DIY Montana Assistance

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

VA5326

DIY Montana Assistance

Unread postby VA5326 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:42 pm

Hello All,

I'm really interested in trying my hand at a DIY Public Whitetail Hunt in the Southeast (or Southwest) portion of the state. I'd be indebted to you if you could assist me in planning it. I'm not looking for the crown jewels, just public areas to focus on and potential places to stay while there. I'd truly appreciate your time and assistance. PM me if you prefer. Much appreciated. I'm planning this for 2018.

If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Re: DIY Montana Assistance

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:18 pm

I've heard the areas around river bottoms are good in Montana. This is something I've thought about doing as well. Good luck!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:10 am

Does MT have over the counter tags or will you have to draw a permit? If you have to draw, you can likely buy a preference point or two...
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:30 am

I was just talking to my wife about a DIY elk hunt in Montana. Whitetail would be fun too!

I'm following this thread.
Kylet

Unread postby Kylet » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:56 am

If you want a deer permit only you will have to put in for the draw. Pretty sure you have 100%odds with the leftovers selling out quickly. If you are looking to do a deer/elk combo, you can wait and buy over the counter. Deer tag is good for whitetail or mule deer. I believe in some hunt districts you can get a whitetail doe permit over the counter. I've spent the last 3 September's in sw Montana and can tell you that the deer are heavily concentrated around the irrigated bottoms. I have seen a few decent bucks in the foothills while chasing elk but nothing like in the private bottoms. It is nothing to see a dozen pny bucks laying under one pivot. I've never tried gaining access to these properties but I'd imagine it would be fairly difficult. There are public areas along the river that are more geared towards fishing, but they do allow bow hunting. There was quite a bit of sign in these areas and I believe I could have killed a deer there if I designated more time there, but the bulls that call the mountain peaks their home were calling my name.

Never been to the se corner of the state so I can't help you there. I do know that it is known for its mule deer opportunity though.

I did do a whitetail hunt in NE Wyoming some years back. We went 2 for 4 on velvet whitetails. Public land diy. Find an alfalfa field that buts upto national forest. Hike your but off and get in between bed and feed.

Bottom line. Forget the deer and buy an elk tag. Lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”