setup and is good at steering the deer and has a good approach to access. Brauker knows how to make a small property great, but don't agree with all of his stuff. At times, he rubs me the wrong way. Sorry Jim. I have no experience with Dan on improvements but his consultation of existing tendencies is the best in the industry.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”