2016 BBC Stories / Pics / POST HERE

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Octoberjohn

Re: 2016 BBC Stories / Pics / POST HERE

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:21 am

Iowa 2016

My DIY Public Land Iowa hunt this past fall started out much earlier than the actual hunt itself. I started my serious cyber-scouting in February and by the time it was time to head out to Iowa in early November I had narrowed down the areas that I wanted to try out to a handful. When we arrived in Iowa on November 2nd it would be the first time I had ever stepped foot in the state! Needless to say I was excited to be there but also a little nervous to find out if all of my time on the computer prior to the trip would pay off.

The trip started off great as I was into some great bucks right away! Every location that I had picked out on my maps turned out to be right on the money. The only problem was I wasn't the only one that thought these spots were good too. On two different mornings I had was set up and ready to go at least an hour before daylight(each location was over a mile back in), only to have other hunters come in and set up within a hundred yards of my location. One hunter actually walked directly under my tree and set up right on top of me. Despite the pressure I was still seeing some great deer. I had even let a couple of golden opportunities slip right thru my fingers. The weather wasn't really cooperating with us either so we we waiting for a good cold snap to come thru. Finally we were going to catch our break with the weather and the cold snap we wanted was on its way. We hunted the evening of November 7th with great deer movement! As I walked out that night I could not wait to get in the tree the following morning! When my hunting partner came to pick me up the trouble began. He asked me to check his tire and sure enough it was losing air quickly. He told me how he had another hunter come in on his hunting location that evening and was mad that somebody was in that spot. Upon closer inspection we found a screw driver had been punched thru the tire! Luckily he had made it to me. So with our headlamps we set out to change this tire. It ended up being quite an ordeal and there was no way to get that tire changed. We were fortunate to get a ride back to the cabin that evening. With that we had to scratch our hunt off for the morning of the 8th. Needless to say we were both really disappointed. We got the tire situation fixed and decided that it would be best to hunt the last couple of days in the same area to try avoid any type of problem for the rest of the trip. My buddy had been hunting an area that I had initially wanted to hunt. Since I had been seeing great deer in a couple other spots I hadn't went in to try it yet. We both went in and hunted it on the evening of the 8th. I saw a few deer but I just had that feeling that the ridge I was set up on was going to be good the following morning. I set up my climber in the dark that evening in what I thought would be the perfect spot the following morning. Little did I know what I had in store for me!

The alarm clock woke us up at 4AM on the morning of the 9th. We wanted to get an early head start since we knew we had the 30+ minute walk into our hunting area. We left the truck at 4:40AM. I found my stand without any difficulty and was set up and ready go by 5:30AM. It was pretty cool out, probably in the mid 30's with that barely noticeable wind out off the north. As the timber started to lighten up it just felt like it was going to be a good morning. The tree I had picked had me set up on the southern side of the ridge. I had about 20 yards to my south before it started to drop off. And to my north it was about 40 yards, but it dropped off quickly into a very deep ditch. I checked my phone at 6:38 and we were well into legal shooting time. I threw out some milkweed to see where I stood with the wind but I didn't like what I was seeing. The wind was so calm that my scent was dropping at about 15 yards to the south of my tree. I could only hope that if something came by it would be to the north. Just a few minutes later I caught movement coming up the ridge from my west. I saw a tall white rack so I grabbed my bow. Within seconds the buck was within 30 yards on a constant walk, of course going to the south side of my tree. I came to full draw before I even had a good look at his headgear just in case he was a shooter. When he walked thru a big opening at 20 yards I decided he was a shooter. He needed to take three more steps and he would be within 15 yards in the open but he hit my scent and hit the brakes. I tried desperately to find a hole thru the brush but I didn't want to force the shot. He was nervous and I knew he was about to leave. For some reason he took three steps directly backwards and gave me a slightly quartering to shot at 15 yards. I put the pin tight to the shoulder to try and catch both lungs. When I released the arrow it hit him hard but I did catch his shoulder. The arrow buried well into him though and he turned and ran back the way he came. He stopped at 50 yards just long enough for me to see the arrow was till firmly in place and plenty far enough in to get the job done. He turned and ran down the steep bank to my north and within seconds all was quiet on the ridge. Everything happened so fast I didn't even have time to get nervous. It was probably 10 seconds from the time I first saw him until I released the arrow. It's funny how looking back I can remember all of the details but it was quick. I looked at my phone and it was 6:44AM. I texted my hunting partner and told him the news. I figured since he was a few hundred yards away I would just wait until about 8:30 or 9AM to take up the trail. I really felt good about the shot but I was second guessing myself about penetration with not getting a pass thru.

