hunting a flood

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Outdoor814
500 Club

hunting a flood

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:42 pm

So the town I live in right now is flooding. Thankfully where I'm at I have nothing to worry about but some people not so much. One of the main roads I take to get to the areas I hint is under almost 8' of water.

Today is the last day to fill a late archery/muzzleloader tag here in PA. Im taking a co worker out to try and fill his buck tag. Since I'm not sure what the situation is with water in the areas I'm familiar with, I'm assuming they are all under water, were going to take my canoe and literally float threw the woods and search for higher ground.

I do have a few questions the first being. Has anyone ever encountered a situation like this and had results? In a situation like this will the deer yard up and bed down or do you think it will distress them and keep them on there feet?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to take pictures will will not likely find a way to post them up quickly because I got rid of photo bucket. Way to many ad pop ups to even get anything accomplished.

If your interested to see how bad the flooding is there are a few YouTube videos I saw yesterday.

If you google search flooding in Cambridge springs PA a couple short clips will pop up.

Thanks again.

Joe™
hunter_mike

Re: hunting a flood

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:50 am

Good luck and be safe!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Yes - be safe.

I have heard that a lot of deer drown in floods cause they are reluctant to leave their home range. Don't know how true it is...
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Turned out to be a bust :violin:

We did find one dead fawn. I think coyotes got it because it was very close to a road on gamelands and was torn to pieces. Look fresh to and Saturday was the last day.

Now my focus will be on scouting and counting down the days to spring gobbler :dance:
Joe™

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”