Bow Cord modifications

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pager24

Bow Cord modifications

Unread postby Pager24 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:29 am

I'm new to the site and the beast style hunting. I recently purchased an XOP Air Raid and climbing sticks, so i am completely mobile for the first time. I've found some cool stand modifications on the site, but was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for attaching and/or securing a pull cord for my bow on this type of setup? I currently just have the cord tied to the platform and wrapped around when I'm packing it in. But I know there are a lot smarter and more creative people out there than myself- so I figured I would ask if anyone is willing to share.

Thanks

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Bow Cord modifications

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:19 am

I have seen something similar to what you do. Wrap around the stand platform and have a bungee on the end with a cheap carabiner. Hook the carabiner on the stand so that the bungee is under tension. youtube search public land hunters stand modifications, he shows how he did it. Might try it with my stand.

The other one that I and many others do, is a 30' string or ribbon and wrapped in a figure 8 around your thumb and pinky and put into a pocket. Use a figure 8 otherwise you are in for about 5 minutes of swearing under your breath while you untangle it. You could say I have done that before :lol:

And welcome to the beast!
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jlarsc

Unread postby Jlarsc » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:21 am

https://www.amazon.com/Pine-Ridge-Arche ... B000LH7VH2
I use this strap on a reel. Fits in my pocket and doesnt get all tangled like a rope.
I also clip it to a fannypack and it fits in the water bottle holder.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:45 am

I used this the last 2 seasons. The flat cord doesn't tangle like a round cord. And it's all rubber coated, nothing to make noise. I carry it in my pocket, and tie the end to back of my belt after I attach it to my bow, as I'm setting up my sticks.

http://www.basspro.com/Hawk-Twist-Tie-H ... extensions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Pager24

Unread postby Pager24 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:38 am

hmm that looks pretty cool. I think I'll give it a try thanks!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:11 am

I've tried the reels. Sooner or later I ended up banging it on the stand. :doh:

The trick I found is use a thicker rope. At least 3/16". Even if they do tangle. The tangles don't get as tight as a string. Plus because of the added thickness the chance for tangles decrease. The little bit of extra room it takes is worth it in the long run.

Also when pulling the bow up. Try to pay attention and lay it out more on nearby branches. In a way that will minimize the tangles. I always got the worst tangles while pulling up the bow. Especially when extra high in a tree. Wrap it up once you've got your bow in the tree and put it away. This will make lowering the bow easier. Haven't used it much but yes the figure 8 method works quite well.

I also only like to have just the right amount of rope lowered to get the job done. Why lower 30' of rope if your only 12' high. I actually try to leave the bottom end of my rope end up at chest level. This is extremely important if there is snow on the ground. But is good for dry ground too. It keeps sticks, snow and other debris out of wheels, wheel/string junctions and sights. Plus any where else you don't want junk.

tgreeno how are those wraps holding up on that rope. What are they actually made of? They look slick.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:19 am

I just use 25' of paracord. If you wrap it up the way he shows how to towards the end of the video it won't tangle. Been doing it this way for years.

Bob

https://youtu.be/U-VVrq4E7eY
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:36 pm

stash59 wrote:
tgreeno how are those wraps holding up on that rope. What are they actually made of? They look slick.

They are rubber coated wire...After probably 80-100 hunts, I just had the 1/3 of the end of one of the wires break off. Still plenty of wire to secure the bow, and used it like that most of December. The wires are twice as long as they need to be when new.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:19 am

I tie a small loop onto my stand, then I figure 8 my bow rope between my pinky and thumb making 2 loops. I leave about 8-10" of the bow rope and wrap the figue 8 to hold it tight then clip the carabiner that's on the end of my bow rope through one of the figure 8 loops, and to attach it to the stand I clip the carabiner to the loop on the stand. If that makes since lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”