I sat down to catch my breath a little and then the show started. First a four point came up the ridge just like the previous buck had done. Then a couple of doe popped out and were followed by a 1.5 old 8 point. Around 7:30AM a really good buck cruised thru to my east. He was a gnarly beast being a main frame 8 point with a big split G2 on his left and an extra dagger like brow on his right side. He was much bigger than the buck I just shot at. He got down in the valley to my sought and he started bumping a few doe around. Then I had an unknown buck chase a doe up out of the deep ditch to my north. And at the same time another smaller 1.5 yr old buck started chasing a doe to my west. I was pretty much surrounded by deer! Around 8:30AM I lowered my bow down and then the next parade started. First a doe popped out from my east. She was followed by a spike, and then the buck that I had driven 12 hours to see stepped out. He was a true Iowa giant! He was a massive, heavy, tall tined buck. He looked like a big 8 point but he may have been a big 10. This buck was easily a 160 class buck! they didn't stick around long but i had more deer come up the ridge from the south. They of course caught my wind and wouldn't leave trying to figure out what I was. Finally around 9:30AM the coast was clear and I climbed down. I had a feeling the buck was sown but again I was still a little nervous. I didn't have much blood right away but I did finally get good blood about 30 yards from the shot. I found where he had stopped and headed down the steep bank. He had actually angled back towards me a little but then I suddenly lost blood. I stopped and used my bino's to check everything out as I could see for quite a long ways across the ridge in front of my and the way he was running. But right in front of my was a big old creek bottom ditch. I was hoping he wasn't in there but I just went ahead up to the edge to peek over. This is what I saw:Image

What a relief!! I had finally got my Iowa buck!! I know I did some type of crazy dance right there in the timber but I was just too excited to not do something!! honestly it took me a few minutes to figure out how to get down to him but it was all worth it. Here are a few pictures right after I got down in the ditch with him.

Here you can see where I hit him. I did catch the shoulder but my broad head(Steelforce Phathead) punched thru and took out the nearside lung and down into the heart.

Here is another view from down in the deepest ditch in Iowa!

And finally a few hero pictures!

Little did I know what I had in store for me the rest of the day. After tagging and field dressing the buck the work began. I got my buddy to help me get him out of the big ditch. But being that we were more than a mile back in it was going to be a long drag out. I wanted my buddy to hunt as we only had one more day left on our trip so I went after it myself. We did have a sled to use which helped out a lot but it still took me more than 8 hours to get him to the truck! Needless to say for reasons many more than one this hunt will never be forgotten!

Iowa turned out to be everything that I had dreamed about, plus a little but more!! It truly was an adventure from start to finish! Despite a few hiccups along the way, I cannot wait to go back and do it again!!

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:11 pm

2016 Beast Traditional Buck

This story goes back the 2014 scouting season where I was scouting some farm ground I had access too. I'll preface this story by saying this property has atleast 10-15 other bowhunters who routinely access and hunt this area. A tough situation but figured success could be garnered if I hunted early and laid all my cards on the table.

Back in 2014, I found a deep drainage ditch that dumped off a large ag field into a creek. The ditch is atleast 200 yards long and has maybe two crossable spots. I located bedding right on the edge of this interior ditch up against some blow downs near the creek. The buck and occasionally does in the area used the steep ditch behind them as a barrier with wind at back and watched out in front of them for danger. The previous bow season the area had a tall crop of corn and that was important to the sign I found in the area. The year prior we had a beans rotation and the area had none of the larger buck sign I had seen this particular year of scouting. It was pretty clear to me at that point I needed to be back here on a corn crop rotation year. I banked the spot in my scouting notes and journal and decided to wait until the conditions were correct.

Fast forward to 2016 and once again corn had returned to the area. I needed a N-NW wind to keep my scent blowing from the corn and over the creek behind me. On September 17, 2016, I was fortunate enough to have the cold front I was looking for and a N/NW wind I knew I needed to have a chance.

Another secondary aspect to this hunt was the moon. I know alot of guys have strong feelings regarding the moon one way or another, but this hunt happened to coincide with a full moon. Personally, I don't let the moon dictate too much of my hunt planning but in this case I did slightly. From my personal observation and experiences, big deer move better and a bit later in the morning with a full moon. In this instance, I had a cold front early season getting the bucks up and moving along with this full moon that would have a big deer coming back to the bedding area a bit later.

Four in the morning came early that first day but I was excited because it was my first bowhunt of the 2016 season. I knew I'd have to get in there early well before any of the local deer had filtered back from the standing corn they were feeding on. My route had me walking well over a mile through a creek to access my stand from the downwind side of the bedding ditch. Two hours later, I was setup in my aerohunter ready to see that first deer of the season.

First deer of the new day was a beautiful 110-120 inch 9 point. He stayed out around 50 yards and never got much closer. He headed off into the bedding cover across the ditch and I didn't think too much of it. About 20 minutes later, I seen a shooter just briefly but wasn't sure exactly how big. He was traveling fairly fast coming from the cornfield and crossing one of the crossings to the west of me.

Later on that morning, I heard some commotion and here came that same little 9 pointer, but this time he walked up under my tree and was acting nervous. He looked back from where he came and there was a bigger buck which I think was the shooter I spotted earlier. Here is where it gets crazy.....The bigger buck turned and started coming at the little buck and snort wheezed at him when he took off running a bit. At this point, the big buck is also under me and I had to freeze and let him walk behind me. I turned in my saddle as he approached a shooting lane; I drew back picked a spot and released the arrow! The shot was true and hit him in the heart putting him down within eyesight.

