Hunting partners...moving on

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlog
500 Club

Hunting partners...moving on

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:30 am

How would you handle moving on from a hunting partner? What if your goals and styles didn't really mesh? You are good friends and you don't want to lose them as a friend but you don't really want to hunt with them anymore?

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Hunting partners...moving on

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:40 am

You can start being busy or having other plans or having to work. Slowly ween yourself off the hunting.

Now, if you've been hunting every weekend with this fellow for 10 years, there is gonna be some repercussion and you should just spell it out.

I had a buddy come out and hunt a lease with me - he shot 3 deer, I had told him he could shoot 2. Told him outright that he wouldn't be hunting with me as a guest again - he would be a paying lease member or we'd be traveling somewhere to hunt. Baffles the mind but is what it is...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:50 am

I do most of my hunting alone but I still hunt with old friends from time to time. It doesn't have to be cut and dry 100% one way or the other. When I hunt with friends they aren't as prepared as I am so I try and take the lead on where we hunt and set us both up in spots that we have a chance at a buck. Maybe someday you turn your hunting buddie into a beast, maybe not, that is kind of up to them but once they see your having success they might be more ready to join you on some crazy hunt way back in no mans land.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:00 am

Honestly it's nice being on your own but it's also nice having a friend who you can share the hunt and ideas with. It's a tough balance. I'm changing my out of state trips. It's funny there's 8,000 acres and everybody hunts around me...Hmmmmm. to remedy that we will try a new place next year with tough access. Remember most people don't want to work at it so when you say I'm doing this, and it involves work, most people won't join you.

If you are going on trips take plenty of vehicles. It's worth the extra in gas.

Pick places where there are truly tough access. They won't follow you.

Remember hunting is fun and if there is something that is not making it fun. Remedy it
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:08 am

Well if he really is a good friend. You should simply explain to him you have different goals in mind. Or maybe you guys can draw up a plan that works for you both. You can also Find some new ground to hunt and part ways for the most part. I enjoy hunting with friends and family but I'm more a solo guy these days. I've parted ways with a couple guys over the years. Still go back in the memory bank and appreciate all the memories. Miss those days.
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:46 am

Nocturnal wrote:Well if he really is a good friend. You should simply explain to him you have different goals in mind. Or maybe you guys can draw up a plan that works for you both. You can also Find some new ground to hunt and part ways for the most part. I enjoy hunting with friends and family but I'm more a solo guy these days. I've parted ways with a couple guys over the years. Still go back in the memory bank and appreciate all the memories. Miss those days.

This is pretty much me and how I hunt. There just aren't that many other people around me that hunt the way I do. Also I have a crazy work schedule so I am almost forced to hunt this way when I hunt at home. I have been able to make a few out of state hunts with friends and they have always been enjoyable. If he is a good friend then I would just have a chat with him and tell him your thoughts/ideas. I'm sure you will be able to work something out that benefits you both!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:11 am

I hunt 50% of the time with my brother-in-law. We hunt together but usually not on the exact same piece of property. He has a climber and likes to sit in the hardwoods. He doesn't really hunt for big bucks. He just likes seeing deer. I enjoy the company in the truck. Talking about our sits. I hunt alone quite a bit, but still enjoy the camaraderie of sharing hunts with someone else.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:20 am

Just plain old tell him.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:25 am

This last bow season I went totally solo for the first time in a long time. Took mum out for gun season though. The last 5 seasons or so I have hunted some public land with a few friends and my brother. I try to get them on deer and it never works out because they never listen to my advice, or their wives and GFs start texting them asking when they gonna be home and so they end up leaving early :roll: .

Last season a buddy of mine I was hunting with ended up getting lost in the woods at dark. The wind was blowing hard, so he couldn't hear my whistles. I ended up going into the dark woods to find him. What a nightmare that could have turned into.

This season I killed a few does during bow season and suddenly these same guys I've hunted with for almost a decade want me to help them get one by showing them where I been hunting and setting them up there. I simply ignored their messages and phone calls all season. I have gotten to a point where I just do not want to help or hunt with my friends anymore. It seems they want to leech off my success more than anything and they never do anything for me in return. Like my quote at the bottom, "Make your own success". Thats my new mantra from here on out. Maybe my buddies should do the same.

Its nothing personal. Its just that Im dead set on a mission and nothing should get in the way of that.
Last edited by Crazinamatese on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:30 am

If he is a true friend you will figure out how to deal with it. If your friendship is drifting, just do what you have to when it comes to hunting
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:22 am

Depending on the guys your hunting with sometimes it's best to go solo if you want to grow as a hunter. When hunting with someone else I tend to get distracted and not focus 100% on my plans or goals. The worst thing was riding together and always waiting for someone that was not always very motivated to get out hunting as early as I wanted and gung-ho to reach deep hunting spots. This really restricted me and hurt my success. When I went solo I immediately started seeing and shooting bigger and older bucks. I am a much better hunter because of it and also much happier not having to deal with the negativity and drama that sometimes goes along with bad hunting partners. The worst part was guys getting lazy and moving in on me because they knew I was seeing nicer bucks. These days I keep my mouth shut about where I have been seeing big bucks. Don't get me wrong still I enjoy the hunting camp atmosphere and trading tactics but then I think it's best we all do our own thing and go our own way each day.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:52 am

I've had to part ways with Tiff. She was crushed, but it was for the best. She fell way too deep for me and I wanted to save her being. :violin:

However, I did hear through the grapevine that when Tiffany and the other guy have a boy he will be named Eddy!

I digress. :whistle:

She's done alright for herself and that's comy Orting to me. :shhh:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:17 am

I can usually keep my solo hunts as true serious hunts. That leaves any hunt with other folks as an "experience" hunt. Knowing your hunting partners tendencies should lead you one way or another but moving on is an option for sure.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:49 am

Dewey wrote:Depending on the guys your hunting with sometimes it's best to go solo if you want to grow as a hunter. When hunting with someone else I tend to get distracted and not focus 100% on my plans or goals. The worst thing was riding together and always waiting for someone that was not always very motivated to get out hunting as early as I wanted and gung-ho to reach deep hunting spots. This really restricted me and hurt my success. When I went solo I immediately started seeing and shooting bigger and older bucks. I am a much better hunter because of it and also much happier not having to deal with the negativity and drama that sometimes goes along with bad hunting partners. The worst part was guys getting lazy and moving in on me because they knew I was seeing nicer bucks. These days I keep my mouth shut about where I have been seeing big bucks. Don't get me wrong still I enjoy the hunting camp atmosphere and trading tactics but then I think it's best we all do our own thing and go our own way each day.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I get lead astray when I hunt or scout with other people. I'm by myself usually but recently he's been asking me more and more about going together to scout and I just prefer to go alone. It's kind of like you go your way and I'll go mine. I get way more accomplished alone.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:54 am

Not to sound selfish but I put tons of time into scouting trying to find good areas. Then take someone, they mark it down on their phone and get themselves a nice new hunting spot with no actual effort involved. It makes me not want to hunt with anyone.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”