SE Louisiana hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SouthGAPSE
Facebook: Brett Austin Bailey

SE Louisiana hunting

Unread postby SouthGAPSE » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:47 am

I will be working in Donaldsonville, LA for an Engineering co-op program. I am really interested in deer hunting while I'm there and have already found a piece of public land. The only problem is I will have to pay over $300 for a license and only hunt deer for about a month. I was wondering about beast members' input on whether or not it is worth it to pay that much for a license to hunt this area? I may also hunt ducks and turkey.

Thanks everyone!

Swampbuck

Re: SE Louisiana hunting

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:24 am

I live about an hour from Donaldsonville. There are some public areas around there. The deer hunting is not great but doable. It's better a couple hours north but It probably depends on expectations.

What month would you be able hunt? December/January are far better as the early season here is really tough. Where are you used to hunting, just asking to see what you are used to.

The duck hunting is good here but I can't speak much to the turkey.

Who are you co-oping for. I do engineering work as well. There are a couple other guys on here that can prolly give you specifics on wherever u are looking to hunt as well
Make It Happen
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:53 am

About an hour forty five from Donaldsonville Swamp buck hit on the head. Folks are friendly down here, you might get a couple invites if the topic comes up at work. A lot of families have large tracts of land down there.
SouthGAPSE

Unread postby SouthGAPSE » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:44 am

Swampbuck wrote:I live about an hour from Donaldsonville. There are some public areas around there. The deer hunting is not great but doable. It's better a couple hours north but It probably depends on expectations.

What month would you be able hunt? December/January are far better as the early season here is really tough. Where are you used to hunting, just asking to see what you are used to.

Who are you co-oping for. I do engineering work as well. There are a couple other guys on here that can prolly give you specifics on wherever u are looking to hunt as well

I would be hunting January/ February. I am used to hunting swamps, pines, and hardwoods in south GA. I am co-oping for CF Industries. Thanks Swampbuck!
n.sampey

Unread postby n.sampey » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:29 pm

You kno what they say about find thick, nasty, and hard to reach places right... well buddy down here those guys do that just to kill does lol those coonasses are some tough folks dragging does a mile through a swamp i wouldnt put a boat in.... pretty much all nasty but there are deer out there.
IF YOU EVER HAVE A DAY IN THE WOODS WHERE YOU DONT LEARN SOMETHING, THEN YOU DIDNT PAY CLOSE ENOUGH ATTENTION
SouthGAPSE

Unread postby SouthGAPSE » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:06 am

n.sampey wrote:You kno what they say about find thick, nasty, and hard to reach places right... well buddy down here those guys do that just to kill does lol those coonasses are some tough folks dragging does a mile through a swamp i wouldnt put a boat in.... pretty much all nasty but there are deer out there.

Well with that n.swampey, do you recommend I wear snake boots or gaiters to get in those thick areas?

Thanks
n.sampey

Unread postby n.sampey » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:45 am

I would recommend some waders or a lightweight pirogue... snakes ahould be a problem from here on out... If you are still around come early oct. I would defjnately get some snake boots... and if you are ever in North La give me a shout let you hit some public with me
IF YOU EVER HAVE A DAY IN THE WOODS WHERE YOU DONT LEARN SOMETHING, THEN YOU DIDNT PAY CLOSE ENOUGH ATTENTION
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:10 am

I use hip boots. That will get you through most of the areas you will be willing to venture more than likely. But i also use waders when scouting so i dont have to be so careful lol... Sampey is right a small pirogue does open access up as well.

Are you going to be heading north or are you looking to hunt maurepaus since it's closer. I hunt there is reason I'm asking and can prolly be more specific if that's where your looking
Make It Happen
SouthGAPSE

Unread postby SouthGAPSE » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:11 am

Swampbuck wrote:
Are you going to be heading north or are you looking to hunt maurepaus since it's closer. I hunt there is reason I'm asking and can prolly be more specific if that's where your looking

I will be hunting maurepaus swamp while I'm there
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:42 pm

I live about 20 mins from CF.. There is some descent private land deer hunting and clubs around in the back of the sugar cane fields but the public close by are all miles and miles of cypress swamps.

These deer live their entire lives in the water. I've still been unable to put any pattern to their bedding in the swamps other then finding more in the slightly dirtier areas. There's small hills and old logs scattered throughout the whole swamp you can find beds on. Unless you can find a levee out of the way that doesn't have boat traffic near it.

Maurepaus is probaly 85-90% cypress swamp with high ground levees along the bayous and canals. The guys that do good there, still hunt it for the 2 week gun season. If your planning to bow hunt it bring your determination and I personally wouldn't pass any shots on legal deer if I were you as they are few and far between.

There's also sherburne about an hour drive away with more high ground and plenty of hogs!

These last few weeks the snakes have started to finally disappear but if you get a nice sunny warm day they will be out warming up. Just watch your step and look before you sit on a log. They shouldn't be much of a problem. Same thing with the gators.

Lacrosse hip boots and a good walking stick are mandatory.
SouthGAPSE

Unread postby SouthGAPSE » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:08 pm

JakeB wrote:I live about 20 mins from CF.. There is some descent private land deer hunting and clubs around in the back of the sugar cane fields but the public close by are all miles and miles of cypress swamps.

These deer live their entire lives in the water. I've still been unable to put any pattern to their bedding in the swamps other then finding more in the slightly dirtier areas. There's small hills and old logs scattered throughout the whole swamp you can find beds on. Unless you can find a levee out of the way that doesn't have boat traffic near it.

Maurepaus is probaly 85-90% cypress swamp with high ground levees along the bayous and canals. The guys that do good there, still hunt it for the 2 week gun season. If your planning to bow hunt it bring your determination and I personally wouldn't pass any shots on legal deer if I were you as they are few and far between.

There's also sherburne about an hour drive away with more high ground and plenty of hogs!

These last few weeks the snakes have started to finally disappear but if you get a nice sunny warm day they will be out warming up. Just watch your step and look before you sit on a log. They shouldn't be much of a problem. Same thing with the gators.

Lacrosse hip boots and a good walking stick are mandatory.

Thanks jakeb I may try out sherburne too while I'm there. I will definitely get some hip waders. Me and my roommate plan on trying to get on some private land as well as maurepaus. With limited time and in season scouting, Would you recommend just looking for sign along the transition lines of swamp or checking the high ground for beds.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:08 am

The high ground on the levees gets pressure. The bucks will avoid them for bedding . Some does will bed on them so during bow season it's a good place to go for does. As jake noted alot of the bucks killed are done so by stalking and jumping them off the mounds. The bucks will be out in the nasty stuff on small mounds. Pinpointing bedding in that terrain takes time. Finding sign on the transitions is a good tactic. Keep in mind the transitions are pretty subtle and you will hardly notice them. Some of the best transitions are underwater. Where the harder bottom meets the softer does funnel the deer. Not tremendously but to some degree. The only sign you will find is rubs so keep a good eye out for that.
Make It Happen
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:36 am

Were you able to make it out there?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”