I honestly just about lost it sitting there in the tree and having just watched my first trad kill buck go down. I was running on 120 percent adrenaline and had to make my self look at the missing arrow from my quiver to make sure what had happened was not not a dream!! It was absolutely unreal killing my first trad buck; in fact, as I sit here writing this I'm still jacked thinking back on that hunt!! I've killed a lot of good bucks and while this one is far from my "biggest," I consider him the absolute highlight of my 20 year bowhunting career. For you guys that have never tried traditional bowhunting, it is absolutely addicting and gets in your soul.

I owe my buddy Keb on here for helping me get setup with traditional; he got me shooting good fast and really helped me cut my learning curve. The guy is first class and knows his stuff with traditional and bowhunting alike. I think he was and is as proud as I am today.

I appreciate you guys reading my story and re-living that day with me.

Thanks for reading!

My bow from the tree that I had to re-check and make sure I had shot!!

My buck as I first walked up on him

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:50 am

MA Clean 8!

After getting trailcam photos over the summer of a buck i can say i know quite well, I knew it was the buck I needed to pursue. I passed this buck as a 2.5 old 7 pt in 2014 and wished him well on survival. Long story short. The following year, I told myself that it will be a hard decision to take him as a 3.5 year old par 8 if the opportunity was given. Luckily, I didn't have to make that decision because he blew up as a 4.5 year old.

Going into the season, I set my goal to shoot a 3.5 year old around 115" here in MA. Tons of time spent scouting and planning, I was really confident going into this season. Now it was just a matter of persistence and God's will. Opening day rolls around and I'm starting to feel a little down knowing that finding time to hunt was going to be a challenge. With a 11 month year old daughter, wife working and attending NP school, and myself running a small business; I set my priorities and did my best to hunt when the time was right.

Fast forward to the my 6th sit on 11/4. It was a NW wind and immediately knew I needed to be on the south facing leeward ridge that connected 2 bedding areas that I haven't hunted in a couple of years (and knew this buck spent a lot of time on this past summer). One of the bedding points jutted out into a tiny swamp pothole that also held some good beds. So, I threw my stand on my back, bow in hand and got situated around 3 PM. 45 mins later a small buck comes by at 25 yards right from suspected bedding. Then the last hour of light, it was action packed with 2 small bucks bumping a few does around 50 yards out. As the night was winding down, I was observing for a tree 30 yards closer to the action to sit the next northerly wind.

11/7 was my 7th sit and it happened be a 40's 10 MPH NE wind kind of day. Guess where I'm heading? I quietly get set up early around 1:40 PM checking wind and air currents with milkweed frequently. Randomly, the wind would shift WNW, which was just off from the pothole bedding point, but "still in the game". 3:40 PM rolls around and I find myself bored looking at my phone. Couple of minutes later, I put my phone away. I slowly looked to my left then slowly to my right towards the pothole and... :shock: "Shooter". He was already at 25 yards slowly closing the gap on a faint trail. I slowly grabbed my bow and latched my release like a sloth. As I was ready, he was walking slow 5 yards in front. Just as he took 2 steps past my stand, I slowly stood up over the top of him, drew, and let him have it between the shoulders. The arrow zipped cleanly through and he was on his way. I immediately saw I had good blood from stand, but did not see my arrow as I thought it was a clean pass through. Trying to keep my composure, I waited it out a little and took my time tearing down. Followed blood for 20 feet and surprisingly found my arrow 5 feet up laying on a branch. He must've kicked it up while running off. 75 yards later I found him piled up!

The best part of this hunt was when I decided to take him somewhere else to dress him since I didn't want guts near my stomping grounds. My brother in law and I take the trip 5 minutes down the road. Half way through gutting him we hear Kenny Chesney blaring through mini speakers coming down the two tracks. We turn our lights off and watched this guy decked out riding his bike with flashing lights and jamming out through the woods in the pitch dark. :lol: :lol:

Thanks to Dan and everyone else on the beast who contributed to the knowledge I've learned in the last couple of years!!

180 view of set

Trail he came down from

trailcam pics
ImageImage
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:38 am

Where do I even start it's been a long successful season starting in Spring I killed four toms, connected with a public land bear up in Minnesota and now to top it off I just killed my best bow buck 2 date. It's been a long bow season for me just when you think you got it figured out your slapped in the face with reality. Hunting is a humbling experience I've learned more this year than I ever have. It all came together for me last night. I started getting trail cams pics of this buck last year is a two and a half. This year he showed up and he completely blew up. He went from a 120

,to a 150 class in one year.

