Specific Buck behavior?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Specific Buck behavior?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:59 am

As i was sitting in class the other day dreaming about hunting as usual i got to thinking about a buck we have a fair amount of trail cam footage of. I got to thinking about how in all the videos he is walking very slow and stiff, almost as if he is in posture ready to attack. We have many videos of him doing this. Then i remembered my brother having an encounter with him on his way to his bed one morning. So, ignoring the teacher and hiding my phone, i sent a text to my brother and asked him. He said the buck was actually walking like this when he saw him. This buck also caught my brother pulling back when his bow creaked. I think the buck walking like this actually saved his life that way because he can pick up on more sounds and movement

Anyways, has anyone ever seen this were a buck will walk like real stealthy like this. I found it interesting...

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Specific Buck behavior?

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:03 am

Think you got me there... I can't say that I have ever ran into a buck that walked stiff / or aggressive, unless there was another buck around. I have seen them act aggressive like that towards humans,and assume coyotes or other predators occasionally too... But as far as acting in that manner all the time, or even the majority, thats something I have never witnessed.
Each buck, like each human, does have its own personality though... And learning little things about a certain deers behavior could help you take him...
For example, I don't do much calling, but a buck acting that aggressive would probably have a hard time accepting another buck in his territory, and he might be worth giving calling, or decoying a try...
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:09 pm

I lied its not all of them, but its most of them though. But dan you make a very good point. Ill have to remember that while hunting him.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Actually seeing an individual buck enough times to observe his personality is a trip. The real aggressive bucks don't seem to live long around here, they cover a lot of ground in their attempt to maintain their perceived status with the other bucks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”