New to the beast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Bhartman1203

New to the beast

Unread postby Bhartman1203 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:48 am

New to the beast with not many years of hunting experience. does any body have any issues with hawk combat hang on stands? Was looking to start hunting from lock ons next season and I like the design and price for their stands, just wondering if anybody has any experience with them.

stash59

Re: New to the beast

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:51 am

Welcome and enjoy!!!!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:56 am

:think:
Stands can be a bit tricky to settle into the correct set up. What I mean is the one you think is best today might end up being NOT what you want a while later.

I have been through it personally and see it here a lot. The Lone Wolf and XOP are hard to beat. Some guys are getting 15 years of use from them so don't be afraid of the cost.

Choose for your self but think, ask for advice and don't rush.

Welcome.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Bhartman1203

Unread postby Bhartman1203 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:14 am

Thanks for the info. I've used a summit climber the last two seasons, but since finding a straight tree with no limbs can be a bear, and sometimes take me away from where I want to hunt is flustrating. Plus I strictly bow hunt so I figured the added concealment of where you can put lock ons is a plus.
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:39 am

It seems like there is a few guys here that use the hawk stands and like them. I would personally look into a used lone wolf or Xop to try it out and make sure you like it before spending the coin on a new one if you are unsure. Even if you hate it you will be able to resell with no issues and little to no money loss. You can find some good deals on new ones also if you are patient and don't need one tomorrow.
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:43 am

Welcome to the beast. If you are like me, you will find that what you thought you knew about deer hunting will fly out the window and be replaced with highly valuable knowledge that will put you on track with what deer and specifically mature bucks do/act/locate. I took most of my hunting knowledge and filed it in the circular file after joining this site. But if you haven't been hunting long, you won't have as many bad habits to break!! :lol:

As far as stands go, I was pretty sure I would be hunting off the ground mostly...I just bought a new Lone Wolf...read into it before purchasing, as many people end up with two stands as a result.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:47 am

Welcome aboard!
Not all those who wander are lost...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:25 am

Welcome! Be sure to check out the podcasts and youtube channel. Also on the deer hunting forum, at the top, is all time best tactical threads.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:32 am

Welcome to the Beast !!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:38 am

Welcome to the Beast!

I have been using a Hawk Helium XL for the last 3 year, and love it. They are very quiet & stable with a very comfortable seats. The only difference between Hawks combat series & helium series are, the combats are steel & the heliums are lighter aluminum. You save about 5lbs per stand going from steel to aluminum. If you want to have a mobile set-up, I would definitely spend a little more money and get an aluminum stand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:03 am

I haven't spent the money on the lone wolf or the XOP. I have found and converted older stands to be mobile. I use climbing sticks and a lock on almost every sit. The weight and stability are the two main requirements for me. Welcome to the Beast.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”