I've been waiting for a Southwest wind to go into my favorite funnel on the property. I headed west early Friday morning and arrived in Western Wisconsin at about noon unpack my truck and headed right out to the stand. As I was walking in there was two fresh scrapes that were open up with no leaves in them. Also there was a few clusters of new rubs. Time went on and all I seen was squirrels squirrels squirrels ..ugh lol I was just dozing off into space and all the sudden to my left on the other side of the valley I heard a really low deep growl I quickly sat up and my ears panned back and forth like a whitetail. Lol
It was obvious that there was some heavy chasing going on on the opposite side. I grabbed my grunt call and I started mimicking the buck after about 5 or 10 minutes went on I didn't hear nothing. From all the squirrels making the noise I was sick of turning my head to look to see if there was a deer suddenly I heard a stick snap right behind me and I said to myself that's no squirrel!!!! I stood up turn around and here's stands a doe 30 yards from me. I focused on the doe and noticed there was a bigger deer standing behind her I put up my binoculars and the first thing I saw was his Flyers. Instantly I went into hunt mode grab my bow and readied myself. They came through a little pinch point that lead him right to me. the doe passed by my stand at 3 yards!!! The buck was hot on her Trail. The buck stood behind a tree and I drew my bow he stepped out at 4 to 5 yards I stopped him and let the arrow fly. It was perfect. He crashed off on a dead run. His head sank further and further as he topped the horizon. Last thing I saw was him rolling then a big crash!!!!! I could not believe what just happened. Predator TC was hunting some public just south of me. I called him up right away and told him what happened he said don't go look wait for me, I'm on my way. I waited the long hour for him to arrive. We picked up the blood right away! He only went 100 yards!!!!! No ground shrinking here boys! Predator TC was just as speechless as I was. We both sat in aw and took in the moment!! I'd like to thank tc for all the help this season. He kept me on track when I was down..all it takes is one sit!

[url=http://s1106.photobucket.com/user/twlonewolf/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161104_201430_zpshwzksuwp.jpg.html]Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:51 am

I wish this hunt was more educational but its short and sweet. I hunted all day for the wisconsin gun opener on private in the high winds. I seen 5 deer total. Passed them all. My plan was the same as the day before, Sit the leeward side of the ridge in the thick and nasty. I was set up about 1/3 from the top in a thick draw. I had a unknown deer 30 minutes before daylight come by. It caught my wind bolted. It was dead quiet that morning. You could hear a pin drop....from 40 mph winds to dead still !!!!!! The buck came in just walking the dug way. I took my time as he steadily looked around. The buckTook a few steps then looked some more. He got into an opening and I let him have it! It's always good when they grow in size as you walk up on them..lol
Another great season in the books!

[url=http://s1106.photobucket.com/user/twlonewolf/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161120_091502-1_zps3eyuqgza.jpg.html]Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:54 am

I am at a point where I have most of what I need and if I want something I have the means to buy it. I would like to give back to the sport that has given so much to me. If I am picked as one of the contest winners I would like to donate my prize to someone who could use it more than me.

Why did I get my buck?
Postby magicman54494 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:11 am
My dad taught me to figure out why I had success then I could duplicate it and have many future successes. In his honor I am going to not just post a kill thread but instead post a why thread.
Somewhere on this site is an old post of mine that focused on the importance of edges in hunting. If someone knows how to find that post and link it to this one I would appreciate that very much because it would make a great supplement to this post.
I'm not going to spend a lot of time reliving the hunt itself. I shot a nice buck that was trailing a doe along with another nice 10 pointer. The other buck was a bit younger but will be a brute in a few years. I would like to post an aerial of the area to help explain what I'm writing but for obvious reasons I won't. I will include a rough drawing to help explain. I'm not much of an artist, lol.
I hunt the north country. Big woods.
Keys to success:

1. Edges.
I won't write a lot about this here. I hope someone posts a link to my old post and that will cover this topic pretty good. Deer love to travel edges. Two edges or more that come together form a bottleneck. There are many types of edges. The problem is there are edges everywhere. So which one do I hunt?

2. Deer sign.
The best edge or bottleneck in the world is no good if there are no deer using it. I want to stress this because most hunters seem to forget this. THE BEST BOTTLENECK IN THE WORLD IS NO GOOD IF NO DEER ARE USING IT! If you are a fisherman and you find this great lake and fish the best structure you will not catch a fish if there are no fish in that lake. I believe this is the most common mistake made by hunters. They find this great spot on an aerial photo and hunt it without success. They just refuse to leave that spot because "it looks so good".
Getting back to my hunt I put boots on the ground to check out spots that I had targeted thru the use of aerial photos. This spot had a great rub line leading to the spot I hunted. the rubs were on small whippy brush and were from early after velvet shed so I knew the buck was most likely hanging out there. I even found one of his beds just quick scouting. The next thing that impressed me was the amount of big buck tracks in the area which told me that there was a good one there and most likely more than one. I even ran into a small buck working the edge where I ended up hunting. The buck tracks were normal walking tracks. This is important because I have mistakenly set up on areas with lots of tracks only to later figure out that the tracks were made by bucks chasing a doe in heat. They will leave a lot of sign and it will make the spot look great but what is happening is I ended up hunting behind the deer. They were already long gone looking for other does. I have sat endless days wondering why I wasn't seeing anything. Eventually I figured out that I was too late and most likely wasting my time in that spot.
Does. Many hunters forget to look for doe sign. The does are key during the rut. I would rather set up on a good spot that is holding does than one with good buck sign. The bucks know where the does are and they will come! The spot I hunted had good doe/fawn sign. I suspect it was the reason for all the buck tracks.
Learning to read sign is key to success.
Maybe the best way to state this is to pick your AREA based on sign, pick your STAND SITE based on edges in that are that give you the best odds.
3. Hunter pressure
Even in the big woods up north there is hunter pressure. Bear hunters, bird hunters, deer hunters. It's pretty tough to get away from that. When I scout an area I pay close attention to hunter sign. Your odds of daylight movement by deer are much better in places that are not receiving a lot of pressure. This spot was being used by bear hunters (probably Dan and Bighunt) lol. Other than that it was pretty free of other hunters. No one was deer hunting in there. There were no spent shotgun shells or human or dog tracks so no one had been bird hunting in there either.
4. In season scouting.
I used to be so scared of scouting in season. I was so afraid of leaving scent in the area and ruining my chances. I discovered over the years of tracking that big bucks will walk right in my footsteps the night after I went thru a spot. I've even had them walk in my tracks just hours after I went thru an area. They don't seem to get too excited about older human scent. That being said, you better play the wind when you hunt because if they smell you they will come unglued. I try to avoid places where I believe deer will be bedded. I ABSOLUTELY WANT TO AVOID BLOWING DOES OUT OF THE AREA. Also, the buck I will kill from that spot may come from 5 miles away so my scouting most likely will have no effect on that deer. I do try my best to plan an entry to my stand that will avoid bumping deer on the day of my hunt. I also scout prepared to hunt. I also hunt while I scout. If I find a good spot I will stay and hunt it for the rest of the day.
I know this somewhat contradicts avoiding hunter pressure but light pressure applied during a quick scout is different than pressure applied daily by other hunters.

