How long did it take...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Lockdown

Re: How long did it take...

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:05 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:One thing I've noticed with successful hunters a like is confidence. They can be PC, not want to brag, etc, but in their head and in the woods they know they have what it takes. Attention to detail, a willingness to constantly learn and evolve. They learned long ago that doing what the majority is doing doesn't kill a mature buck. In fact a small percent of guys are killing mature bucks year in year out. Hunting companies by shear luck and volume of numbers can post pictures of guys/gals with big bucks down, what they don't show you is all the unsuccessful hunters. My father was the best hunter I know, I always wanted his approval as a hunter, to outdo him or at least match his success. We pushed one another. He lit the fire that burns out of control inside me, and like most advancements in generations I took it to another level. Am I good? Am I great? Do I have what it takes? That story is still writing itself. Some hunters have criteria, what makes that in Iowa, Michigan, Maine, Florida? I will never need to be one of the main speakers at the event, just as long as I get an invite, I'm blessed.

X2 - great post.

How long will it take? Besides the state where you live.... It depends on your expectations. Depends on your choice of weapons. Depends on your time. Depends on your drive. Around 1999 I started really pushing to learn all I could about this game. Lots of hiccups along the way. Lots and lots of mistakes. But you just keep pushing. I know I am still hungry...mature bucks have started to hit the ground for me with regularity...but I am still pushing. I will never ever conquer this game. Its why I love it. And my favorite thing about deer hunting...you don't have to be an exceptional athlete to get better at it. You just have to have a love and a passion for it.

The ugly side of it? Pride. Arrogance. Narcissism. Do anything, run over anyone, cheat, beg, steal, lie -- all so you can put another buck on the wall. Friendships ruined. Family relationships ruined. Marriages ruined...all over stupid deer. Humility and modesty are traits that I admire most about successful big buck killers.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

2 great posts guys.

venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:30 am

I don't know, every time I feel like I have an edge and the next time I go out, those deer make me feel like I know nothing! I love the challenge no matter what! And if anyone asked me I would to tell them enjoy every chance they have to get outdoors, every chance they have to go scouting, and researching or doing whatever homework they feel is necessary, and every time they go out hunting because it all rocks! Don't worry about being good, you'll get there.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:06 am

venisonassassin wrote:I don't know, every time I feel like I have an edge and the next time I go out, those deer make me feel like I know nothing! I love the challenge no matter what! And if anyone asked me I would to tell them enjoy every chance they have to get outdoors, every chance they have to go scouting, and researching or doing whatever homework they feel is necessary, and every time they go out hunting because it all rocks! Don't worry about being good, you'll get there.

X2!! I feel very humble these days, especially when i pay attention to members on here. The more i learn i realize i don't know very much.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:00 am

I think it is hard to put a finger on the amount of time it takes. Each and everyone is different with different hunting environments. For me I go all out when I'm into something and I tend to be more so on the aggressive side of things, just my nature. Good and bad. Blew a lot of hunts in the beginning by just trying to inch in a little to far without having all the intel I should have for that particular hunt. Beast hunting is not over night success for anyone, no matter how experienced a hunter you are. I know each and every year I walk away with more and more knowledge of the woods and game I'm after. I still have a ways to go and that is y i love it.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:38 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:One thing I've noticed with successful hunters a like is confidence. They can be PC, not want to brag, etc, but in their head and in the woods they know they have what it takes. Attention to detail, a willingness to constantly learn and evolve. They learned long ago that doing what the majority is doing doesn't kill a mature buck. In fact a small percent of guys are killing mature bucks year in year out. Hunting companies by shear luck and volume of numbers can post pictures of guys/gals with big bucks down, what they don't show you is all the unsuccessful hunters. My father was the best hunter I know, I always wanted his approval as a hunter, to outdo him or at least match his success. We pushed one another. He lit the fire that burns out of control inside me, and like most advancements in generations I took it to another level. Am I good? Am I great? Do I have what it takes? That story is still writing itself. Some hunters have criteria, what makes that in Iowa, Michigan, Maine, Florida? I will never need to be one of the main speakers at the event, just as long as I get an invite, I'm blessed.

X2 - great post.

How long will it take? Besides the state where you live.... It depends on your expectations. Depends on your choice of weapons. Depends on your time. Depends on your drive. Around 1999 I started really pushing to learn all I could about this game. Lots of hiccups along the way. Lots and lots of mistakes. But you just keep pushing. I know I am still hungry...mature bucks have started to hit the ground for me with regularity...but I am still pushing. I will never ever conquer this game. Its why I love it. And my favorite thing about deer hunting...you don't have to be an exceptional athlete to get better at it. You just have to have a love and a passion for it.

The ugly side of it? Pride. Arrogance. Narcissism. Do anything, run over anyone, cheat, beg, steal, lie -- all so you can put another buck on the wall.Friendships ruined. Family relationships ruined. Marriages ruined...all over stupid deer. Humility and modesty are traits that I admire most about successful big buck killers.

^^^^^^This is another reason I love chatting with the hunters on this site. I don't ever get the impression anyone is here to simply show off and brag and be a smartass or anything. Sure we show off our bucks but here we explain to others how to get it done...THE RIGHT WAY! So much honor in that. Other forums I've been on its the total opposite. I hate that ugly side of big buck hunting. I was really let down this past week to find an article about a well known big buck killer I've recently come to admire. I won't mention his name but the article said about illegally baiting and hunting in Illinois without a license and getting busted by the DNR and paying a huge fine. My credibility for him was sunk after reading that.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:35 pm

30 plus years..and Im still waiting to be good.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”