Keeping a Journal

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Keeping a Journal

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:32 am

strutnrut716 wrote:
stash59 wrote:
strutnrut716 wrote:I've kept a detailed journal for many years. Also use a Garmin GPS and load waypoints onto laptop Garmin Basecamp.

When I really get busy hunting many days in a row (seems to happen more often while turkey hunting) I will use my Olympus Digital Voice Recorder (Model VN-4100PC) which is small pocket size. After the hunt when I jump into my truck to drive home I start talking about the hunt and recording myself. I usually don't have a short drive home so it works great. This unit comes with a usb cord and then I just load the wave file onto my laptop. Then I dont have to write a log when I get home. But I usually prefer to write a log.

Also, if I'm hunting with other family members or friends and we text via phone back and forth (ie "just had a small buck come by from the north") these texts have time and date stamps. So when you get back home and try to remember "what time was that" its time stamped. Works great.

Man this is just what I need. My crazy movements caused by my Chronic Lyme. Makes my chicken scratchings even more undescernable!!! What's a unit cost and where do you find them?

stash....Ive seen them on Amazon for about $ 80 used. Brand new can be pricey ( $200 + ). Maybe check craigslist, ebay, etc.. The unit I have is at least 5 years old. My wife got it to record meetings where she works..

My android has a voice recorder right on it. You can rename the audio files. Most smart phones would have something like that.

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:15 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:Rich, what do you use the soil survey info for?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

The soil survey is an aerial photo overlaid with soil types - the soil types often correspond with Nation Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) data and can mean different stuff. For example, there are hydric soils which are typically found in wetlands, soil books also list groundwater depths and seasonal high groundwater - so it will tell if a place floods or typically does not. In FL, the NRCS data shows what the wetland line would be in most cases, and sometimes gives me an edge to consider when a topo just shows a flat marsh.

Someone else on here spoke about using text messages for records that include the time. My son was feeling a little depressed as he was in the stand on the last morning and did not remember when the deer came thru the day before. He was ready to quit at 9 and I told him he had seen deer movement at 9:30 the day before. He shot a decent doe at 9:30 on the button. Texts are a great resource and fun to compare notes - if my son or wife are seeing deer, I'm staying put and vice versa.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:17 am

strutnrut716 wrote:
stash59 wrote:
strutnrut716 wrote:I've kept a detailed journal for many years. Also use a Garmin GPS and load waypoints onto laptop Garmin Basecamp.

When I really get busy hunting many days in a row (seems to happen more often while turkey hunting) I will use my Olympus Digital Voice Recorder (Model VN-4100PC) which is small pocket size. After the hunt when I jump into my truck to drive home I start talking about the hunt and recording myself. I usually don't have a short drive home so it works great. This unit comes with a usb cord and then I just load the wave file onto my laptop. Then I dont have to write a log when I get home. But I usually prefer to write a log.

Also, if I'm hunting with other family members or friends and we text via phone back and forth (ie "just had a small buck come by from the north") these texts have time and date stamps. So when you get back home and try to remember "what time was that" its time stamped. Works great.

Man this is just what I need. My crazy movements caused by my Chronic Lyme. Makes my chicken scratchings even more undescernable!!! What's a unit cost and where do you find them?

stash....Ive seen them on Amazon for about $ 80 used. Brand new can be pricey ( $200 + ). Maybe check craigslist, ebay, etc.. The unit I have is at least 5 years old. My wife got it to record meetings where she works..

Thanx SnR
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:49 am

Rich M wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:Rich, what do you use the soil survey info for?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

The soil survey is an aerial photo overlaid with soil types - the soil types often correspond with Nation Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) data and can mean different stuff. For example, there are hydric soils which are typically found in wetlands, soil books also list groundwater depths and seasonal high groundwater - so it will tell if a place floods or typically does not. In FL, the NRCS data shows what the wetland line would be in most cases, and sometimes gives me an edge to consider when a topo just shows a flat marsh.

Someone else on here spoke about using text messages for records that include the time. My son was feeling a little depressed as he was in the stand on the last morning and did not remember when the deer came thru the day before. He was ready to quit at 9 and I told him he had seen deer movement at 9:30 the day before. He shot a decent doe at 9:30 on the button. Texts are a great resource and fun to compare notes - if my son or wife are seeing deer, I'm staying put and vice versa.

For the soil info. Google search web soil survey. I use it quite a bit for my hydrology class. Can be tricky to use but I can see where it can be very helpful
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:36 pm

I've been considering doing a journal but wanted to do more of a video journal. Take pictures and notes during my scouts then compose a short video on my findings and just post that. Thought maybe it would be something different and some people might enjoy more than reading large posts.
Joe™
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:47 pm

I could list a lot of instances where writing things down helped me kill big bucks. One of the biggest factors is tracking what food is around and what deer are hitting when.

We scout in the winter and spring....see sign from last year....if there is a major change in food you will see completely different patterns next year. Sometimes different bedding, at the very least different directions of travel. Several years down the road when I have forgotten what exactly year X was like, I get a similar combination of food sources and know exactly what is coming at me that fall.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks For the quick replies guys. I appreciate it.

No matter how long you have been hunting there is always more to learn.

Thanks again,

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”