As you can see in my drawing there are many edges coming together in this spot. I did not include my stand site because that is wind direction specific. I shot my buck the next day after I scouted it. I hunted it the day I scouted it and if I was in the spot that I hunted the first day I could have jumped on the bucks back! The wind wasn't very good for that spot so I shifted to the other side. Note that the saddle is also a funnel. Again, I picked the area based on sign and my stand site based on edges.

Finally, my buck. He has cool double split brow tines. He weighted 190#. I guess he is 4-5 years old.

Good luck hunting fellow beasts!
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:06 am

My friend and I headed down to Ohio on 11-4 to a farm we gained permission on by knocking on doors. We hunted extremely hard for 4-1/2 days, pulling all day sits every day. We saw some really good bucks, but just couldn't get a shot. At one point a great buck was 5 steps from getting an arrow in him, but it wasn't meant to be. We were scheduled to leave the morning of the 9th and head back to Pa, but the weather was changing that morning and I talked my friend in to staying one more day.

The night of the 8th I was torn on where to go the next morning. This is our second year hunting this farm, so we were just starting to really figure things out. I'm a mobile hunter and had been moving around the farm quite a bit during the week trying to get a good feel for where the action was really happening. Something that I read in an interview, that was posted on here, with Andrea D'Aquisto has really stuck with me, and I'm paraphrasing here but it's something like "the difference between me and most other hunters is the I recognize hot sign and I sit it". I had hunted an area two days before and it was hot. I made myself leave the next day due to the wind. The wind switched back to my favor and I thought this is my best opportunity to score with one day left.

The morning of the 9th started as the others had. We woke up at about 4, got ready, and made the half hour drive to our farm. This is when things go sideways.

When I hunted this area the other day, I was hunting tight to the downwind side of a cedar thicket. I noticed however, that the bucks were all crossing the small creek in the same area. So I thought I would hunt right along the creek so that I could cover more area. It is so thick in there that to even get a 20 yard shot would be tough to do. Well, having not scouted this out in the past for a tree, I stood in the creek walking back and forth trying to look for a good tree in the area I wanted to be. I did this for about a half hour, and now I was just starting to see a hint of sunlight creeping over the horizon. Frustrated, I made up my mind that the creek crossing wasn't going to work, and that I was going to have to move off the creek about 30-40 yards. I pushed my way through the brush to a tree that was in the vicinity and finally made the decision to set up.

At this point the sun is coming up, and I have yet to set a stick. So, I set my four sticks and get my bow rope out only to realize that it's a tangled mess. I stand there for about 15 minutes trying to untangle it before giving up. I made the decision I was just going to have to set my stand, then climb back down get my backpack and bow, and climb back up with my bow in hand. When I hit the ground to grab my bow and backpack I hear a deer blow behind me and take off. Defeated I climb up up the tree with my bow in hand, which is no easy task.

It's now full blown daylight and I've just sat down....

I was in for about an hour when I hear rubbing on a tree down by the creek. I can't see down there but I'm immediately at attention, and straining to confirm what I think it is. It stops and there's a long period of silence. I'm wondering should I grunt? Then I decide against it due to the fact that all of the times that I've called on this farm have been met with a glance and walking in the other direction. Now, I'm sure it was only a couple of minutes, but it seemed like an eternity before I caught a glimpse of a deer. It was a doe, and she was working her way right to me, very slowly, and glancing down at the creek every so often. This is the best case scenario, and now my heart is really racing.

Finally, I catch a glimpse of him through the trees and immediately decide that he's a shooter. I'm telling myself to calm down and settling in. In the meantime the doe is working her way through the thick stuff just to my left and I'm praying that she works below me and not behind me, because the wind is is quartering from right to left into my face. Well just as she getting ready to hit my wind stream, she starts working her way back down between me and the creek. One of the only things that has gone right in this story, but I'll take it. As she is working her way to me, the buck is working his way along the creek until finally she is right under me. I have one opening 24 yards away that I think he's going to move through and I try to time my draw for when both deer have their heads behind a tree. Just before the buck steps into the opening I have a flashback to the buck I shot and didn't recover earlier this year, so all I can think is stay away from that shoulder.

