Most important things?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vtbuck
500 Club

Most important things?

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:57 am

The more I read different forums on the Beast the more questions I have. So my question to everyone is what are the most important things before the shot? I'm not talking gear. I'm talking wind, scouting, cover, etc... And is there one type of landscape that you feel more confident in killing a big buck in and why? By landscape I mean swamp, hardwood ridge, pines, a thicket, etc... Not sure if this has been covered? Trying to become more of a beast and less complacent hitting prehung sets.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Re: Most important things?

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:24 am

I would say the two biggest things for me are entry to your stand location and wind direction.

I havent killed too many big bucks, actually 0 to be honest but guys on here tend to say that hunting just off a known bedding area gives you the best odds at a big buck. I am still struggling as a hunter to find beds in general never mind buck beds lol. But those are the biggest.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:01 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471

Have you been to the tactical threads sticky? Lots there.
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:24 pm

SCOUTING!!! and......SCOUTING!!!! Knowing what is going on is paramount. It doesnt matter hoe skilled a general is, nor how disciplined and hard bitten his army is if he doesnt kno his enimies posistion, avenues of approach, escape routes, etc.
So it is with deer hunting. It dont matter how sneaky you are, how well u read the wind, etc; if you havent got a REALLY good idea of the scenario.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:31 pm

rut leeward side ridges in hilly country in that 1/3 from top is a great way to see deer and bucks (but not good for targeting a single buck unless you know his bed)

i like marshes because beds are often used on any wind and the scouting or observation will tell you how the buck will exit

i do agree scouting is key

for me flat land farmland is tough because deer have so many options to bed and move (just my .02)
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:33 pm

Confidence is everything. Have any doubt and it won't happen. Shoot your bow with a real confident attitude and then shoot thinking you will miss every shot. Guess what, you will miss.

Guys here put their hearts into deer hunting, picking that perfect spot, hunting it the right time, wind, moon phase, all that. The one common ingredient is they are confident in their scouting and their judgement. You might get lucky now and then. Be confident you scouted correctly, picked the right tree for the right wind. Once you lose the confidence, you will make mistakes and not get your hard earned and deserved shots. Be confident and hunt confident.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:53 pm

Scouting! Find a buck, find his weaknesses that allows me my best odds at him, prep the location. Knowing your equipment/gear, bow, stand etc... is all very important.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”