Mineral site/feeder location in the mountains

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cullen bohanon

Mineral site/feeder location in the mountains

Unread postby cullen bohanon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:26 pm

New to the group guys.In the past few years I've been hunting a new place in eastern Kentucky hills. The ridges get up to around 1,000-1,400 feet. There's a creek that runs out of the head of the valley. There's no where for a food plot so I'm looking for tips on where I should place a mineral/corn feeder site. Flat areas are in short supply. Should I place it on the ridge tops or oak flat, or on one of the benches, or the valley floor? It's been challenging figuring out the deer around here so any help would be appreciated

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Mineral site/feeder location in the mountains

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:07 am

You may not get many responses. Few folks on here admit to using bait - many seem against it. Many do run minerals - to supplement animal health. Most guys on here seem to bed hunt.

This is all contingent on if it is legal or not. Where I've hunted in FL, GA, SC they allow feeders & corn. It is a hot topic cause some folks just want to tell other people what is "right" or not. Some SC guys basically pave the roads with corn - it is amazing. I do use corn as it is allowed and helps me slow the deer down as they cross openings I'm watching - they feed for a couple minutes and move on.
My 2016 buck was NOT shot over corn or minerals, but on a trail out of a bedding area.

IF you want to take inventory - just dump a bag of corn on a well-used trail and set a cam.
Minerals should be off the trail a bit - you can get a 40-50# trace mineral block at tractor supply for less than $10. The deer will smell them once it gets wet from dew or rain. They will last maybe 2-3 years. Deer like them in the summer.

IF you want to hunt it - I'd say to wait until fall and throw some here and there at trail intersections and see what shows on camera. Find one you want on cam hitting the corn during the day, throw some more corn/feed and hunt it on the next good wind. An oak tree doesn't drop all its acorns at once, deer are used to browsing around, looking for dinner. A little here, a little there.

As you can see this is not a substitute for finding deer, you need to find the deer first, then feed or supplement them. Scouting should help you find them. Snow is great if you have it.
cullen bohanon

Unread postby cullen bohanon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've found some deer, I just didn't know if they preferred to feed on top or if they would feel safer on a bench. I personally was never a fan of corn feeders, it around here if you don't feed corn they will go to the neighbors. Plus I can't plant a food plot anywhere. I'll browse around for tips on setups in the hills. Thanks again
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:25 pm

Rich M wrote:IF you want to take inventory - just dump a bag of corn on a well-used trail and set a cam.
Minerals should be off the trail a bit - you can get a 40-50# trace mineral block at tractor supply for less than $10. The deer will smell them once it gets wet from dew or rain. They will last maybe 2-3 years. Deer like them in the summer.

That is what I do to "take inventory" so I can see who made it through the seasons.

One thing I do differently is take a sawzall to the mineral block and cut it into 6 pieces by cutting it down the middle and then cutting each half into thirds. This way the mineral block is gone by the end of summer and I don't have to worry about it as hunting over bait or minerals is illegal where I hunt.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
cullen bohanon

Unread postby cullen bohanon » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:57 am

Flat spots are in short supply here. So it doesn't matter where I place them as long as there's a trail? Flat country you can find a trail and place it where ever. Here there are so many more variables
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:22 am

I pretty. I have do what Rich does. I select a location where multiple trails cross. That ensures that they will find I think pretty quickly. One spot I set up in is a location where 5 trails meet.

I tend to select open areas which allows more camera coverage and it produces mostly nighttime pics.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:06 am

The deer don't care if it is flat or not. A bench can be 5 feet or less wide.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”