He steps in the opening and I let the arrow fly, and watch it disappear in his rib cage. I remember thinking to myself, it's a little far back but it should be a good shot. He takes off and the doe hangs out for about 10 minutes trying to figure out what's going on. I wait about twenty minutes and then get down to go look for my arrow. I can't find my arrow or blood and panic starts to set in, then I realized I wasn't in the right spot and that he was standing about 3 yards closer. So I find blood, but there are also chunks of corn in the blood, so my first thought was, man I'm gonna have to let this sit for quite a while.

My friend meets me at my tree and he looks at the blood, and I tell him I'm gonna wait for a long time then send him back to hunting. After taking care of a few things and talking to the farmer for a while, 4 hours had gone by and I was more than willing to wait much longer, even overnight if needed but my friend talked me into checking into checking out trail a little further. Well, we do and the blood is good, real good. Once we get to the end there he is, but in the 4 hours he had been there, the coyotes had already gotten to his rump.

Normally this is where the story ends, but not this day......

Where I shot the buck was pretty far back in and the drag would be extremely difficult and I was well prepared to do it, but my friend pitched an idea. He thought it would be easier if we quartered it up and took straps and other meat and hiked it out. Well I bit, it probably would be quite a bit easier. So that's what we did. It wasn't easy and even carrying just the meat wasn't easy either.

When we finally get back to the truck, just as I threw the head and meat into the back of the truck, and almost on cue the ODNR drives by. They see us, back up, and pull in. My buddy says oh man this is never good. I on the other hand said hey man we haven't done anything wrong. I put a temporary tag on it, filled out my tag, what else was there? Well as it turns out, in Ohio, you are not allowed to cut up and pack out the deer unless you've checked it first. Needless to say they weren't very nice to me at all, but luckily all they did was fine me. It's my fault, I should have known the law. I'll pay the fine, and know better next time. So that's it.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:20 am

Tn public land 11pt!

I broke my story into paragraphs so you guys wouldn't have to read all of it unless u wanted. It's a bit long, but I wanted to include my new family in the story. The 11 point bit starts on the last few paragraphs.

First off I am so truly blessed in every way! My wife and I had been trying to have children for a few years without luck. I had been keeping deer season in mind while we were trying and wanted the babies birthday in early spring. After a few years it was out of my mind and I thought we weren't going to have any kids. Well, I found out my wife was pregnant back in May. We were both overly excited, but the timing wasn't what I had hoped for. She also was carrying twins due to come out in the middle of December. With twins typically being early thats whitetail rut.

My plan was to tear it up during bow season and be done by the time the girls arrived. I hunted very hard during bow season and was happy with the one doe I killed. I just did not have many opportunities to kill and saw very few deer during early season. Once mid November hit deer activity picked up. I killed my 2nd doe with my muzzleloader one afternoon after I got off work. The next weekend I managed to killed a very heavy 7 point in a cutover that was bullying smaller bucks.

On Wednesday evening, Nov 16 my wife goes into labor pain and we are in the hospital. We thought they were going to release her, but at 5 am on Thursday November 17 the twins weren't waiting any longer. My wife and twin girls made it through the ordeal well. The twins had to stay in the hospital for a few weeks because they were small. My wife stayed in the hospital for 4 days through all of it. I had been with her the entire time till. I asked her what she thought about me slipping out to the woods for a few hours on Saturday morning November 19. It was opening day and I had a brand new slug gun that I had yet to take hunting.

She encouraged me to go and I told her I'd be back around noon. I pulled up and parked next to another truck saturday morning and started the 1 mile and 1/2 trek back. I had not been in this section of woods since last season but had seen good numbers of deer in years past. Once I got close within a 1/3 mi of where I wanted to set up I saw the other hunters flash light in an opposite direction. Whoop, whoop smooth sailing he won't see me and he's not where I wanna hunt.

I set up and within a 30-45 mins I catch movement I scoped the deer and it's a doe, it's the lead doe. 5 of them trot by at 60 yards and head towards where the other hunter set up. 20 mins later I hear him shoot. 3 shots I counted. I thought surely he didn't shoot a doe. This wma doesn't allow does to be taken after statewide season opens.

30 minutes later the wind was picking up and everything was moving. I catch movement coming my way and it's a deer a few moments later I realize it's a buck then I plainly saw he was a 10 point. I was admiring him through the cross hairs when the gun went off! He was about 70 or 80 yards away, first clean shot I had on him. He dropped on the spot and struggled a bit. I put the 2nd shot through his heart to hurry up and end it.

Beautiful buck, a nice 10 point with a little flier off his G3 on right side! I'm ecstatic about my weekend. Now the work. I have a plastic sled in my truck but no deer cart, no phone service. I know there's someone else back here with me. There's no way I'm leaving this beautiful buck anywhere. I didn't think the sled would be worth the effort of 2 trips so I decided to just start dragging. I broke my stand down and took my outer layer of clothes off and stuffed everything under a deadfall.

