Moving Forward

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Moving Forward

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:21 pm

I didn't fill my bow tag again this year, so obviously some adjustments need to be made. I'll start with these. In no particular order of importance.

1) Scout more, I really focused on hunting, and only scouted when I didn't have a plan for that day. The guys here that kill big bucks typically do it through scouting in the offseason.

2) This goes along with #1 make an honest effort to attend a scouting workshop to make good use of the scouting time I have.

3) Only buy, and bring gear with you to the tree that will help you kill deer. I'm not going camping, and all that crap stresses my mind, my mind should be used to find deer rather than finding gear. Also use saved money to drive to better areas or more scouting trips/ a workshop.

4) Be confident in my bow setup. I think I'm gonna move to a lighter poundage that I can shoot more accurately, I like my vertical pin sight, but dislike moving it for different yardages, I think 3 vertical pins are the way to go. 20, 30, 40 yds. Done. Seldom have I shot a deer with any method over 40 yards. Also switch to a whisker biscuit, never had a problem with my drop away. But it's always in the back of my mind and drops confidence.

5) Shoot my bow in near hunting conditions. Wake up, run around the house, shoot one arrow. Call it a day. Focus on hitting an EXACT spot.

6) Practice real tangible hunting skills, food/browse Identification, track judgement, reading wind and terrain, and judge yardage by eye.

7) Keep it fun, if I don't feel like hunting, I'm not gonna go. Simple as that. It hasn't been a problem yet, but I really don't wanna burn out on hunting. I love this sport and it gives me a chance to get away from my problems, not create more.

I believe by adjusting these few areas I can grow as a hunter, and as a young man. Maybe fill a few more tags, certainly enjoy the process.

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: Moving Forward

Unread postby jwilkstn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Great plan. I wish I would have had such knowledge and plans at your age.

The key I've found regarding gear is to be confident in the gear you have, and to remember that there aren't any shortcuts. Anymore, my only gear buys consist 3 categories:
1) something to do the killing (bullets/broadheads/etc)
2) clothing that keeps me afield effectively
3) stands/Stealth Strips/etc that get me in range

Only other deer hunting purchases are gas, tags, and can't forget the butcher paper :lol:
Not all those who wander are lost...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:04 am

8-) :clap: :think: :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:17 am

Isitseasonyet those are 7 great rules to hunt by. Every single one of them!

I would print them out and tape them to your bow case or somewhere you can't avoid looking at before going into the woods 8-)
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:06 am

Good post!!!

Couldn't agree more...Recognizing things to do differently to increase success is huge.

Some guys do the same thing over and over and complain when the big one never comes by...How could a reasonable person expect different results without making any changes??

I see that a LOT in PA. In the last 15 years or so, PA has changed pretty drastically..We went through a herd reduction program and also implemented antler restrictions..No doubt there are less deer in most areas of the state. The buck age class and buck to doe ratio is also better..Older bucks are harder to kill and require some different stand setups and hunting techniques. At the same time we've lost like 400k hunters.

Loosing hunters isn't a big deal for a hunter...But for the guy that sits the same stand every opening day of rifle season...400k less hunters have reduced pressure significantly in many areas...You have to hunt DEER..There is a lot less forced movement...

Years back you could honestly sit on a stump dang near anywhere opening day and see deer. They ran wild pretty much all day on the opener.

You're well on your way. Good luck to you!!
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:22 am

It is important to self reflect, both in life and hunting. You have me looking back now. Appreciate the post.
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:46 am

I like this! :clap: Some of the things you listed I have already done, but I think a short list of goals is great. They preach at us in all management training courses at work to never set unattainable goals, and only set small ones we know we can accomplish.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:43 am

Solid 8-)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:45 am

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
g-inthewild

Unread postby g-inthewild » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:17 am

This is first year I haunted the whole season. Probably had 15 sits all total. Nothing for the freezer. Karma's a B****! First day bow hunting, missed an early season doe because my sight pins were too bright and couldn't get a clear shot. Probably ruined for the rest of the year. However, one things for sure. I honed my style, scout more for locations, pay attention to the signs, trimmed down to go more mobile and lighter. Will spend next season light and easy, going more in the saddle direction instead of carrying in a hang on and sticks. Use single stick method for climbing, and using climbing harness and saddle mods (see Bowhunter15's vid). Most important thing I learned, all things considered.......DON'T move, at all, even the slightest. I've been busted several times. Won't happen again. It's one thing when you're walking in, another when your set. Also will hunt more from the ground since I hunt a lot of public and there are stands everywhere. Sept. 15 can't come around soon enough. I'll be there!
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:10 pm

I made this post to keep myself accountable, I went out scouting today, found 1 good spot. Switched my slider to a fixed 5 vertical pins (can remove two if necessary or leave all five, not sure yet), also shot with and without my long stabilizer at medium range and saw no difference, decided to go with a more rubbery one for vibration and quietness. It made the bow quieter and now I shouldn't have a problem with it hitting the wall of my blind when I hunt inside that...
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Sounds like you're off to a good start on your off season goals. It's one thing to make resolutions and set goals. Quite another thing to meet those goals.

Just don't ask where I'm at on the list of goals I have for this off season. :oops: :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Great post... Im a big fan of always striving to be the best you can be. It don't matter how good you are, or how good you think you are, you always need to to keep striving to be better.

One thing I did notice is that you started your post with a comment about not getting a deer last year. Its hard not to dwell on that, and it might not sound like much coming from a guy with a few on his wall, but one big thing for me is that I really don't dwell on the past. Every day is a new day. I don't sit around drinking a beer staring at my old mounts (my mounts are not even at my house) Nope. Im only worried about the next one. The next day... Tomorrow is what matters. Yesterday is gone.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:13 am

dan wrote:Great post... Im a big fan of always striving to be the best you can be. It don't matter how good you are, or how good you think you are, you always need to to keep striving to be better.

One thing I did notice is that you started your post with a comment about not getting a deer last year. Its hard not to dwell on that, and it might not sound like much coming from a guy with a few on his wall, but one big thing for me is that I really don't dwell on the past. Every day is a new day. I don't sit around drinking a beer staring at my old mounts (my mounts are not even at my house) Nope. Im only worried about the next one. The next day... Tomorrow is what matters. Yesterday is gone.

Yep. Funny how that happens. Its kind of the mark of a serious hunter. Buck is killed. Celebrated...onto the next one. Striving and pushing is also another mark of a serious guy. Not sitting back and saying you "can't" but pushing and figuring out how you "can".
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:37 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
dan wrote:Great post... Im a big fan of always striving to be the best you can be. It don't matter how good you are, or how good you think you are, you always need to to keep striving to be better.

Yep. Funny how that happens. Its kind of the mark of a serious hunter. Buck is killed. Celebrated...onto the next one. Striving and pushing is also another mark of a serious guy. Not sitting back and saying you "can't" but pushing and figuring out how you "can".

That's great advice, definitely a winning mindset. It makes me of think of Dan Gable, he said time to celebrate a win, was while he was walking off the mat, once he was off the mat he was preparing for his next match.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”