Eyes on target!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
PK_
500 Club

Re: Eyes on target!!!

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:46 am

I hope you get him!

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:15 am

Good luck Fred. I hope you get a crack at him.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:04 am

Pretty sure he winded me :cry:
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:45 am

checkerfred wrote:Pretty sure he winded me :cry:

Too bad, but I enjoyed reading the play by play!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:17 pm

Damn!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:15 pm

Atleast you know you were in the game.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Well it didn't happen and I made a few mistakes but it was definitely an awesome experience. I've never been on a buck more less a mature buck like this. He's a big deer. I instantly spotted him bedded when I glassed the possible bedding area from a distance. He looks like a very heavy tined 8 but could be bigger. I went through so many emotions: nervous, excitement, adrenaline rush, etc.

I ended up moving after I saw a deer get up there and I moved to where he did. Saw three does and was just standing behind a tree. Two came within 20 yards but I didn't want them so they got a pass. I'm gonna be planning my next move on him and hopefully I'll connect.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:09 pm

checkerfred wrote:Well it didn't happen and I made a few mistakes but it was definitely an awesome experience. I've never been on a buck more less a mature buck like this. He's a big deer. I instantly spotted him bedded when I glassed the possible bedding area from a distance. He looks like a very heavy tined 8 but could be bigger. I went through so many emotions: nervous, excitement, adrenaline rush, etc.

I ended up moving after I saw a deer get up there and I moved to where he did. Saw three does and was just standing behind a tree. Two came within 20 yards but I didn't want them so they got a pass. I'm gonna be planning my next move on him and hopefully I'll connect.

Excellent. Sounds like a terrific day at school. :mrgreen: Keep at it and you will get your opportunity.

As Buckshot said " at least you were in the game" and that is huge. 98% of hunters aren't even on the field.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:11 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:Well it didn't happen and I made a few mistakes but it was definitely an awesome experience. I've never been on a buck more less a mature buck like this. He's a big deer. I instantly spotted him bedded when I glassed the possible bedding area from a distance. He looks like a very heavy tined 8 but could be bigger. I went through so many emotions: nervous, excitement, adrenaline rush, etc.

Excellent. Sounds like a terrific day at school. :mrgreen:

As Buckshot said " at least you were in the game" and that is huge. 98% of hunters aren't even on the field.

Bob

It's an awesome feeling to know that too. Pressured public land and I was really close to a true mature buck twice. I hope I can get it done before our season closes or I'll have some big buck dreams ahead of me for a long time haha
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:47 pm

I remember a time when I jumped a big buck out from under a small bushy tree while walking past to access a further back section... I thought about setting up for a bump and dump, but decided against it, The very next day I walked the same trail as it was my access to the back, and out of the bed jumped the same buck. I was kicking my self, but thought, he certainly won't come back now... The next day when I jumped him I was baffled. The 4rth day, I was sitting there, and he never came back... You never know... Unless you got a better idea in mind, I would try until he stops showing up.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:42 am

Dang CF your gonna tag one yet!
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:12 am

dan wrote:I remember a time when I jumped a big buck out from under a small bushy tree while walking past to access a further back section... I thought about setting up for a bump and dump, but decided against it, The very next day I walked the same trail as it was my access to the back, and out of the bed jumped the same buck. I was kicking my self, but thought, he certainly won't come back now... The next day when I jumped him I was baffled. The 4rth day, I was sitting there, and he never came back... You never know... Unless you got a better idea in mind, I would try until he stops showing up.

Few more questions

You think this is his primary bedding area?

Wonder where he'd go if I did pressure him too much already...I never set foot in the area he was first bedded...this is pretty much the most secure place. Or was :lol:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:17 am

I would throw my stand on my back and stalk my way back in there and find him...Then try to kill him. Your scents already in there, what have you got to loose?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:32 am

checkerfred wrote:
dan wrote:I remember a time when I jumped a big buck out from under a small bushy tree while walking past to access a further back section... I thought about setting up for a bump and dump, but decided against it, The very next day I walked the same trail as it was my access to the back, and out of the bed jumped the same buck. I was kicking my self, but thought, he certainly won't come back now... The next day when I jumped him I was baffled. The 4rth day, I was sitting there, and he never came back... You never know... Unless you got a better idea in mind, I would try until he stops showing up.

Few more questions

Wonder where he'd go if I did pressure him too much already...I never set foot in the area he was first bedded...this is pretty much the most secure place. Or was :lol:

Primary? I don't know without walking it, but my gut tells me no... If he disappears from the area, I would look for points that are like the ones he was bedded on. But, your getting a bit ahead of yourself and over thinking. Back to reality, he was there 2 days in a row, and you only have a few days left. I wouldnt stop hunting there till he stops showing... A lot of guys get confused on my logic cause I often say I only hunt a spot once a year, or once early, once late, once rut... But, thats implying the buck was not there. If I lay eyes on the target, im back there the next day.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:45 am

dan wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

Few more questions

Primary? I don't know without walking it, but my gut tells me no... If he disappears from the area, I would look for points that are like the ones he was bedded on. But, your getting a bit ahead of yourself and over thinking. Back to reality, he was there 2 days in a row, and you only have a few days left. I wouldnt stop hunting there till he stops showing... A lot of guys get confused on my logic cause I often say I only hunt a spot once a year, or once early, once late, once rut... But, thats implying the buck was not there. If I lay eyes on the target, im back there the next day.

Roger that. I'll be on him like stink on a bear from here on out. I'm gonna try an early morning hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”