I had made 3/4 of a mile down the access trail when Tim the other guy I parked next to caught up to me. He had a big beautiful 9 point on his cart with a lot of his other gear. He was older and winded but wiser and had a cart! I needed his help, he needed mine. It worked out well for us and we both stayed gabbing about deer hunting the whole time so it kept our minds off the task at hand.

I'm so blessed this season, thanks to all the beast who make this site what it is!

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:12 pm

I'm posting this for forum member mikeperry

My first encounter with the buck my kids named Super Freak was on the first morning of the 2014 Ohio bow season, he was a 3 by 5 with unique brow tines that grew at an angle along the main beam, I had a clear shot opportunity at 40 yards but elected to pass because I was hunting a few larger bucks on other properties and I really don't like shooting past 30 yards anyway. Little did I know at that time that this buck would come to consume my thoughts for the next couple seasons. I did not see him again until the end of January 2015 hunting with a wind chill well below zero, he came in on a well beaten trail in the heavy snow to feed in the bean field I was watching. One of the bucks with him caught me drawing on him and it was over, tag soup for the 2014-2015 Ohio season.

2014:

I started getting trail camera photos of him right away in the summer of 2015, he grew into a beautiful 6 by 5 with those same brow tines, I was not sure if he was 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 but I knew I wanted him. Again like the year before my first encounter with him was the first day of archery and again he was just out of my comfortable shooting range 40 yards so I passed in hopes of another encounter with him that season. I never saw him again until late January 2016 while hunting the same field edge in brutal weather conditions. Him and 5 other bucks were on a string feeding in the cut corn down the edge of the field heading right toward me when the goose hunters in the next property started sky blasting at some geese, Super Freak and 2 other bucks bolted out of there the other 3 could of cared less about the commotion. 2015-2016 Ohio tag soup again.

2015:

I really started pouring through my data from my 2014 and 2015 trail camera photos. I went back on a weather app and got wind direction data from every picture I had of him and a pattern emerged that he liked to travel on the property I was hunting with a SW wind. I searched and searched for his beds and antlers, I never found his sheds but I sure did find his beds. It was game on. He was bedding on a high spot over looking a long Beaver damn. From his bed he could watch the neighboring property as the hunters walked down to their feeders, those guys never stood a chance.

Because of the situation of where he was bedded I could not hunt him in his bedroom. I knew my best chance would be in November when he was searching for doe so I stayed out till then. I put 4 stands up in the spring of 2016 on trails near the beaver swamp as close as I could to where I found his beds and staging areas. I knew from trail camera photos that he used one particular trail twice during daylight in the first week of November 2015 season. He was coming off that bedding through the sawgrass and cattails and walking the transition of red brush and hard woods paralleling the beaver swamp from north to south. Guess that's why he liked a SW wind.

In 2016 he grew a double drop over his left eye:

My first sit in there was November 5th, I had a doe and fawn bed in the red brush in the transition a real nice 9 point about a 120 came down their trail about 45 minutes later, I grunted him over to get a better look and decided to pass him at 8 yards.

November 7th at first light I saw the Super Freak for a split second in the heavy fog he was about 70 yards out. I called to him soft one time but he was on a mission. November 9th shortly after light I heard geese getting loud and then suddenly fly up out of the swamp, Super Freak was pushing a doe through the swamp towards me. They were only 50 yards away but in the red brush where it was very thick, they did not seem to be coming my way so I snort wheezed at him. I could not believe when he left that doe and headed right toward me. I had the wind, he was maneuvering his head gear through some thick stuff and walked right in straight at me. I had no lane where he was standing just yards away because it was so thick there I never dreamed a deer would come through from that direction. It looked like he was going to walk right by me and give me a easy shot but he was on high alert, when I drew the slide on my string guard made a slight noise, he looked up at me and had that oh crap look, he spun around walked to the doe and they headed out. They walked out on a trail that intersected with the trail I saw him on the 7th. I also saw that 9 point and those doe all go by the same cherry tree on the transition.

November 13th I went on there in the middle of the afternoon with my xop sticks and my lone wolf and hung them in that Cherry tree 70 yards from where I had been hunting, I thought to myself this is the tree, what were you thinking all along?!

November 14th came I had the SW wind I had the high pressure to keep my scent up and away from Super Freak I had the water thermal from the swamp working in my favor too. When I walked in I jumped the doe and fawn, they must have been feeding on apples because the doe ran to the north but the doe fawn ran to the south. I thought I may be screwed, boy was I wrong. About a hour after I got settled in the stand the doe that went to the North started blowing, I'm dropping milk weed constantly and I knew she was not blowing at me. I started hearing footsteps from the south and here comes a buck I call intruder he's a 140 8 point and he was going right for that doe to the North. I tried to call him over to me he was making a b line for the doe on a trail about 40-50 yards out. He started following the doe grunting she wanted none of it. Then I hear another buck grunt from the direction intruder came from and I see the fawn to my south about 50 yards out walking right toward me.

The leaves were dry I can here deer walking all around, the fawn is coming right st me and I hear a buck behind her grunting and grunting walking toward her but I can't see him yet because it's too thick and out pops a 125 inch 8 point I knew well from trail camera photos, now all my attention is on him walking at me from the south but the whole time I can still hear the intruder buck grunting at the doe to my north, now I am hearing a deer walking through the water almost directly down wind but just off wind, the doe fawn is now skirting the edge of the swamp 20 yards to my east and the 125 inch 8 is following her about 25 yards behind.

All of a sudden I hear a deer come charging through the water in the swamp and start chasing the fawn in the swamp they make a half circle to my north east all I hear it stuff breaking grunting water splashing and here comes the fawn running right at me she stops right at the base of my tree towing Super Freak and the intruder buck, I lost track of what happened to the smaller one but it did not matter I have two mature bucks about to square off 10 yards from me the fawn is directly below me I draw and put the pin on Super Freaks vitals and shoot. He takes off and it sounded like deer were running all over. I watch SF go about 80 yards into the thicket moving real slow, my nock was lit and I was afraid I didn't have enough penetration. I watched him bed down. I sat in that tree 5 hours in the dark, staring at that nock and at the super moon that night, fitting I shot Super Freak on the night of the super moon.

I snuck out of there at about 10 pm just to be safe. I came back in the morning and found it was a perfect shot. The broad head was lodged in the brisket it just appeared there was bad penetration, He died quick.

He busted off half of his double drop off but I couldn't care less!

I've been back to scout and check trail cameras there a couple times since I killed him, the place just does not seem the same something is missing without him there. The good news is the intruder buck is still alive and well, this upcoming season my attention turns to him.

-Mike
Upper Iowa

Unread postby Upper Iowa » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Hill Country Success

First off a big thank you to all the Beast members & Dan. I came across one of his & Joe RE podcasts this past summer & my knowledge & confidence has grown a lot in the past year. Being a new Beast member I just want to acknowledge & show appreciation to everyone that has helped in my success this year. (not trying to score brownie points)

I use trail cams on field edges, & along old logging roads that I can check off of a 4-wheeler, leaving as little impact as possible. I got pictures of a buck I was excited to see travel through my 28 acre piece of property. It doesn't hold a lot of deer, but with ag fields to the north & thick cover to the south on neighboring properties, (which I don't have permission to hunt) it sits in a nice place. I got 5 pictures of this deer & they told me all I needed to know. Coming out of the field in the morning & into the field in the evening, I knew he was traveling somewhere onto the S/SE side of my hill. I set a stand up near the S/SW point where I discovered big rubs & another on the leeward/ N/NW side for the rut. Only went up there 2 times the entire summer/early fall to check things out. I sat once in early October & harvested a doe & was going stay off the property, hunt public & wait for the rut or the right conditions before I went back.

Listening to Dan's "hunting the October lull", changed my mind a when I saw the weather forecast for friday Oct. 21st. The temperature was going to drop almost 30 degrees & we were going to see our second frost in October. I thought for sure the deer movement in general would be good that morning. Hoping to get him coming back to bed late I decided to sit the leeward side stand, sitting between the top & military crest which give me a better view of the big ag field with binoculars than sitting on the S/SW point. At first light I had a little 6 point come by no action for about an hour. Then around 8 am I had 4 doe come running by me. I thought to myself "what spooked them" "that little 6 point must be harassing them already". To my surprise a nice 3 yr. old 10 point was chasing after them. They all stopped in a little open area on top of the hill & one of them broke away from the group, ran north while the others went south. The 3 yr. old took off after the doe to the north & I heard one of the deepest, loudest grunt/growls I ever heard in my life. I grunted back, got a response, then nothing but silence after that. The sound came from the thick bedding area, cedars & mixed hardwoods to the south. After about 30 minutes of nothing I heard the growl again, this time to the SE, which had me a little worried being there was a N/NW wind, but light, only 2/3 mph & it was a clear, sunny, frosty morning, so thermals rising up had to have helped. Again, I grunted, got a response, then nothing. After, I don't know, but felt like forever, the buck finally made an appearance. It was him.. I couldn't believe it, second sit of the year, (first in that spot) there he was. Taking his sweet old time, full alert had me worried as ever. He went into the little opening & sniffed the ground where that one doe that broke from the group stood, & I was praying he wouldn't take up the pursuit, because I would have no shot. After sniffing the ground he started coming towards me with & I was hoping he would go back on the trail the doe had came running by me on. he stood behind cedars trees which gave me no shot for 5 minutes, felt like forever again, & scanned the area. If he turned to the south it was game over for me, to thick, no shot, Turning to the north onto the trail is what I needed & ultimately what he did. There was a scrape just off the trail the 3 yr. old chased those does on, & he went right to it, stuck his nose up to the limb, slightly quartered away at 30 yards. I was already at full draw when he stepped into an opening & release. Perfect shot, double lung, & I lost it. I knew I put a great hit on him couldn't believe that it just happened. I stayed in stand for 20 minutes, got my arrow, saw blood & went back to my truck to call for help. Waited an hour & half for track & easy blood trail to follow, 50 yards later there he was.

https://s7.postimg.org/dv4tde7cr/10_21_16_10pt.jpg

[img]https://s7.postimg.org/dv4tde7cr/10_21_16_10pt.jpg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”